What do people use to support their models when working on them ?

Recently back in the hobby after a long layoff, looking for practical ideas for some sort of box/support for my average sized foamys when working on them.

What do people use ?

Was thinking us using one of those cheapish Stanley workmates in some way but I bet there is better out there just cant find it

Advert

Cheap workmate, on top of which I clamp the field-box cradle, onto which the model will sit as per normal, right way up or upside-down.  A bungee cord around the whole lot - padded with soft foam - is useful if I need to more firmly stabilise the model.

blush Err... having foolishly tripped and kicked off the fin just before taxiing out for my second flight this afternoon, I'll be mending the rudder shortly using exactly this setup!

Edited By Jonathan M on 03/10/2017 19:46:35

Christmas is coming! Lidl/Aldi will probably soon be restocking their keyboards - for which a stand is usually available. About 15 quid as I recall. (They probably do a cheap ironing board too, but that's outside my area of expertise!)

BTW, why is it that 'proper' foam model stands are so blinking expensive?

Posted by Mike T on 03/10/2017 21:05:43:

Christmas is coming! Lidl/Aldi will probably soon be restocking their keyboards - for which a stand is usually available. About 15 quid as I recall. (They probably do a cheap ironing board too, but that's outside my area of expertise!)

BTW, why is it that 'proper' foam model stands are so blinking expensive?

Coz they weigh less than ironing boards. wink

Posted by Rob Tothill on 03/10/2017 21:45:32:
A foam thingy like this https://www.wirelessmadness.com/overlander-rc-model-plane-stand-eva-foam-585-x-300-x-400mm-ol-168?language=en¤cy=GBP&gclid=CjwKCAjw6szOBRAFEiwAwzixBUKly_GzfvUxi26yr5bb3WROhExOhCedGQmGl6PK3nFSGSl82hy_BxoC8BIQAvD_BwE

I've got one of those which I used occasionally but it only cost about £7 from Al's Hobbies at one of the Harrogate Christmas 'shows' years ago. They work well and come apart easily for transport of storage.

Geoff

Really depends what it is you're doing, and where you want to do it. Cheap car-wash sponges on a table are great for resting a model on while you're working on it. Sometimes I use an ironing board. But if you want to test-run the motor for, say a watt-meter test or range test you could knock up a restrainer for a cheap work-mate type stand like this which I use for all my models, foam and built-up.  This is for home of course.  Not ideal for field work unless you've got a big van!

Bench Test Rig 3Bench Test Rig 1

Edited By Romeo Whisky on 04/10/2017 12:09:56

Edited By Romeo Whisky on 04/10/2017 12:10:31

when her indoors isn't looking ,the dining room table and the kitchen bench....actually Mrs A is ok about where I play with my toys.one of my deceased modelling friends was quite at home running his 70 F/S four stoke in the dining room when his Mrs was out and a bit of spraying (cub yellow).she couldn't understand where the yellow dust had come from?he told her it was off the local power station chimneys ........

ken Anderson....ne....1 modelling support dept...

It's amazing what happens when the cat's away!

There was a flight of steps up onto the lawn just about 3' opposite the kitchen door of a mate's parents house (he lived with them). They were on holiday and Ken reckoned if he set off in the kitchen on his Greeves trials motor cycle he could ride up the steps - and demonstrated it! Villiers engines weren't noted for smokeless running and the house was filled with the smell of a 2 stroke engine and blue smoke.

I assume the smoke and smell were dissipated by the time his parents came back from holiday

My wife was equally tolerant when she arrived back from shopping and found a BSA Gold Star cylinder head in the oven and valve guides in the fridge.

We're both lucky, Ken yes

Geoff

Old kitchen table in conservatory (if there's no sewing machine on it), or decommissioned ironing board topped with18" wide mdf - this is really handy as you can just as easily work on it from either side. Usually the work can be lifted off on the building board in between building sessions. Bit inconvenient- but it keeps the peace.

At the field one of Al's blue rubber model stands, bungeed onto my old Balsacraft folding field stand (or a couple of home made efforts using the dense, hard white foam that support fridges and washing machines in their delivery boxes, one a bit bigger than Al's, the other a bit smaller.

My home made mobile support thingy with tool/bits tray. It folds down reasonably flat. Its great in the man cave and goes in the car to the field if required. Had enough of bending/kneeling and getting modellers soggy knees! Yet to paint it up................... to many things to do and not enough time!!!!

img_20171011_132408669_hdr.jpg

Edited By Keith Sharples on 11/10/2017 13:52:02

Edited By Keith Sharples on 11/10/2017 13:53:09

Edited By Keith Sharples on 11/10/2017 13:55:23