Fuel Choice?

Neil Orangepeel

I'm sure there are a thousand "which is the best fuel" questions - so please don't throw rotten fruit

I have a new SC 46 engine for my trainer and I am wondering which of these (easy for me to obtain) fuels I should, or shouldn't be using? Or does It not really matter?

1. Duraglo
2. Model Technics Irvine
3. Model Technics TechPower

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Neil

Advert

Techpower 5 without a doubt.

Duraglo is awful and 25 years out of date with all that castor. I have been begging Model Technics to discontinue it!

The Irvine fuels are also quite messy and the techpower is a better choice. I had forgotten how messy it was until a customer brought an engine in and needed a hand setting it up. I used his fuel (contest 10) and couldnt believe the difference between it and the Laser 5 fuel we normally use. I was plastered with oil after using the C10. couldnt believe it.

so yes, the techpower will be the best option. If you spot Laser 5 from model technics that would also be just fine as its almost the same as techpower and just uses a different oil.

Optifuel 12 for me, also use formula irvine from time to time. I prefer the klotz oil based fuels, though have used techpower thats also good stuff.

Seen the liner from an OS 55 that was run on a certain fuel which they will not tell you what or how much oil is in it, after 1 season from new, it was down to the brass inside with no plating left at all.

Posted by Richard Wills 2 on 27/10/2017 11:17:26:

Seen the liner from an OS 55 that was run on a certain fuel which they will not tell you what or how much oil is in it, after 1 season from new, it was down to the brass inside with no plating left at all.

If you dont know whats in it, dont use it. We wont warranty engines run on fuels where the contents are not known.

ohh! dear the second had here say about a certain oil ( OS did have a problem with certain liners coatings a few years back i seem to remember) , with modern synth oils you doun't need as much oil for it to do the job and i have been using it for years and so have many others with out any issues

with this fuel i believe it uses one of the fuchs oild due to it anti corosion properties , this oil is fantastic but you must not use other oils as it will not mix. see here for a oil content clue ( in german) and here for use. ( use google translate)

I belive the other low oil they use is this

this info should help inform ones personal opinion and we all have one cheekyangel

Model Technics Irvine for me, I really don't understand why anyone is upset by a little oil deposit down the side of their model. Wipes are really cheap and I love the smell of the oil..........

If you really want clean, go dentist drill, sorry I meant electric nerd

Posted by John Stainforth on 27/10/2017 16:25:27:

Another vote for Optifuels, certainly for OS and Saito engines. I generally Optimix 12 2 stroke as a compromise for both, although there is 4-stroke version with slightly higher oil content.

Jon Harper recommends Techics Laser 5 for Laser engines (I think); maybe he would like to comment.

Yes I have heard that and laser 5 has 15% . Its uses ML70 which is a good oil (synthetic) and thats what I used when I used to mix my own a few years back and at 15% too

There is nothing wrong with Prosynth fuel. Just because Westons will not divulge its formula is no reason to stop it's use.- you haven't a clue what the formula of your car engine oil is but that doesn't prevent you from using it. I've used their oil for all my engines for many years completely without problems, including Laser. It's a known fact that some OS engines had big problems with peeling cylinder plating some time back, regardless of what oil was used. There seems to be a clique determined to rubbish Prosynth fuel without offering any concrete proof to back up what they claim, other than to say"I don't know what's in it". I find it all rather strange.

Posted by Solly on 27/10/2017 17:47:40:

you haven't a clue what the formula of your car engine oil is but that doesn't prevent you from using it.

You don't need to know the formula for car engine oil. For my car, it just needs to be made to the manufacturers spec, and labelled as such, or I won't use that either. But like you said, they are our own engines and we are free to choose what they drink. If you have good results with brand x, thats great. I pick my fuel from my own experience and making my own mind taking note from other peoples experiences and the advice of a very well respected engine manufacturer in my opinion should at least be considered.

To be honest, with Weston not telling you the oil content of prosynth, when I ran up my 4 OS 40la engines on the large refurb I’ve just done, it took 20 mins to clean all of the oil off the underside of the wing. There is plenty of oil content in that fuel. Used it for years without problems...only because the club gets a bulk discount.

Followed Laser Jon's advice to convert to Model Technics Laser 5 brew at the beginning of the year and it's been a wise move. All my ASP fourstrokes have performed well on it and the models do remain quite a bit cleaner. I have tried a couple of gallons of Prosynth a while back and whilst the engines all ran nicely on it, I did encounter an odd problem with carburettor jets becoming blocked with a white residue if the engines hadn't been run for a couple of weeks . This occurred on all my engines ASP 52,61,120 four strokes. Engines would not start at the beginning of a flying session until the main needles had been removed and jets blown through with fresh fuel. Engines would run fine until being left again. Never seen this with any other fuel, so the reason remains a mystery.

Edited By Cuban8 on 27/10/2017 18:47:31