Looking for a ARTF Trainer - non-foam

I like the Seagull Boomerang available from Steve Webb models for less than £100.

Not only may this be fitted with either an i/c or an electric motor, you have the choice of either tricycle or conventional undercarriage. Furthermore, the semi symmetrical wing section allows it to be flown in quite a breeze too.

Of all the trainers I have flown, I would go with an original R/E Super 60 which would be more than adequately powered by any normal 4S system - unfortunately the Junior 60 does not have a same directional stability.

Of the later aileron trainers, I would look for an early Tiger Trainer 40 which was expensive, but was constructed to an excellent standard, flew incredibly well, and I very nearly bought one a sports model.

IMHO by far the best trainer is the Irvine Tutor 40/Tutor 40 II. This one model can take from absolute beginner, through the A & B tests and beyond. A very close 2nd is the Seagull Boomerang. Both of these models have semi-symmetrical wing section accompanied by just the right amount of dihedral to make them straightforward to fly the basics yet reasonably capable of all the basic aerobatics. Models you can reliably go back to when training is completed and have loads of fun.

Behind these there are other very good trainers, the rest of the Seagull trainer range in particular (but see next paragraph), some of which have been mentioned, then the there's the WOT 4 and similar.

Then there's the good trainers. They are good but I would be less inclined to recommend because of their flat bottomed wing section, the Seagull Arising Star being one such example. They fly exceptionally well and very easily in fairly calm conditions but are more tricky in the wind and not so good with aerobatics as the aforementioned. Compare flying an Arising Star inverted with A Tutor 40 II, provided they are properly balanced the Arising Star will do it but the Tutor 40 will do so much better.

On the subject of balancing, I'll get on my usual hobby horse, don't balance a little on the nose heavy side, "a little" is about the same length as a piece of string and often results in a model that flies well but lands badly, for which the undercarriage usually gets the blame. The instructions provide you with a balance point that works, so work to that.

One final point, if you already have foam trainers then the likelihood is that you already have at least a little flying experience with very easy to fly models, so it might a good time to consider one with a semi-symmetrical wing section whether it's one I suggest or not.

+1 for the Irvine Tutor 40 - if you can find one, as I see Ripmax don't list it on their website anymore crying

For the reasons Ian mentions I personally find it a great trainer to teach with. If not available then I would also recommend looking at a semi symmetrical wing which certainly enables a more spirited flight repertoire to move your skill set on.

The light semi-symmetrical wing trainers for stable flight in our normally windy environment, absolutely! The issue I have with the Tutor is that it is aerodynamically a Gangster 63, but heavier. I was going to say that it is a trainer designed to breed the need for the dependency of an instructor, given the extremely high landing speed. HOWEVER, given a very large field of mown grass, or a good size section of airfield, I get the point, but make sure it has the full power of a good .46 as a minimum, and that is higher than 4S country.

Who has actually TRIED to teach using a WOT 4, other than me? As a trainer, the WOT 4 makes an excellent sports aerobatic model with neutral stability - oh, that's what it is!

Wow! Aerobatics too.

At this stage the OP has said very little about his experience, ability and needs.

If he is just starting out, depending on ability, it might take quite some time to get to the aerobatic level, probably in excess of the life of the trainer.

Also we don't know his building experience. It is not a simple matter stuffing an electric motor into an ARTF, even those that claim they are for IC or electric. There are very few ARTFs that truly accomodate both easily. There is always some compromise, usually around it being difficult to instal the battery, or the number of church roofs needed to balance it.

If the OP is indeed a beginner in both senses, ie building and flying, then I would suggest again he goes for a dedicated trainer designed for electric. Hence my recommendation of the E-Pioneer. Its been around for quite some time, batteries are very easy to fit, it balances with little or no weight added and it flies well. With the 3000 4S battery I outlined above, there is a good 10-12 minutes flying time available, its easy to fly, and more importantly easy to land, though I do fully agree with Ian Jones' comment on the balancing. Another thing in favour of the E-Pioneer is the ability to buy the various parts such as wings or fuselage as spares. These dont break the bank either, a pair of wings or a new fuselage can be had for under £40.

• 11 months later...
Resurrecting this thread as my foam Bushmaster had a landing today from which it will not recover.
I have built a Mayfly (2s electric 16oz auw), which my novice skills get up in the air and down safely. Really easy to fly, but then not learning much. The Bushmmaster was a lot bigger and heavier: better in a wind like today, but it was never really a trainer and needed all of its 4s power.

The Boomerang and Wot Trainer suggested here are both even heavier at 6lbs. The OP asked for 3s or 4s. Are there any good 3s trainers? 3.5lbs on a 3s 2200. The non-foam Wot4-E is that size, but more acrobatic than trainer...

I mostly have a friend on a buddy box, but not always. (Not today)

Not sure where Dad_flyer got the info' about the Wot Trainer, the ones I've seen at our clubs are far less than 6lbs and suitably powered are off the ground reasonably quickly but land at a very civilised speed. I actually feel the Wot Trainer would make a very pleasant and undemanding Sunday afternoon gentlemans sportster.

Have a look on Gumtree and Preloved, (no on-costs).

There are a lot of high wing trainers advertised these days with the shift of intrest to electric. !.

I recently collected a Hobby Lobby Telemaster, brand new ASP .46 and all new Futaba gear for £30.00.

Needed a bit of TLC, but ideal for a bomb / parachute dropping comp I am organising next year.

Otherwise, Irvine Tutor, Boomerang, Arising Star, or similar will all do the job.

I would always suggest going for the slightly larger wingspan as well.

Good luck!.

Good to hear from Nigel and Old Geezer that the Wot trainer can come in under weight. I was taking the pessimistic end of the manufacturer's stated weight.

Someone flies one at our club, but I don't know the weight. I do love the colour scheme for visibility and orientation.

Looking at the Bushmmaster again, it may be salvageable. Wing and tail feathers are in one piece. Fuselage will need work, but the mud came out of the motor. I still shall need a trainer whilst I improve my skills.