What do I need for flying IC glow

Chris Walby

Question for the esteemed forum members, in order of preference of usefulness what top 10 tools do I need at the field for flying ic glow?

I carry the usual stuff for electric flight, but the boss was asking for idea's for Christmas and not wanting to miss an opportunity I though I would ask

Shall I start!

1/ RX battery checker
2/ Starter or chicken stick
3/ Glow plug spanner
4/ Fuel pump
5/ Spanner for checking prop nut
6/ Cleaning cloth and household multi surface cleaner
7/ Ground anchor
8/ Tacho
9/ Kneeling mat
10/ First aid kit (running out of idea's!)

Thanks in advance

PS next thread will be 10 most unused tools!

Edited By Chris Walby on 14/12/2017 19:57:34

Advert

I have lists of must have, sometimes use, and handy on occasion

Must have:

Fuel pump, starter stick/electric starter, glow thing.

Sometimes use:

Plug spanner, long screwdriver for slow run needles, spanner for prop nuts, other assorted screw drivers/allen keys

Handy on occasion:

Tacho, small spanner for rocker adjusting nuts, spare needle,spare glowplug...spare glow stick thing...

I think that's about it. I don't take much stuff any more as I found I never needed it. I don't even take spare props any more

At least one fully charged glow stick, but having more won't do any harm. Nothing more annoying than all batteries in Tx/Rx charged, full tank and no means of ignition. It was the only fun killer when I flew my little Sharkface.

Then chicken stick (!) and few other tools mentioned here.

Posted by Don Fry on 14/12/2017 20:31:16:

No mention of the ground anchor, or whatever secures the model. Once past about a couple of hundred watts, if it is not secure it will do you proper one day.

A good session is where all fingers are still attached. A great session, they still work.

Look at number 7 wink

I keep a lot of my model type tools in the tool tray that came with my big plastic tool so I just put the tray in my tool box (the bottom half has a big 12v leisure battery for charging LiPos) and take the the lot - it's easier and there's no problem at the field because we can drive right up to the pits.

In winter I do sometimes just take ready charged LiPos, one model (usually a foamie) and my transmitter.

For glow I just make sure my glow driver (a Cyclon lead acid battery in a plastic box with a switch and an ammeter) is charged. I have glow sticks but I don't like them; they always seem to have the potential to fall into the prop. Then a chicken stick/starter. The model is restrained with the wings against the 2 halves of my tool box. Fuel, of course. Kitchen towels to wipe off the oily electrons.

Last but not least - my model stand to save my back. Don't think I'd use it for running a glow powered model though.

Geoff

I usually have a meter or fuel tubing and something good to cut it. Just in case of leaks or even to put over the fixings on the control surface horns or a leaky needle valve on an old style engine. It is just handy to have. And spare glow igniter I use AA style glow igniter and just charge 4x 2900mah AA batteries in a cage at once then you have 3 spare batteries.

If you get a starter, make sure it is beefy enough for whatever size motors you are planning on running. Some normal starters seem a bit asthmatic on anything much past a 60.

A decent adjustable covers #5 for lots of different sizes. I'll probably be shot down by purists for suggesting such a tool though.

My IC box has: fuel, pump, panel to drive a glow lead, glow lead, starter, 12V gel cell (yes, old school, next time it'll be an old 4S), small adjustable spanner, plug spanner, two screwdrivers (small flat + wing bolt size), a few allen keys, window cleaner + cloths, tacho, batt checker, and usually a spare prop.

I park right next to flight line so weight isn't an issue and just leave all the kit in the box all the time. If I had to walk any distance I'd probably have a slimmed down box for hand starting on engines that are already set up.

Edited By Nigel R on 15/12/2017 06:36:53

I have slowly reduced my flight box as lugging it up a long but not steep hill is getting very tiring these days.

I use a small geared starter with a 6 cell nicad. (Another member uses a geared starter on a Lipo)

Two or three nistarters as they can go flat. Spare props

The correct size of ring spanners for the prop nuts. (Anyone using an adjustable in the RAF was called a"Black pudding bender" or a "Ruddy pig farmer"

A litre of fuel but you could go up a bit. screwdrivers, small spanners suitable for NVAs

Glowplugs, spare wing bolts and an assortment of suitable small nuts and bolts. Spare fuel tube

All this in a small wooden box which has a place to put you Tx.

I have a shoulder strap on mine which helps take the weight.

Oh! And for those who insist on adjustable spanners...I have a 15" adjustable that I will happily sell.

Once again thanks guys to all that contributed above, I had better allocate some time installing the engine and complete my move to the "dark side". It has to be as electric brings light...apart form an ex navel chap once said they used compressed air powered lead lights so I could be wrong.

The list will be passed to Santa's helper and a visit to Inwoods planned in (darn is that product placement!) sorry other shops are available.