Longer Days.....

john stones 1 - Moderator

Advert

Posted by Brian Cooper on 23/12/2017 08:37:23:

I was at the flying field yesterday (the day after the shortest day) and fully appreciated the extra three seconds of daylight. wink

Roll on summer.

B.C.

Since fitting some strips of LEDs to one of my models, the early disappearance of the sun holds no terrors. However, it's great to be over the "hump" and dreaming of those halcyon longer days to come.

Perhaps we should give a few moments of thought, especially at this festive time, to those unfortunates in the southern hemisphere who are now entering the slow decline into shorter days and wintry conditions (although they are probably better than our summers in many cases!)

Yip don't worry about us. We hardly even notice the change in seasons in the balmy south Pacificcheeky

NZ (along with bits of Argentina and Chile) is sorta the bottom of the world, but we are still on a similar latitude to Spain, so pretty temperate. I think the world is a bit top heavy population wise. Only bug bear in the summer is a prevalence of wind, but you can get around that by park/club flying in the morning and slopin' in the afternoon.

The main problem at Ashbourne yesterday wasn't daylight but fog! It was perfectly clear and even sunny at home but visibility was very limited once I got to the airfield. Another member turned up after about an hour and he'd come from the town itself in the valley where it was sunny! Eventually it cleared enough and a great time was had by all four members who eventually turned up!

Can't say the extra 3 seconds of daylight were noticed

Geoff

Whilst it was the shortest day (in terms of daylight hours) on 21st Dec, sunset has actually been getting later since the 12th Dec. Sunset in London was officially at 15:51 every day from 8th to 16th December and today was at 15:54 - a full 3 minutes gained already. (Don't all shout at once!)

On the downside, sunrise continues getting later each morning until 30th December, after which it starts getting earlier - such is our slightly lop-sided day!

I second what kiwikaid said, we fly all year round and now we are past the longest day we should get less wind and with long twilight can fly up until nearly 10 o'clock until about the middle of February.

Our club field lies at 45.52' South equivalent to the same latitude as Lyon is North but our temperate climate means we can fly all year. Winter temperature really drops below -5 and that's only after a good frost then the sun comes up for probably the best flying day''s of the year.

Building we do in summer when it's too hot & windy outside. Sorry had to put that in!!

Edited By Kiwikanfli on 23/12/2017 18:46:28

Aussies tell the same story as the kiwi blokes- fly year round. There is no real winter here, just cool for a few weeks. The problem at this time of year is the summer brings out the flies, Bush flies. They are small, persistent little buggers. And other nasty creatures. It is the price we pay for flying in the great southern land..

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 24/12/2017 02:01:25:

when I was in your lovely country about 15 years ago, you had a plague of Possums, are they still around?

Yes, the beggars are still here in strength. Our forebears left a lovely legacy of possums, rats, rabbits, weasels, ferrets, stoats, goats, deer and pigs that decimate the indigenous flora and fauna. Fortunately, none of them are very lethal to humans so don't impinge on the flying.

As Kooka mentioned there are few nasties in Oz and I have seen a few incidents in the States where the slopers have had encounters with big cats and various snakes.

snake!.jpg