Sir Ken Dodd

cymaz

Yes, A great tragedy. My favourite comedian of all time. I have his "An Audience with Ken Dodd.. 1 1/2hors long. It was shown on channel 4 I think with NO commercial breaks. I shall play that again. Pure joy to remember him buy,

I Hate this keyboard

Edited By Peter Miller on 12/03/2018 08:32:15

This isn't meant to be contentious, and certainly not aimed at anyone who found him funny (and I know that's a lot of people). It's my own opinions from my own experiences, and based on what I heard.

Having worked in 'The Biz', I can say that I didn't find him funny, and I know that a lot of his fellow Scousers dislike him for his politics and his tax-dodging.

Personally, I'm waiting for the hagiography to end, when we can really talk about Ken Dodd.

Posted by TJ Alexander on 12/03/2018 11:47:10:

This isn't meant to be contentious, and certainly not aimed at anyone who found him funny (and I know that's a lot of people). It's my own opinions from my own experiences, and based on what I heard.

Having worked in 'The Biz', I can say that I didn't find him funny, and I know that a lot of his fellow Scousers dislike him for his politics and his tax-dodging.

Personally, I'm waiting for the hagiography to end, when we can really talk about Ken Dodd.

Well, I'm sure we can all take great confort from those generous sentiments offered as they were on the day the man died.

BEB

PS, perhaps in some eyes he wasn't funny, but at least I've heard of him.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 12/03/2018 16:52:09

I saw him about thirty years ago at the Alex in Birmingham. Before that I was lukewarm in my interest, but he was side-splitting live, he had the audience in the palm of his hand and went on way beyond the scheduled finishing time. Nobody walked out. As far as the tax issue is concerned it is worth remembering that he was acquitted. He might have been slightly eccentric but so are many talented people. He certainly had his feet on the ground and never lost sight of the ordinary people that made him famous. RIP Ken, you served us well.

Not too long I watched a very good BBC4 documentary very much focused on Ken Dodd the person, he was a very intelligent and thoughtful man and his personality and views on life went far beyond his stage persona.

I seem to remember he never sold out to TV and remained very loyal to to his theatre audiences to whom he went back time and time again..

What a very funny man in the true sense of the word, he always made me smile..

All the one offs sadly,are no longer with us,in my opinion theres nothing to beat the 70s and eighties era when it comes to stand up,we cant have it like that anymore now due to the politics behind everything nowadays,you have to be so carefull of what you say to anyone,even if it is a joke!!