Radio systems

Hi, Had one or two mishaps when my spektrum equipment has appeared to lose control of my models for a few seconds. Many flying friends recommend ditching spektrum and indeed have swapped to Futaba themselves to rectify these problems. Anybody having radio glitches seems to be confined to spektrum users.

Any thoughts on this?

Regards

Glenn

I have been in this hobby (flying R/C) for over 54 glorious years, and during that time I have witnessed any number of people crashing their aeroplanes left, right and centre.

Human nature dictates that as soon as a treasured model crashes, its proud owner declares "radio interference". Sometimes he is right and sometimes (mostly) it is "dumb thumbs". It isn't too difficult to tell them apart if witnessing a crash.

Spektrum is the radio which everyone loves to hate, and I guess no matter how many words are written in support of it, people will have their entrenched views whether they are right or wrong.

So when a model crashes and it has Spektrum radio equipment inside, it is a wonderful opportunity to add to the tales of woe for that marque. . . Strangely, when a model crashes and it has Multiplex or Futaba, or any other make of radio (and it happens a lot), people are reluctant to publicly slag-off their radio.

For example, I was at a site a while ago and three aircraft were flying. One had Multiplex, one had Futaba and one had Spektrum DSMX radio. Very suddenly, two of the models simultaneously locked out and fell out of the sky and were obliterated. Clearly it was interference but the one still flying had Spektrum radio. . The owners of the crashed models did not go public with their disasters, but I wouldn't mind betting they would have done so if they had crashed with Spektrum gear on-board. . . Of course, no-one would commit the heresy of daring to criticise Multiplex radio for fear of being publicly burnt at the stake, eh...!!

surprise

It can be a strange world at times.

B.C.

Interestingly - although HK have produced a very well priced ( and specified ) weekend flier's Tx I have only ever seen one down at the field, it's owner was very pleased with his, not had any problems with it whatsoever. The latest iteration looks very tempting at the price - the biggest problem is the vile orange case. Anyone have hands on experience of HK Tx's ?

Radios become a personnel choice on whats you are happy with and you tend to be influenced on what you see around you. as far as the main brands they all perform well and quite often the choice is made by your budget and how it looks.

Now if It was me looking for a <£200 radio the Graupner mz 12 (12 channels) would be hight on the list with frsky then Multiplex and futaba further down as cost features come in play and rx's become quite dear .

and if budget was not a issue Jeti would be got, but even then I can duplex a transmission with my Taranis and a plug in module (FrSky R9M)

all you got to decide is what do you fancy

Posted by Percy Verance on 19/05/2018 06:42:51:

A further useful tip could be to follow his friend's advice.

Cymaz

I'd also recommend Glenn ensures he places his radio gear in the most suitable position. In this particular instance I'd suggest the box it came in.

Edited By Percy Verance on 19/05/2018 06:51:22

And I bet you hate Microsoft as well............................laugh

As mentioned above, take a look at the HK radio gear, it is cheap but in £p only, quality and performance is really good. My son-in-law bought one for quad flying about 18 months ago, not a single issue with it!

PS I'm a FrSky user but also don't like Microsoft but have to use it for work. Fortunately Windows runs ok on my Mac!

Edited By Ron Gray on 19/05/2018 09:30:24

Posted by Peter Miller on 19/05/2018 08:37:31:

I have had one of the earliest DX7s ever since they arrived in the country many years ago. Never had a glitch.

Several others in our club, same story except for a DX8 which the owner has since sold.

Same here. I still fly an original DX7 and also a new DX9. Both have been completely faultless.

Posted by cymaz on 19/05/2018 06:40:15:

Keep all your Rx and Tx batteries in good condition. Install the radio gear as per manual. If you have the ability put the Tx aerial in the correct position. I think these tips will successful in any radio brand.

Glen, above is the voice of wisdom and reason. Do that and any of the main brands will, in my opinion, perform well for you. I'm not saying your radio may not have a fault, but if it does its just down to that specific equipment I believe and not a generic fault with the brand. And in case anyone is wondering, no I am not Spektrum user, or even particularly a fan of the brand. But I don't believe it has some kind of inbuilt fault either. Take a look at our recent Tx poll, most crashes are in the hands of Spektrum users for the simple reason that they are the biggest selling brand!

Like Brian above I've seen a lot of crashes in my time (some of them at first hand!) and its not that common for a pilot to put his hand up and say "my fault - I screwed up". But the reality is, in my view, that is the number one reason for most crashes. Second would come dodgy installation; Rx's poorly installed, aerials badly positioned, using batteries that are on their last legs to save a few coppers etc. Third would come model failure - wing falls off etc. (don't laugh - think about it, its surprisingly common!) A very distant fourth these days, along with mid-air collisions etc., would come radio failure/fault - I believe its that rare.

So my advice would be: buy with confidence the brand that appeals to you and leave the conspiracy theorists to do their stuff. smile

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 19/05/2018 09:58:11

Glen . I have a DX9 that's now 5 years old . Apart from one DSM2 glitch it has been faultless . I started this hobby in 1969 and this radio has exceeded in use all my other radios added together . Possible as I'm now retired and it's in constant use ! Stay on DSMX and use it ! Early DX 8 ''s had an RF board problems but that's history now .

All brands will have a problem and I dislike JR as it cost me a Heim Heli decades ago . Colin

+1 for BEB's sound reasoned advice yes

I started with a Futaba FF9 on 35Mhz and had a few glitches so switched to JR using DSM2 the early Spektrum protocol, which proved to be glitch free. I then purchased one of the last DX9's with dual DMS2 & DSMX. I personally have had absolutely no radio issues at all and it does everything I need and more reliably. Excluding dumb fingers & dodgy switches but hey that effects every make wink

One other major potential issue not mentioned so far that effects all makes concerns extension leads not securely fastened together, working loose or leads not pushed into receivers or making poor intermittent contact over time. I always use 100mm fly leads to help prevent this potential intermittent issue with thread, tape or plastic locks. Would appear in the air as a radio issue. Not saying it was but I genuinely don't believe their are any inherently bad major systems out their today.

+1 for BEB's analysis from me, too.

Like everyone here I've had a few disasters and few of them could be put down to radio failures (just a couple of receivers going 'deaf' - and they were down to me because I'd built them!). So apart from a couple of mid-airs (which I mostly got away with) they've all been my fault and I always confess.

Geoff

Use a telemetry rx, if you don't want to pay Spectrum prices use an Orange unit from Hobby King. Then it will tell your transmitter the number of failsafes it has had, the number of fades, and the max and minimum receiver volts. If it all within specification you are a long way towards making sure your installation is good.

But I tell you this straight, you have a problem if you have glitches, sort it out. And just going over to another brand is not the solution, or some numpty rubbishing stuff because of predudice.

By the way, Ford is the top selling brand of car in the U.K. Ask 100 people what brand the like best, and it is not going to be Ford. You do the maths.

Edit. With Spektrum, make sure of your source. A lot of fake receivers out there. And people saying they are unlabelled original units made with leftover origional parts are liars, or gullible believers in those liars 

Edited By Don Fry on 19/05/2018 14:33:06