Battle of Britain: Model Squadron

According to the Saturday times C4 are producing three programs of a reenactment of the Battle of Britain using model aircraft. I have not been able to find anything further as to timings or where it might take place. Does anybody know more about it ?

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/c4-and-love-productions-recreate-battle-of-britain-like-never-before

Advert

yea there was a request for pilots sent out a while ago.

If its the same one I think it is then its not likely to end well. Trying to get 20+ 1.4m foamy warbirds in the air together and in formation is not likely to work very well.

Oh and you also have to dedicate a week to the event so RIP holiday time.

I know that I'm being premature, but I have a feeling that what's being organised could be frivolous and might be considered disrespectful. There are ways and means of using serious aeromodelling to raise awareness of the Battle of Britain in context and either through static displays or with the flying of suitable models, (e.g The Dawn Patrol and LMA among others) what's put before the public is perfectly good and valid.

Having a bunch of small models being flown about by what sounds like anyone who fancies having a go, sounds terrible and I really don't think will add anything to the story, indeed it risks trivialising it. My opinion and I hope I'm very wrong, will just have to keep fingers crossed and see how the programmes turn out (if indeed they ever make it to air). Brickbats or bouquets will be forthcoming, of that, one can be sure.

To quote their press release.

"Sara Ramsden, Executive Producer at Love Productions said: ‘The average age of a Battle of Britain pilot in 1940 was 20 years old. I hope we can bring the story of their achievement to a whole new generation of younger TV viewers. Their stories will be illustrated by the many young modellers of the same age that are coming to take part in this audacious TV experiment."

• 3 months later...
audacious
adjective

extremely bold or daring; recklessly brave; fearless:
an audacious explorer.

extremely original; without restriction to prior ideas; highly inventive:
an audacious vision of the city's bright future.

recklessly bold in defiance of convention, propriety, law, or the like; insolent; brazen.

lively; unrestrained; uninhibited:
an audacious interpretation of her role.

I was one of the ‘rent a crowd’ who went along to the last day’s filming and, talking to one or two of the pilots, I got the impression that they are aiming to tell the stories of some of the pilots involved in the battle, from both sides. They have a series of three 60min programmes to fill so quite what the people/planes ratio will be is anybody’s guess!

Trevor

Posted by Tony Bennett on 05/09/2018 16:12:55:

i just hope they focus on the aircraft and not on "personalities" like most tv shows do these days.

fingers crossed for a great and interesting show.

Tony B

they seem to have found suitably diverse group of modelers. some of them don't seem to have flown a model before ie the Navy full size pilot.

Edited By Phil 9 on 09/09/2018 20:33:39

Just finished watching it and I was pleasantly surprised. We all know how difficult it is to fly accurately with other aircraft but I thought they succeeded quite well - though it would have been heavily edited. A fair few mid-airs and Stukas in the water which is hardly surprising. It also showed aeromodelling in a reasonable light.

Certainly the Hurricanes were Dynam but not sure about the Stukas - FMS? I don't normally approve of 'reckless' flying but at least in this case they weren't destroying hand crafted balsa scale models. I suppose they got a good deal on the foamies

Geoff

Posted by Stephen Smith 14 on 09/09/2018 18:35:06:
Posted by Robin Mosedale 1 on 07/09/2018 19:32:40:

Cringe

I'll second that, no wonder everyone out side model flying thinks where anoraks.

Everyone thinks every hobbyist is an 'anorak' whatever the hobby. ie where 'Everyone' = people who do nothing except go to the pub or watch TV.

I've been an 'anorak' of one variety or another all my life, like just about everyone on this forum, I suspect.

Geoff