Battle of Britain: Model Squadron

Maybe it’s a good thing that the non flying public see the “ordinary” pilot have difficulty with the take off and landing.

It might put a few off from rushing to Amazon buying a foamie and hitting something/someone in the near by park. It might even encourage an individual to join a club to get tuition

Advert

Posted by Cuban8 on 17/09/2018 15:37:18:
Posted by Mowerman on 17/09/2018 15:16:41:

Boys with toys, I doubt many of us would argue about that. No worse than boys knocking balls into holes with sticks or sitting by the pond drowning worms. The point that this was a hobby done for pleasure was made.

It's all a matter of tone IMHO. Take the myriad of angling programmes that can be found on TV - I'm not an angler but I find them entertaining, informative and amusing, which they manage to be without AFAIA, anyone falling into the water or reeling in an old supermarket trolly to howls of canned laughter. Same for golf - anyone remember the chat show format of 'A round with Alliss'?

Both fishing and golf are far better understood by the public than model flying is.

BEB

I must agree with Cuban8 and Ian J. here. I may now have to load my van with my toy planes during the hours of darkness in case any neighbours see me.

The bit with the young lady piloting a Spit. for the first time having only flown quads on FPV was either fantastic talent or a trick for the program.

The twins were obviously rubbish and should never have been flown in front of cameras without a test flight.

I did like the laser shooting bits and hope that the technology involved is made available to the rest of us.

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 17/09/2018 18:32:44:

I must agree with Cuban8 and Ian J. here. I may now have to load my van with my toy planes during the hours of darkness in case any neighbours see me.

The bit with the young lady piloting a Spit. for the first time having only flown quads on FPV was either fantastic talent or a trick for the program.

The twins were obviously rubbish and should never have been flown in front of cameras without a test flight.

I did like the laser shooting bits and hope that the technology involved is made available to the rest of us.

I can confirm that Magdalena flying the Hurricane FPV, from take off to landing with goggles on, was no trick - she actually did that and it's not easy - so I think fantastic talent is probably a fair shout.

I also hope we get the shooting tech made available widely - it is awesome fun and I'd be up for a couple of sets. I think the designer is acutely aware there may be a commercial opportunity there!

Posted by John Lancaster 2 on 17/09/2018 19:40:19:

I can confirm that Magdalena flying the Hurricane FPV, from take off to landing with goggles on, was no trick - she actually did that and it's not easy - so I think fantastic talent is probably a fair shout.

I also hope we get the shooting tech made available widely - it is awesome fun and I'd be up for a couple of sets. I think the designer is acutely aware there may be a commercial opportunity there!

Doesn't surprise me one bit. I watch some of the FPV pilots flying their freestyle and racing quads around the site and they are phenomenal. Razor sharp reflexes and absolute situational awareness.

Basic flying with a foamy Hurricane will seem like slow motion by comparison. The mind shift they have to conquer is going from FPV to LOS but I've no doubt that would not take them long - plus I believe she was flying the Hurricane using FPV googles, at least to start with.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited By Nigel Heather on 17/09/2018 19:50:58

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 17/09/2018 20:03:13:

OK, I recollected that it was a Spit. but what ever it was, it was a fantastic achievement. My attempts with FPV on a docile glider left much to be desired, never mind when I tried a quad.

So you are agreeing, you need to be very skilled to fly an FPV freestyle or racing quad. So why is it such a surprise that she could do basic flights in a Hurricane or Spitfire after a little instruction and practice.

Cheers,

Nigel

Posted by Nigel Heather on 17/09/2018 20:28:06:

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 17/09/2018 20:03:13:

OK, I recollected that it was a Spit. but what ever it was, it was a fantastic achievement. My attempts with FPV on a docile glider left much to be desired, never mind when I tried a quad.

So you are agreeing, you need to be very skilled to fly an FPV freestyle or racing quad. So why is it such a surprise that she could do basic flights in a Hurricane or Spitfire after a little instruction and practice.

Cheers,

Nigel

LOL

Partly because, with a Quad, you can lay the transmitter down and have a cup of tea in the hover

But a fixed wing requires attention the whole flight, as the model can slow down and go off course due to wind and weather, and stall due to attitude and low speed

Just watched the second episode on catch up and thought it was even better than the first. It was a great idea to throw some inexperienced pilots into the mix and they did a great job learning to handle their Spitfires an Hurricanes. Very impressed with how capably the young Polish couple made the transition from FPV quads to FPV fixed wing, and another great idea to have them represent Poland's part in the battle.

Great job again folks - showed our hobby in a fantastic light and had a lot of fun into the bargain.

Indeed Tim - the really nice thing is that everyone seemed to be really enjoying it - the young girl said "I so want to fly more!" with boundless enthusiasm and several of the guys on the flightline were clearly having a ball. "It was like passing my driving test!" after that maiden flight with the Spitfire.

(en

Posted by Denis Watkins on 17/09/2018 20:34:01:

LOL

Partly because, with a Quad, you can lay the transmitter down and have a cup of tea in the hover

But a fixed wing requires attention the whole flight, as the model can slow down and go off course due to wind and weather, and stall due to attitude and low speed

(End quote)

I fly both quadcopter and fixed wing both los and FPV and I can assure you I’d be much happier with a cuppa while flying fixed wing. I think you are confusing camera drones with the kind of fpv racer that most people fly FPV with. Trust me, there is no time to take your thumbs of the sticks and most are not GPS carrying so will not stay in the hover at all.

Edited By Chris Jones 7 on 17/09/2018 22:46:53

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 17/09/2018 21:27:45:

Nigel, they said that she had no previous experience or tuition I believe.

I don`t know if you fly that sort of model but they can have some very nasty surprises in store, even for a very experienced pilot. Not exactly like Wot 4`s.

Racing quads have virtually no stabilisation so a cup of tea is out of the question.

Just to make sure I’m not talking BS I have just rewatched the parts with Magdalene in. First they say that she has 4 years quad experience, but true she has never flown fixed wing. She then flies a hurricane using FPV.

I also notice that is the only flying that she does in the episode, I could not spot her in any of the later battle scenes, nor the guy with the affro - personally I think that was just for telling the story of green recruits for the TV programme.

As for the complexity of quads you are quite correct. The freestyle and racing quads do not have much in the way of stabilisation. The lady who is the experienced flier introduces quads as having lots of stabilisation - true if you are talking about DJI Phantoms but not the little 5” freestyle quads. On sunday I wore a secondary set of goggles while a skilled pilot flew a quad around. God it was fast, and although you have a pilot’s eye view, the video can blur past very quickly and it was not that easy to keep my orientation.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited By Nigel Heather on 17/09/2018 23:10:18

Their take-offs and landings were not at all scale like. They take off, then immidiately loop to the side or any other direction. I don’t know whether that was them just having fun or not able to keep the plane straight. Having watched a couple of my planes that have stabilisation receivers, I couldn't help but remark on how scale-like it makes the plane fly. I think something like that would have helped a lot. They could switch off the stabilisation for dogfighting.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 17/09/2018 18:29:15:
Posted by Cuban8 on 17/09/2018 15:37:18:
Posted by Mowerman on 17/09/2018 15:16:41:

Boys with toys, I doubt many of us would argue about that. No worse than boys knocking balls into holes with sticks or sitting by the pond drowning worms. The point that this was a hobby done for pleasure was made.

It's all a matter of tone IMHO. Take the myriad of angling programmes that can be found on TV - I'm not an angler but I find them entertaining, informative and amusing, which they manage to be without AFAIA, anyone falling into the water or reeling in an old supermarket trolley to howls of canned laughter. Same for golf - anyone remember the chat show format of 'A round with Alliss'?

Both fishing and golf are far better understood by the public than model flying is.

BEB

If that is the case, then I'd have thought that our hobby should be seen in the best light possible when presented on TV or elsewhere - not something that's been achieved this time according to some of us.

I have to admit I thought this weeks programme was better than the first - in part because of the flying and it also showed the effort in learning to fly and also all of the fun - flying, crashing and the repairing. All the participants seemed to be enjoying themselves. You have to laugh at the BF110 squadrons problems (and admire their repair efforts) especially the very non German comment after one crash, and the view of off to the pub for a beer. At the same time the massed suicide of half the RAF squadron was entertaining - even thought the outcome was expected.

Joking aside it is entertaing the mix of model re-enactment linked up with the history and experiences from the period. Well done to all. Perhaps there should be a follow up series - maybe Pearl Harbour, or some of the bombing campaigns could be good?

On reflection....................if you could convince these guys to take part, possibly with the bomb being aimed by a ground based FPV bomb aimer guiding the R/C pilot, we might have the makings of something worthwhile. Have James May as the main presenter and James Holland again for the historical stuff (if he can be persuaded out of hiding laugh).

Something along the lines of the recent Channel four programme where they used Buffalo Airways' DC4 to recreate dropping a bouncing bomb. Plenty of opportunity for problems to be overcome as you tend to find in these type of programmes and in my opinion at least, aeromodelling shown in a proper light as you'll see at any LMA gig.

Just trying to be positive for once.!

Edited By Cuban8 on 18/09/2018 15:15:18