New Drone Laws from 30/5/2018

GONZO

Advert

Posted by Gordon Whitehead 1 on 22/07/2018 18:11:03:
Posted by PatMc on 22/07/2018 15:40:47:
Under 7Kg @ 400ft ceiling : result misery crying thumbs down

Logic : eludes me. questionface 22

You're the first one here to mention misery laugh

No, I'm the just first that's used that word for what's been described on this thread several times. wink 2

Posted by PatMc on 22/07/2018 18:31:46:
Posted by Gordon Whitehead 1 on 22/07/2018 18:11:03:
Posted by PatMc on 22/07/2018 15:40:47:
Under 7Kg @ 400ft ceiling : result misery crying thumbs down

Logic : eludes me. questionface 22

You're the first one here to mention misery laugh

No, I'm the just first that's used that word for what's been described on this thread several times. wink 2

I used to fly at a club that already had those restrictions (for other reasons) not misery it was still adequate for most sport flyers. and also reduced some other  issues that I have seen other clubs suffer from such as noise

Edited By Phil 9 on 22/07/2018 19:32:25

Back in the 1970s at RAF Brize Norton we flew from one side of the airfield, with VC10s and Hercs operating on the main runway. ATC would usually, but not always, fire off a flare to warn us to land when a big 'un was inbound or about to leave. Nobody must have thought then about a height restriction.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I used to fly at a club on an RAF airfield which hosted an ATC Volunteer Glider School. After about 20 years of problem-free flying we suddenly had a 300ft altitude restriction imposed at the whim of an incoming school commandant. No misery, we just got on with it of course. But depending on what you flew your flying style might have had to change somewhat, not least those who liked to fly thermal-hunting gliders.

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 22/07/2018 20:19:02

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 22/07/2018 07:49:23:

I hope you do complete your JP design Gordon as I have a Wren 44 and a JP would be just the ticket for it.

A clubmate is relying on me doing a plan, Piers, so I'll get on with it soon and probably do a build thread too. It'll be a JP5A which allows the choice of with/without tip tanks, and whether or not to decorate and equip as a Strikemaster. Apologies for delayed response.

Gordon

Looks like similar moves are being made in the US to hear to gain access to the airspace below 1000ft for commercial use; the commercial drone industry is looking for the repeal of section 336 that protects the rights of model flyers. I know Bruce Simpson can be an acquired taste, but look past that and watch the sections from the committee hearing itself to which the AMA was allegedly not invited - it’s pretty hideous stuff...

Edited By MattyB on 23/07/2018 00:18:29

I will look forward to that JP5A build thread Gordon and as you say, plenty of colour schemes to choose from. Perhaps an article for RCM&E would go down well too.

I think the altitude restriction is all about taking reasonable care, not flying in controlled airspace or deliberately endangering other airspace users. Until all GA, military aircraft and RPAS (that's us too) are fitted with GPS based altitude reporting + data link, vertical separation is going to be by Mk1 eyeball, so not very accurate at all. 'See and avoid' is the name of the game for now.

Posted by MattyB on 23/07/2018 00:16:07:

Looks like similar moves are being made in the US to hear to gain access to the airspace below 1000ft for commercial use; the commercial drone industry is looking for the repeal of section 336 that protects the rights of model flyers. I know Bruce Simpson can be an acquired taste, but look past that and watch the sections from the committee hearing itself to which the AMA was allegedly not invited - it’s pretty hideous stuff...

Playable video to make it a bit easier to view...

WOW! That video was a real conversation stopper! Is everyone just too gobsmacked, or has everyone gone on holiday?

OK, let's attempt to cheer things up with another video which shows my miserable attempt at doing an unscripted uncoordinated aerobatic sequence within a 300ft height restriction back in 2011. Due to other defined "no fly" areas (this was on an airfield too !!) the entire box was about 300 yards long by 200 yards across, just a bit bigger than the sheep field I fly in these days. It's just possible that I did stray a bit out of the "box" on occasion, but not by much. My thanks to Harry Curzon on camera for staying on his feet when he should have been dizzy, and filming each of the two flights in its entirety so there was no need for stitching bits together.

It's not pretty! Here's hoping we get the required height exemption.

Gordon

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 24/07/2018 16:12:34

Posted by Peter Jenkins on 25/07/2018 00:00:18:
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 24/07/2018 22:55:22:

Exemption granted , keep calm and carry on. Well done to all involved.

Frank, where did you find this document? I cannot find it on the CAA's website to which I would like to point folk.

Peter

Peter. See **LINK**

Links in the article. Only issued this afternoon so it's likely the CAA haven't got round to putting them on their website yet.

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 25/07/2018 00:19:46

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 25/07/2018 00:20:06

There are actually two exemptions granted ….

One for all model aircraft flown "traditionally" - ie. Line of Sight for the operator up to 7Kg with no height limit, excluding multirotors, and one for FPV flight with a competent observer up to 3.5kg with a limit of 1000 feet, again excluding multirotors.

More details and links to the CAA documents here: https://www.bmfa.org/News/News-Page/ArticleID/2533/Update-on-changes-to-UK-Regulations-and-the-400ft-height-limit

These were issued at 5:17 pm yesterday.

Great news.

I went out a couple of days ago with my 3.1m lightweight glider when there were abundant thermals and had an excellent afternoon flying, never below 400ft for close to an hour, thinking is this the last time so I made the most of it. Now I (and many others) can continue with what for me (us) is an extremely enjoyable type of flying.

Thanks to everyone involved, the exemption is I believe everything we could hope for in terms of conventional model flying, i.e. not restricted to notified flying sites etc.