Wings & Wheels at North Weald Essex

Advert

I’m going on Saturday afternoon. I find it a very useful to visit a number of shops buy fuel and bulky items etc etc . It’s also a good time to match up spare covering film colour for existing models . I have quite a big shopping list again this year!

I'm going on Saturday. Haven't been to W&W for a couple of years and TBH, it needs to pull its socks up both on the flying and trade fronts. I know a few of my club mates won't be bothering with it after being disappointed with what was on offer over the last few years - however, looks to be perfect weather over the weekend, it's a wonderful venue, not that far for me to go, so lets see what they can pull out of the bag this time.

I wouldn't worry about Saturday crowds, I think those days are long gone with nothing like the queues that used to stretch back to the M11 in the show's heyday in the mid 80s and 90s.

I will be flying at the show all weekend. Im booked in for 12 slots with 3 different models and that is assuming i dont jump in any more.

Complaints from previous years regarding the flying have been taken into consideration and this year has a wider variety of flying slots than i have seen before with WWI, WWII, Scale civil aircraft, Scale heli, aerobatic heli, aerobatic fixed wing, general sport models, the panic team, TJD warbirds, and several jet slots and solo performances as well. There is also the 'classic' slot comprising myself and i think 5 others from the 1/4 scale stampe thread here on the forum all flying our Stampe's together in a 'Stampede' with tiger moths and Stearmans from Neil Tidey and others from the 'Tiger Team'.

I am told by the organisers that they have listened to the complaints and are trying to change the format of the show. While i cant make promises on how well they have done, on the surface it looks good and i am quite eager to get involved.

Posted by Cuban8 on 22/06/2018 12:24:16:

And.............5 mph south-westerly forecast for Saturday, 6 mph westerly on Sunday - not exactly right down the strip, but not the usual gale that makes itself felt for once yes

Edited By Cuban8 on 22/06/2018 12:24:57

Yea the crosswind of recent years has grounded my biplanes a few times

Does anyone know if there will be many helis this year? I went last year for the first time for ages, and I think I only saw 2 helis fly, I do get that its called wings and wheels. Just curious.

It was a good show, the jets were pretty awesome and the tri plane.

Do they change it up every year or is it mostly the same?

Am going again for third year in a row and looking forward to it.

As an average club flier on a budget I look forward to watching what I think of as 'aspirational' models

flown by 'inspirational' pilots. Enthusiasm for the hobby is always boosted at this event.

Well done to all those involved in putting on a great show for fellow hobbyists and any others who come to the event.

I'm going Saturday. First time at this show. Have done the Southern the last couple of years and West Malling when I was a kid. Dragging the family along this Saturday kicking and screaming but said they have to try just once and then happy they never go again, although the youngest daughter has shown a little interest and already wants to have a go on my now redundant trainer. Maybe I will still yet have another excuse to buy more planes!

Posted by John Smith 50 on 22/06/2018 15:28:41:

Does anyone know if there will be many helis this year? I went last year for the first time for ages, and I think I only saw 2 helis fly, I do get that its called wings and wheels. Just curious.

They are trying to increase the diversity of the slots and increase the number of 'club' that most of us can afford. Clearly the really big/spendy stuff is there and its there to put on a show, but equally the idea is to show off models that can be flown at club sites by normal club guys. All of my models (75 inch sport model, 80 inch warbird and 80 inch scale biplane) fall into this category even if they are nearing the top end for normal club models.

This year there are separate scale and aerobatic helicopter slots so I think you should be covered. Clearly all flying comes down to weather and serviceability of the models but in theory both slots should run

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 22/06/2018 16:40:59:
Posted by John Smith 50 on 22/06/2018 15:28:41:

They are trying to increase the diversity of the slots and increase the number of 'club' that most of us can afford. Clearly the really big/spendy stuff is there and its there to put on a show, but equally the idea is to show off models that can be flown at club sites by normal club guys. All of my models (75 inch sport model, 80 inch warbird and 80 inch scale biplane) fall into this category even if they are nearing the top end for normal club models.

This year there are separate scale and aerobatic helicopter slots so I think you should be covered. Clearly all flying comes down to weather and serviceability of the models but in theory both slots should run

Awesome thanks

I look forward to the helicopter slots as they give me a chance to "use the facilities" or buy an ice cream...

Edited By Martin Harris on 22/06/2018 20:50:39

Posted by Martin Harris on 22/06/2018 20:49:24:

I look forward to the helicopter slots as they give me a chance to "use the facilities" or buy an ice cream...

People still fly helicopters? Blimey. I had no idea...! wink

Just teasing, but I have to admit whilst I admire the high levels of skill being demonstrated 3D helis (invariably what gills rotary slots at shows like W&W) leave me completely cold. I don't even feel safe watching sometimes, so low and out of control it all appears. YMMV.

Edited By MattyB on 23/06/2018 00:44:20

Went Saturday and had a full day from 0930 to when we left at 1800. Met up with quite a few old friends and club mates, picked up a few gallons of fuel and and one or two widgets from the traders, and given it was a nice sunny day, had a good time. No traffic queues either in or out, so easy access with no hassle.

As we've said before, if you were expecting the sort of show that was the norm at NW twenty years ago then you'd be disappointed - obviously the trade presence, although perfectly adequate, was nowhere near as numerous or vibrant as in years gone by. A sign of the times, and I suppose a result of the power of the internet. The flying was entertaining with a range of models to interest most spectators, but again, I felt that the show was somewhat lacking in scope and needed a bit of a 'boost'. No reflection on the pilots, but something that the organisers must address. I'd liked to have seen the 'Movie Cars' parade up the strip to give a break from flying, I'm sure the 'wheels' part of W&W is being neglected, which is a pity.

The biggest issue, and one that for me almost spoiled the day, was the commentator - and I'm not alone in that. Now I'm sure Nik is a very nice guy and it's not an easy job to please everyone, but I think he needs to be a little more mindful of his audience and be prepared to modify his style accordingly - in that what may be perfectly OK at a drone racing event or heli 3D champs or rowdy corporate bun-fight, will not work so well with many model aircraft enthusiasts.

Continuous music at an intrusive volume that was started out with, until a number of complaints were received, was a bad idea. It's been tried at full size airshows years ago and thankfully, you'll only find a bit of 'mood music' now and again at Duxford and Old Warden and it seems to work OK. I hope that next time, the organisers of W&W might consider leaving a stretch of the crowd line at the far end, free of the PA, so if one wishes to just watch without all the banter or music, then one can.

Edited By Cuban8 on 24/06/2018 12:45:53

I was there on Saturday too. Great day fantastic weather just the right number and variety of stalls so I managed to get all i wanted at a fair price. Very entertaining flying with a better variety than last year but OHHH the commentator. Try as I might I just could not escape the constant "noise". Yes I'm sure it's a very difficult job, but all the self promotion???. If there would be one thing putting me off going to any of the show he would be attending it's the thought of his constant droning on about stuff that the average flyer wasn't interested in.

We all appreciate that the models are expensive and "built" by dedicated members of our hobby, NOT sport. But who could afford £2k for a starter jet??. or have the means to transport the other fantastic models. More club flyers please or at least demonstrations of model we can all afford. The Panic display was both entertaining and affordable, in this age of PC and noise restrictions who has the facility to fly jets or huge fixed wing planes?. Not many I suspect.

A better balance would be much appreciated, the car parade, is an great idea, after all it is Wings and Wheels.

All that said a fantastic day out and some great bargains at the Bring and Buy.

From the pilots side it was in another league to last year in terms of organisation and general smooth running of the show. We also got the airfield back at half 9 and the night flying was astonishing. I really have no idea how the models didn't go home in a bag. we also got impromptu spitfire and apache displays which were excellent.

In total I have flown 12 slots with 3 models over the weekend and I am beat. It was super toasty today and while I dodged heatstroke I do feel drained by the heat. Don't anyone bother calling Laser tomorrow morning, I wont be there as a lie in it in order! All the pilots worked hard to put on a show that's for sure.

As for commentary....I hear ya. Nik spent half the show telling everyone my La7 was a zero..a small detail perhaps but important people get the right information. Things like this were rife through his commentary but to be fair anyone who pointed out an error got an apology and the error corrected on the mic so I cant fault him for that.

The 2 grand starter jet is cheap, and to those who have 10 grand jets they are a bargain. Some people have the money so the show has to offer things to everyone. £250 quid foamy hawks were also being promoted so I think there was a balance.

But for those with constructive criticism to offer please contact WW admin directly and tell them what you would like to see. The sports/classic cars were a new thing and could be developed. There was also the model steam train there for the first time that I can remember. I think it was certainly the best WW since I started flying there and I am keen to see how next year can build on the progress made this year.

Oh yea and as for noise, my petrol 4 stroke was so quiet nobody even noticed it :'(

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 24/06/2018 19:08:52

Enjoyed the flying on Sunday ,great display from the Stampe and Tiger Team.

Excellent show we had a good day today......and somebody saved me 200 quid by Buying the very smart Balsa Usa Fokker DV11 that was for sale round near the boat pool. I went back to have a closer look and would have made a cheeky offer but it had gone! Well done that mansmiley

I agree Jon the flying was great, but not enough hellies. How about warbird combat with streamers a la Combat control line?. Lots of smoke and excitement. Could be real time or a sort of aerial ballet rehearsed. With all the WW1 and WW2 fighters it could be quite a crowd puller. Who would know if it was rehearsed or not and the "potential" mid air would be an added pull???. Still managed to get some Laser 5 for £15.50.

4 heli slots had to be cancelled as the pilots booked in for those slots didn't turn up to the show.

The streamer combat is an interesting idea and while the spectators would love a mid air the pilots might not! we are also on an active full size airfield and cannot be shedding debris everywhere. In fact late Saturday the live nature of the airfield was made very apparent when we had to get all aircraft down and clear the runway as a full size emergency aircraft was en route after his cowling detached and smashed his windscreen. Happily he was able to land safely and the show resumed.

I'm not suggesting that mid airs be in the plan?. Rehearsals and "potential" would be the name of the game. With all the experience and skill of the pilots involved if the streamers were long enough then these could be avoided. Just lots of oohs and ahhrrs, you should have heard the sharp intake of breath when there was a near mid air on Saturday.

There could even be rounds say two in the morning and two in the afternoon sessions on the first day followed by knock outs, like control line, with the "winning" pilot being presented with the "prize" at the end of the last session in the afternoon of the second day. Should keep the punters there till the end and who knows may encourage others to camp over and be there on the second day???.

More income and fun for all?.idea