which is cheaper,IC or ELECTRIC?

SONNY MONKS

Not this ol' chestnut again!?

Whatever suits you.. You can do both electric and ic cheaply if you want by keeping the model size small.

I prefer 60 size models and love ic glow engines, esp quality 4st. Some say with batteries it's like buying all your fuel up front,, but 6S are not cheap and don't last for ever. More importantly they are an absolute pain to charge and maintain IMO. Charging a Rx batt is enough for me. Electric models are also more fragile.

I understand when mobility issues affect some of us and it's much simpler, easier to fly electric, or not fly at all - that's perfectly understandable. But until then...

As to this cleaning business, it makes me laugh. Are we afraid to get our hands dirty now!?

Jon, Tim - with your talk of sprays and blue paper you're gonna scare off some of these folk for ever. Just use a couple of wet wipes- (Tesco Multi-Surface lemon does the job well).

Advert

OK heres my sixpence worth.

I have both, Electric for my gliders. Saves putting out a bungee. Full electrical power, and up she goes. But I/C for aircraft, Electric just does not cut it when you fly over or close. Yes you have to wipe it down, but as someone has said, that is a mini mot on your plane.

But I guess it is all down to what you are use to. I don't do metric so your 3mm is no good to me apart from the fact that I know it's not very big. But to youngsters thay don't know what 3 thou is. AS to cost. Electric is a big layout upp front if you want an hours flying in a day, but it will balance out over a year or two.

Nigel N

You can spend a lot or a little on either electric flight or IC, it is all down to personal preference. Some may have 10 models super cheap and expendable while for others, their one scale model may represent hundreds of hours of pains-taking work. Some may crash three in a day, while others will only risk a flight in perfect conditions, if at all. It is how we choose to enjoy our hobby and there are so many factors apart from cost. Some might enjoy the elegant simplicity of a two channel glider while others revel in the complexity of a gas turbine model and all it's systems. Cleaning an IC model may be seen as a chore and a temperamental engine as incredibly frustrating. Others love to fettle and tune an IC engine to get the best out of it but find caring for a set of LiPos soulless and annoying, especially when one puffs if accidentally overcharged. Even more so when it does that for no reason! It's horses for courses, one man's meat etc.

What some might agree with though, is that how much fun you get from your hobby is not directly proportional to how much you spend, although perversely the more we get hooked the more we tend to spend anyway devil.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 28/11/2018 04:45:10

For me, value for money is more important than cost. The electric foamies I have were not very expensive but are a bit of a rip-off, in the same way that Macdonald's burgers are cheap but bad value for money. Electric foamies are to the model aviation world what fast food is to the restaurant business. (Ducks under the parapet, before stale burgers or puffed lipos are thrown in my direction!)

Edited By John Stainforth on 28/11/2018 05:51:41

Expense is really a side issue IMHO. We all have a certain budget to work within and whether that stretches from virtually nothing, to several thousands of pounds annually, is a matter of personal choice or (usually) simply what one's bank balance will stand.

Go with what works for you - I like IC during the summer months (with a bit of 'leccy now and again), but on the rare occasions that I venture over the field during October to April, then I'd only take electric. Quck and easy, no mess or cleaning up, and I can be packed away ready to drive off in virtually no time at all.

Fish or chips, bubble or squeak, little or large, six of one, half empty half full.

If you like engines, have engines, engines can be cheap if you want.

If you like batteries, have batteries, batteries can be cheap if you want.

If a shop recommends one, that's what they'd like to sell you.

Rubbish answer, but impossible question.

As a totally dedicated i.c man for about 63 years I have now found that electric has some major advantages.

Mainly that I can carry a model (Smallish) a few batteries, a transmitter and odd tools and spares with much less effort than my small flight box. I am not gasping for breath nearly as much as I reach the top of the slope up to our pits.

Price wise, well an electric motor for a large glider or 50" span aerobatic model together with the ESC cost as much as a new IC motor. A couple of 3S batteries from HK cost as much as a gallon of fuel but may last longer.

Batteries from other scources do seem to cost a lot more.

So initial outlay is probably much the same.

Which brings it down to weight and other factors and there you have to make your own choice.

It seems to me that if you keep your i/c flying down to .46 size airframes and your electric flying to (the slightly) smaller birds utilising the affordable 3S-4S 2200 or 3000 LiPos your year on year costs will remain comparable and affordable. The choice of whether to take a LiPo or an i/c or both is ( for me ) down to: convenience for a sneaky hour or so whatever the weather - has to be LiPo - 2-3batteries, plane and Tx and you're sorted. For full morning or afternoon it's worth the time and effort to load, then set up at the field, all you need for a couple of i/c planes as well as clean up, load, and unload again at home after the session. Oh - and a couple of leccy models will probably find their way into the car too. For the above reasons my i/c planes have been laid up for the Winter, most of my LiPos are now at storage voltage too, but it doesn't take long to bring 3-4 packs up to full charge if the opportunity arises for that sneaky hour. So - costs are comparable within the limits above - and if we're honest, the most important criterion is "Whatever floats your Boat".

Edited By Old Geezer on 28/11/2018 08:37:46

I really don't know why electric models are said to be boring and soulless. AS long as the plane has enough power and performs the same as it's I.c. equivalent, what's the difference? If you really want the I.c. experience, play engine noises into headphones, spray the model with glow fuel and wipe it off after flying. Even carry a box of bricks out to the field if you miss carrying fuel, starter and tools about and if your transmitter allows, program it for random throttle closing then you get the dead stick experience too. I was once told that MDS stands for More Dead Sticks by a frustrated and oily I.c. flyer. When the plane is up there you have to do fly it in exactly the same way if it's electric or I.c.

As has been said, there is no answer to your question. Its all down to personnel preference and your budget.

I met up with a few friends just a few weeks ago and took this photo of my electric model (the small one....sigh) and my mates new all singing and dancing petrol powered RV-4. No doubt his propeller cost more than my whole set up twice over, but we both had just as much fun in the air and that is what matters. Go with what ever floats your boat and enjoy thumbs up

20181020_151046.jpg

Posted by buster prop on 28/11/2018 08:40:53:

I really don't know why electric models are said to be boring and soulless. AS long as the plane has enough power and performs the same as it's I.c. equivalent, what's the difference? If you really want the I.c. experience, play engine noises into headphones, spray the model with glow fuel and wipe it off after flying. Even carry a box of bricks out to the field if you miss carrying fuel, starter and tools about and if your transmitter allows, program it for random throttle closing then you get the dead stick experience too. I was once told that MDS stands for More Dead Sticks by a frustrated and oily I.c. flyer. When the plane is up there you have to do fly it in exactly the same way if it's electric or I.c.

Because they just are soulless. I have flown some lovely electric models and while their flying performance was the same i would have rather flown it with an engine as i just found it more enjoyable. Its not about the power or anything like that, its just i get no pleasure or enjoyment from flying them and get bored. Flying one of my V twin powered warbirds however never gets old.

When this came up once before i suggested people go and find a video on youtube of a spitfire or something giving a display. Watch it without the sound and you will be bored in moments. Un mute the merlin and its another story. Im not suggesting that any noise is better than no noise, but as i fly only 4 stroke any noise will do!

The rest of this post is nonsense though, even with the sarcasm. The gear needed for a day of leccy flying can be much greater than IC.

I carry one gallon of fuel, a lipo powered starter and a small toolbox down to the field with me. My leccy powered friend hauls 2 massive leisure batteries down with him so he can keep his batteries charging through the day and that is on top of a toolbox and countless batteries. Deadsticks are also not a problem if 5 minutes was taken to set up the engine when the model was new. I doubt i have have had more than 4 deadsticks in the last decade, and even then it was for a specific reason like fuel starvation. Thankfully the days of MDS are gone.

You can minimise glow field kit. Gallon jug with hand wind pump, glow sticks, 3S 2200 + starter and you're good for a few hours airtime. If you can hand start then ditch the electric and carry even less around. If your motors are small, carry a quarter or half gallon.

You can minimise electric field kit. Big stack of pre-charged lipos and you're good for a few hours airtime.

Some sort of basic toolkit is probably sensible for both options.

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 28/11/2018 10:10:

Because they just are soulless. I have flown some lovely electric models and while their flying performance was the same i would have rather flown it with an engine as i just found it more enjoyable. Its not about the power or anything like that, its just i get no pleasure or enjoyment from flying them and get bored. Flying one of my V twin powered warbirds however never gets old.

When this came up once before i suggested people go and find a video on youtube of a spitfire or something giving a display. Watch it without the sound and you will be bored in moments. Un mute the merlin and its another story. Im not suggesting that any noise is better than no noise, but as i fly only 4 stroke any noise will do!

The rest of this post is nonsense though, even with the sarcasm. The gear needed for a day of leccy flying can be much greater than IC.

I carry one gallon of fuel, a lipo powered starter and a small toolbox down to the field with me. My leccy powered friend hauls 2 massive leisure batteries down with him so he can keep his batteries charging through the day and that is on top of a toolbox and countless batteries. Deadsticks are also not a problem if 5 minutes was taken to set up the engine when the model was new. I doubt i have have had more than 4 deadsticks in the last decade, and even then it was for a specific reason like fuel starvation. Thankfully the days of MDS are gone.

Ooh! I think I touched nerve there. My remarks were meant to be ‘tongue in cheek’but I just prefer the cleanliness and reliability of electric flight. For me it’s about flying, not tinkering with engines. Apart from my gliders I mostly fly small/medium electric models, not huge ones as I don’t have the space to store them. Each to their own but I don’t have to strip engines to replace bearings, adjust valves or use after-flight oil. I have seen enough dead stick landings and needle twiddling, although I admit that the MDS was a 2 stroke. A field I fly at has houses nearby so noise is an issue as well. Btw, thanks Rocker, you took my post in the right spirit.

Obviously if noise is an issue on any site then you are automatically restricted to the quieter form of flying. As others have stated in this post it's 'whatever floats your boat' and the cost side of things tends to be accepted, whichever form of flying you like. But as soon as the replies move into reliability, ease of use, noise (or no noise) then they move away from the OP topic.

The question is really easy, it's the answer that is hard, as there just isn't an answer!

For me it’s very much about tinkering and trying to improve my models . I include building construction and assembly with that ...even the odd bit of engine tinkering. In fact I enjoy tinkering and built a workshop to do it better 😊If I mostly flew electric I would still be tinkering. The big selling point in this hobby is it teaches us so many different skills... It’s certainly not “ just about flying “ for me .

In response to the original question, there's probably not much difference, cost-wise - all other things being equal.

However, the RATE of expenditure is considerably different! When buying LiPos (expensive items) and chargers (ditto), you are, in effect, buying all your fuel in one go!

Whereas with IC, you probably buy a gallon at a time, and get another when the bottle is getting low - thus spreading the cost - with electric, you are buying (hopefully) a year + of "fuel" all in one hit.

So, I would suggest that IC helps spread the cost over a period, but in the long run, the cost is much the same.

--

Pete

The posts above, saying you don't need field tools with electric are true. Borrowing mine is lighter.

And I have more dead sticks with electric, battery flat. I may be wrong, but I don't think I have had a glow motor pack in this year. And bearings failing, the last set I had changed was a Laser with a worn out Irvine carb, about 250 hours on. I sent it back for a new carb, and the perfectly good bearings were replaced in the course of the service.

Mind, no way would I try to run a little Cox motor when a nice little leccy one does the job.

"I wouldnt of thought anything electronic,would last as long as an engine!"

Whyever not?

" The big selling point in this hobby is it teaches us so many different skills... It’s certainly not “ just about flying “ for me ."

Willfully tinkering with an aim in mind, with a skill to learn, is not the subject of my post.