BMFA club finder

Alan H

Advert

The club finder link goes through to a finder which does not find my club nor any other local ones. I know my club has its geotag on the Azolve system because as club secretary, I put it on. Things are in a state of flux. I will be at one of the training sessions tomorrow, I will ask about the state of the find a club page.

Hmm, that's a bit strange. We (Epsom Downs Model Aircraft Club) were certainly on the map shortly after GoMembership started.

I know, I put us there! And I got the little flag to be right on the strip. thumbs up

(It's OK, we have nothing on site that any low-life could steal, so can safely ignore the advice to be cautious about identifying where valuable stuff might be found!)

But now, we seem to have disappeared off the map. I'm sure Andy S will be along shortly to tell us what a bunch of numpties we are and we've done something wrong! teeth 2

Kim - I'm using Chrome and get a view remarkably similar to what Dick posted.  

And in case there's any confusion with the old club map,  this is a link to the map Dick and I are viewing.

Edited By John Privett on 11/12/2018 21:34:51

Posted by John Privett on 11/12/2018 21:32:26:

And in case there's any confusion with the old club map, this is a link to the map Dick and I are viewing.

If I click on that link, the nearest large town is Dumfries - it's a long way from TW11

Don't you just love tech??

Kim

Edited By Kim Taylor on 11/12/2018 22:13:25

I have tried Internet explorer, Edge, Chrome plus on my Amazon Fire tablet, Silk and I can not find any clubs at all, however, the map does centre in on the location I choose and shows the search area but never any clubs, see the no clubs in London map. There must be something different in peoples set ups that either allows this to work or not, perhaps ISP or security settings. I will mention this to Andy Symons at tomorrow nights training session on the Go membership system.

no clubs in london map.jpg

Posted by Kim Taylor on 11/12/2018 22:11:45:
Posted by John Privett on 11/12/2018 21:32:26:

And in case there's any confusion with the old club map, this is a link to the map Dick and I are viewing.

If I click on that link, the nearest large town is Dumfries - it's a long way from TW11

Don't you just love tech??

Kim

Sorry - when I said it was a link to the map Dick and I were seeing, I just meant to the initial view of the correct map site - ie. not the old one (if it still exists.) So that link I posted takes me to a map of Europe, with the UK having loads of 'pins' stuck in it.

It's odd that PeterF sees no clubs. Equally odd that my club seems to have disappeared from the map.

Posted by PeterF on 11/12/2018 23:06:02:

I have tried Internet explorer, Edge, Chrome plus on my Amazon Fire tablet, Silk and I can not find any clubs at all, however, the map does centre in on the location I choose and shows the search area but never any clubs, see the no clubs in London map. There must be something different in peoples set ups that either allows this to work or not, perhaps ISP or security settings. I will mention this to Andy Symons at tomorrow nights training session on the Go membership system.

no clubs in london map.jpg

On the Fire Peter, at the Magnification above, my Fire shows no clubs either

But if I zoom in

The Clubs in my area appear

Try Zooming in

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 12/12/2018 09:29:34:

we are looking in to this.

Could someone who isn't seeing and points try viewing in incognito mode to see if that helps. I have a feeling this could be a browser settings/add ons issue.

I tried with Chrome in incognito mode but still no clubs found. My OS is W10 1803

Just to add to the confusion, I reported this to Andy some weeks ago. At the time I found that if I used the link from within my membership screen, where I can look for other clubs, then it worked fine. But if I used the direct link - **LINK** - then I saw nothing when using any browser except Puffin.

I asked some of my clubmates to check and it was 50/50 some working fine, others getting the same problem, using Chrome, Edge or IE.

A few weeks ago I noticed that the problem had resolved itself and I had assumed that Azolve had found the issue but this is obviously not the case.

I agree with Andy that it is obviously a local setting somewhere - except that in the period between the problem appearing and then being cleared I have not changed any settings.

Note that for the BMFA clubfinder London Borough clubs are shown as London while the county just outside are in the actual County. e.g. Dagenham is in Essex rather than having a London postcode but the Dagenham club does not correctly show as Essex but as its in a London Borough it comes under London in BMFA.  Confusing!   May be something similar with west London clubs.

Edited By kc on 12/12/2018 11:39:27

Posted by Alan H on 12/12/2018 10:12:30:
Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 12/12/2018 09:29:34:

we are looking in to this.

Could someone who isn't seeing and points try viewing in incognito mode to see if that helps. I have a feeling this could be a browser settings/add ons issue.

I tried with Chrome in incognito mode but still no clubs found. My OS is W10 1803

I get nowhere in an incognito window in Chrome, but as was mentioned earlier, if I am logged into the Go portal as a member and then look for a new club then the pop up window club finder works OK.

Andy - some "ammunition" for you... I'm not sure what this proves, but it should give a clue to somebody at azolve. I hope!

I've just tried connecting via a VPN and can get about a 50:50 split of two scenarios.

1. Connected via my regular PlusNet connection with no VPN, going to the clubfinder link, initially I get a brief partly-zoomed-in view of roughly the north of England and south of Scotland, then it quickly zooms out to N.W. Europe and displays all the clubs with red pins. I get the same with some VPN choices - connecting via Canada, Iceland, or the UK using 185.169.225.114, or 81.92.202.18.
  2. Otherwise, as before I get an initial partly-zoomed-in view, it then zooms in much closer to the Scottish Borders around Moffat. But when I zoom out there are no clubs shown. This happened with a VPN connection via Norway, also in the UK using 193.9.113.119 and 185.178.49.136.

Hopefully that info might help point somebody in the right direction!

• 4 weeks later...

I thought that I would check up on this after 4 weeks and found that today I could use the club finder and see the clubs on the map or as a list when I was one of the people for whom it did not work in December, so it appears to be sorted. Thanks Andy.