CAA registration consulation

Hi all,

I don't often 'go off on one' but what will this scheme achieve? Has anyone ever been killed by a DRONE?

About 70 people were killed in London last year with knives - are all knife uses registered?

Anyway, this is my online submission -

Why not follow the French and make it free as the BMFA have offered their database of all responsible and insured model pilots in the UK.

I can see how this whole madcap scheme has come about (Gatwick fiasco) and it reminds me of the dangerous dogs act 1991, brought about by a few tragic cases of children mauled to death by their family 'pet,' fuelled on by headlines in the tabloid press and knee-jerk reactions from politicians in the 'silly season'.

The same people who allow a Pitbull terrier to baby sit will not take any notice of this legislation and will do whatever they like, point lasers at aircraft, fly their drones into ATZs, carry knives and drive uninsured/unlicensed cars and kill people for fun.

Meanwhile responsible, proficient and registered BMFA members will be the first to get an armed response unit to kick their front door down at dawn when another moron transgresses the ANO in their local.

The world is going madder!

The only way the CAA can find out who we are if we don’t pay this fee - is if the BMFA give them our details so they can check one database against another but the data protection act prevents that however forget that and just ask who will force the lone drone flyers to register and pay...

We are responsible flyers and have fully recognised insurance and fly by the rules.

Dont want my door battered in just because I’m registered.

So do I want to register- sorry but I don’t think this is right...

Posted by Steve J on 26/04/2019 19:31:25:
Posted by JOHN MOSLEY 2 on 26/04/2019 19:03:06:

Don't think the Gatwick saga did us any favours

This has nothing to do with Gatwick. Registration has been on the cards for over three years. I am surprised that it has taken this long.

Steve

Agreed. The £16.50 charge annually seems very high given they could have done this by leveraging the national associations instead, but I don’t understand why many posters in this thread are surprised/outraged at the prospect of registration itself. That has been a near certainty since the first draft EASA proposals were released, and was confirmed for certain in 2018.

Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 26/04/2019 14:28:14:

It looks unlikely that they will be able to get an exemption. The document specifically states several times that the registrant numbers expected include members of existing model flying associations.

I especially loved the "infographic" on the last page of the document. I don't really understand it if truth is told. Why does one route involve a test and the other involve a fee but then it states that if you are responsible for AND fly drones then only one registration is necessary...

There is also a typo on that infographic that says registration is valid for 3 years, but elsewhere in the doc it states 1 with a possibility of moving to 3 once they know how many people are registering and whether they can “cover their costs”. Hmmm.... sarcastic

The register could be used by the CAA to investigate illegal drone activity - as a list of law abiding operators who can be eliminated from their enquiries. It doesn't take a genius to work out that people who are going to operate a drone illegally, won't bother with registration and therefore won't be on the register.

Posted by charlie holdford on 26/04/2019 16:44:56:

Typical, I have just started with this hobby and under club instruction to obtain the BFMA A test. which I need to fly un supervised at model club fields.

I can just see me having passed this test, having a couple of weeks to enjoy flying only to be grounded by this new legislation. As a member of the so called BFMA I would have thought they would have been in dialogue with the CAA and would have informed its members prior to finding out via Facebook...... and this forum.

However if they where not involved in these new changes it beggars the question what do they do with the membership fees!

Dont get me wrong I don't have any issues with registering and being a proven safe or able pilot. I just won't do it twice

Charlie, as a new member of the BMFA, you may not be aware that you can go on their website to the News Page and register with your name and email address and get sent News bulletins, the latest of a long line of which deal with the issue, has just been published. You will then be able to keep up to date with all the work that the BMFA has, and continues to do on our behalf, with the CAA, DfT, EASA and so on. You may even find that the Area to which your Club belongs has a website that has some useful information on it as well. As you have just done your A Test, you will be familiar with the BMFA Handbook. That contains details of how the BMFA is structured. Your Club Secretary should be able to tell you in which Area the Club is and you can find the Area Website by going onto the BMFA website and navigating via "The BMFA", then "Areas" and look on the right hand side half way down. Most Areas have a website.

Hope you feel that the BMFA has indeed been actively pursuing our interests since it was formed and, on this topic, ever since EASA first published its intention to legislate on enabling airspace utilisation by drones a few years ago.

That having been said, we now need to show that all BMFA (and LMA, SAA and FPV UK) members care enough about this to respond to the CAA consultation but please check you have the facts right before doing so.

Posted by Martin Fraser on 26/04/2019 21:36:58:

Hi all,

I don't often 'go off on one' but what will this scheme achieve? Has anyone ever been killed by a DRONE?

About 70 people were killed in London last year with knives - are all knife uses registered?

Anyway, this is my online submission -

Why not follow the French and make it free as the BMFA have offered their database of all responsible and insured model pilots in the UK.

I can see how this whole madcap scheme has come about (Gatwick fiasco) and it reminds me of the dangerous dogs act 1991, brought about by a few tragic cases of children mauled to death by their family 'pet,' fuelled on by headlines in the tabloid press and knee-jerk reactions from politicians in the 'silly season'.

The same people who allow a Pitbull terrier to baby sit will not take any notice of this legislation and will do whatever they like, point lasers at aircraft, fly their drones into ATZs, carry knives and drive uninsured/unlicensed cars and kill people for fun.

Meanwhile responsible, proficient and registered BMFA members will be the first to get an armed response unit to kick their front door down at dawn when another moron transgresses the ANO in their local.

The world is going madder!

I’m sure reading about a young girl (. .?..)being hit by a model aircraft. Then there was that kid in the US with a helicopter who accidentally hit himself. Of all the millions of model flights taking place...1 accident, 1 self inflicted to my knowledge. Plenty of missing fingers though face 3

Posted by Martin Harris on 27/04/2019 00:18:45:

I can't quite follow the logic - it would only eliminate around 40 000 out of the 66.85 million (that we know of) people in the UK...about .06%

Just venting my frustration that registration is a complete waste of time - and our money.

Cymaz - yes there was a tragic accident involving a girl being killed by a model plane, years and years ago, the story might well get revived again in the "Meejah" - it has been at least twice since it happened ( 20 or more years ago ). How a registration number on the airframe would have protected the poor kid escapes me, any more than a number plate on a car protects a pedestrian or cyclist.

Posted by Martin Fraser on 26/04/2019 21:36:58:

Hi all,

----                  ----                       ----                      ----                   ----                  ----                   ----

Sadly, yes, I have had the unpleasant experience of witnessing a model aeroplane kill an 11-year-old boy. . It hit his head and, according to the coroner's report, the trauma was the equivalent of being by by a 20mm cannon shell...... there wasn't much left.

That tragedy resulted in the legal requirement to have our Fail Safe set to reducing the throttle to idle as an absolute minimum in the event of signal failure.

B.C.

Edited By Brian Cooper on 27/04/2019 07:58:19

WE know what a drone is, and WE know what a model aeroplane is, but the CAA cannot, or will not, differentiate between the two, so we are ALL drone flyers now.................. sigh.

Ruddy drones......!! Because of drones, we are now having draconian legislation slapped on us by the CAA. And the final insult is we have to pay for it too. . Naturally, these new laws (and costs) will only affect the law-abiding. . The hooligan drone flyers won't care and will very probably be blissfully unaware of these new rules and regulations. And even if they were aware, it is doubtful they will comply with them. . No, for the most part, they have had their craze, they have done their damage and they have moved on to some other pastime.

This latest twist from the CAA is another nail in the coffin of model flying. . People under the age of 18 won't be ALLOWED to own a model aeroplane (sorry, a drone), but they will still be able to fly one.... crazy, or what..!! This should nicely discourage any youngsters from taking an interest in model flying.

It gives me no pleasure to say this -- and I hope I am wrong -- but radio controlled model flying in the UK might have died out in 20 years' time.. . We pursue this hobby for fun and recreation. We certainly don't do it so we can be subjected to ever-increasing rules and regulations. . Starting at the end of THIS year, many people might decide to "call it a day" and leave the hobby... The proof of the pudding will be the number of people who renew their BMFA membership for 2020. .. unless something changes, it is doubtful that the numbers will increase, eh.

It is indeed a sad time for our hobby.

B.C.

Posted by Steve J on 27/04/2019 07:50:21:

Posted by MattyB on 26/04/2019 23:23:42:

The £16.50 charge annually seems very high

U-space foundation services don't pay for themselves you know .

Steve

Indeed. I suspect the proceeds from this won’t make much of a dent in that bill though!

Way back in the 50s and 60s we used to to have to buy a license to own an radio control outfit. They gave up on that long before R/C was anything like as popular.

I wonder how the CAA is going to inform the general masses of individual (as opposed to members of organisations) drone flyers that they must take a test and pay for registration. The type of person who buys a drone and does not read anything anywhere, just goes and flys it.

I wonder how they are going to catch all the non registered owners. Hell! The police can't even catch most of the non insured drivers with their ANPR cameras.

A drone is a lot easier to hide!