Where to get Good RX switches from?

Andy C

Advert

I have used this from 4-Max

**LINK**

or HK do a dual supply version, only problem is which warehouse it comes from (import tax adds a lump).

Others are available but seem more expensive...until your model goes into failsafe and you collect it with a bin liner crying

Little or no soldering required!

PS - If you are running petrol or more complicated setup, George at 4-Max can give phone advice of other products in his range.

Posted by John Lee on 28/07/2019 12:25:21:

Inwood I used the 'JR/Spektrum switch with DSC/Charge Lead Black& Silver Front', for decades when I flew IC, not cheap now but I've never had a failure, albeit I replaced them every 2/3 years as part of routine maintenance.

Did you ever dismantle an old one that you'd changed just to see what was justifying the high price?

Decent mechanical  switches are becoming difficult to get hold of, thankfully I have a couple of Futaba HD's to keep me going for a while. The electronic ones worry me, both as to their quality unless you go for the very expensive types and perhaps an unnecessary complication. 

The cheapy switches are not to be trusted, I bought one for a couple of quid for a non modelling use and it was intermittent in use and would go O/C when a little pressure was applied to the operating lever when in the on position. Stripped it down to take a look and it was 'orrible inside.

Edited By Cuban8 on 28/07/2019 13:01:05

I have a couple of the GT Power switches but haven't used them because, as I read it, if they were inadvertently set in the LIPO mode, then they will cut the power as the voltage falls, saving the battery and killing the model.

Murphy's Law is strong and sooner or later it will happen...…. or have I got that bit wrong?

Good quality switches are readily available - but not necessarily made up for model use. My larger/faster models have twin battery/switch harness set-ups to minimise the chances of a critical failure point resulting in loss of control.

I'm afraid I have a (maybe unjustified) distrust of electronic "smart" solutions, preferring the simple approach to critical systems wherever possible.

The JR switches were probably the best available but sadly no more. Futaba are very similar but most may be copies now. Twin batteries/switches are a good idea but when using these I now fit HK Failover ones which are identical to the eye wateringly priced Powerbox offerings. No problems with these as yet.

Posted by Cuban8 on 28/07/2019 12:49:42:
Posted by John Lee on 28/07/2019 12:25:21:

Inwood I used the 'JR/Spektrum switch with DSC/Charge Lead Black& Silver Front', for decades when I flew IC, not cheap now but I've never had a failure, albeit I replaced them every 2/3 years as part of routine maintenance.

Did you ever dismantle an old one that you'd changed just to see what was justifying the high price?

I never did but the cost at the time was under a fiver & they were often on offer at the shows. I was surprised to see how expensive they have become when I looked them up for the link.