Sabre made in Belgium

This may not help at all Dirk but I used Solartrim for this bit - you are painting the fuselage granted but you could do the scallops with trim. I made cardboard templates then drew the shapes onto the back of the solartrim then cut it out with a scalpel. You can read all that on my blog. Just another way of doing it.. If however you are going to paint mask then yes, Alan's method looks good.

Dirk I find it is possible to cut smooth curves in masking tape using a scalpel. The trick is to find a way to rest your wrist on the model that helps to support the scalpel while you are cutting. If your wrist stays on the model as you cut, then it will not slip and the blade will not move from it's path. It also helps to draw the line you want to cut very clearly and accurately of course. This is the scalpel I use:

box-of-10-x-swann-morton-no.4-graduated-handles-stainless-steel-204-p.jpg

There are other tools available that can help. You can get swivel knives that have much smaller blades that are free to rotate. Some people find these good to cut curves. I have one but I don't find it as easy to use as a scalpel. Maybe it doesn't fit my hand as comfortably:

il_1140xn.2025470208_2j9e.jpg

Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 03/06/2020 10:52:57:

PS - my camo lines are NOT random - they are to "proper" Air Ministry patterns. I have scaled them up from smaller diagrams!

Hehehe I knew - just knew - you would respond Al. I wouldn't expect anything less from ya! thumbs up Love it.

Ok then, let's pollute Dirk's build thread and address that one.....

Are we limiting PSSA meets to exact scale now?

Here are three pics selected at random from Phil's Flickr:

One "stretched" Hawk,

One "stretched" Hurricane,

One Mosquito with broader than scale tip chord.

And all none the worse for any of that...

It happens for the right reasons and surely if your model has been tweaked then it makes sense to try and make it look scale in the finishing to hide or disguise any such tweaks...

None taken....It'll be great to get to the next PSSA event to conduct such banter in person!

29297479798_3a04fa79d1_w.jpg

29297476428_4b80b2d2f4_w.jpg

29297468788_f6e65dedfe_w.jpg

... now I'm beginning to understand...

So, the 'Scale' in PSSA isn't the definition of those miraculous little devices with a precision down to 0,1gr and sold in Shenzhen??? ... surprise

That's probably also why nobody mentions the weights of their parts and/or sub-assemblies in their blogs...

Cheers & stay scale all

Chris

Masking became a mix of different techniques. I first made a template of the desired drawing from low tack masking film,just the curved parts. I made them a little smaller actually (the width of the fine line tape ).Then went around it with the fine line tape to where the straight line began.You have to pull a little while pressing it down to avoid wrinkles. I'm surprised it went that easy!On to the painting !

20200605_220241.jpg

20200605_222009.jpg

20200605_233609.jpg

Well,the painting went fine,just a few dust particles wich i can polish out when the paint is hard .

Just a few tips for those who have to do similar paint jobs

Go over the fine line tape with a small roller to secure it 100%

Take all the masking away before the paint is completely dry so you don't have to '' brake it ''

Before you spray, take the dust away with a sticky cloth!embarrassed

20200606_175948.jpg

20200606_180010.jpg

20200606_180038.jpg