Forum 2020 Mass Build discussion.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the JP 99% finished. Even to my low standards, this is just about the worst finishing job I've ever done.

Covering a whole plane, as opposed to its constituent parts, is not easy. I had also insufficient red solarfilm so I bought some stuff called EasyCover. Easy it ain't! On a open framework like wings it would be OK, but on solid wood, and compound curves of a fuselage it's useless. However, I persevered and got to a stage where, from a distance, it doesn't look too bad. The system delivers about 500 gm plus of thrust, measured by placing the plane nose down on a scale and opening the throttle. It should fly OK.

jp top.jpg

jp underside.jpg

jp canopy.jpg

Edited By Toni Reynaud on 30/01/2020 11:03:31

• 4 weeks later...

Can't comment on all of them Tony, I've just finished the Provost apart from markings. The mouldings set includes the air intakes, which reduces the carving required, although there is still plenty to do! The straight wing may make it a bit easier to build, and I've made mine removable to improve access to the electronics. Yet to fly it, so can't give an opinion on that.

I think several on here have build a few different ones, so you should get some better feedback than mine soon.

Posted by martin collins 1 on 24/12/2019 17:09:17:

Try evilbay, only a couple of £s more expensive............

**LINK**

Just tried this link and it works the price is very good in comparison to 4 Max. New totally to EDF. Is this THE one I want, has advertised 650g of thrust for 3S.

Why the two options, for 3S, on 4 Max one for 620g of thrust (The same one advertised on e bay different thrust figures why?) and 605g thrust. 75 grams and 77 grams respectively. Strange that the lower thrust unit weighs more than the higher thrust unit.

I'm settling more towards the Phantom as model of choice or maybe the Gnat!

Tony

Finally got the Jet Provost to the patch on a sunny and not very windy day. Got a club member to launch - it sank a bit, wobbled a bit, gathered speed, and away it went. A good flight, if a bit twitchy - it turned out I put a 4S2100 instead of a 4s2500, so the balance point was a bit rearward - manageable but not the best. It went quite well on half throttle, but kept climbing. When it slowed down, control response was not good.On the approach I got within spitting distance of the patch and cut the throttle and it glided in very nicely. A good maiden, and my first EDF, and I'm sure that when I next fly it with more nose weight, it's going to be good.

Weight with big battery 720 gm, 25 oz

full chat - 13.5V, 30A, 380W, 540 gm thrust.

• 3 weeks later...

Gents,

Is the C rating of the battery critical? I have a few 20-30C (20C continous, 30C for 10s.) packs lying around, and the fan should not draw more than 40A (which is less then 20C on a 2200mAh pack). So in theory this should be good enough.

But is it in practice. When spinning up the fan on the bench I did not notice much RPM increase after half throttle. I have not measure current or voltage though.

Lucas

Edited By Lucas Hofman on 23/03/2020 10:03:44

Suppose it sort of counts as 2020 mass build, even though I built a MIG 15 last year. Had to do a rebuild this year and had just finished it the day before the virus restrictions were brought in.

p1030654.jpg

One simple begineers mistake I made was to cover the top and bottom of the wings identically. With the result I couldn't tell which was up, That and my limited flying skills leading to the rebuild. Fortunately I had built the nose cone out of depron and it was detachable, so that took most of the impact. Anyway second version is now finished and ready for action. I had added a rudder as well, total all up weight is 490 gm.

mig 15 2020 4.jpg

Edited By Robert Dodd on 29/03/2020 16:35:21

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

gnat 1.jpeggnat 2.jpeg

I had the first flight with my Gnat yesterday evening. It's the standard 3 cell set up with an all up weight of 625grams. Got away from the launch with no problems whatsoever & needed only a couple of clicks of trim. It flew very well indeed, quick & highly manoeuvrable. The high intensity LED nose light was very useful in helping keep orientation. I'm delighted with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Been looking to build one one the Tony Nuhuis jets ever since the first plan came out but never got round to it but now being retired i have more time on my hands. Firstly though i have been reading about the flying of these jets and it seems that if you don't get it right regarding weight, thrust,etc then there is a problem getting it hand launched. Is there any particular jet that flys better than any other. Thank for for any advice.

• 2 months later...