Winter is here....who's been flying?

After the low cloud lifted, we had a low wind day,  albeit a 90 deg cross wind, with some blue patches.  Ideal for some more trimming.  Today, it was revisiting motor side thrust.  To make sure I had wings level I flew directly towards myself and pulled to the vertical and on three occasions the Anthem pulled to the right.  Landed and added a bit of left side thrust.  A second flight showed a tad more was needed so a tad more added.  Only had time to fly one schedule and the revised trim seemed to help.

20240210_114516.thumb.jpg.7ef5f6bea041805702602d950b13e385.jpg

• Like 3

Today was a day for a "horses for courses" aircraft. This morning started sunny, but with a brisk wind down the strip of 10mph+ and gusting more. So out came my 91" GW Slick which is of a size and AUW to cope with the conditions. So it proved. The sun is still a bit low in the sky first thing, but she looked a treat in the light.

IMG_1807.thumb.jpeg.054d96b28dfc8910395e0f28fba24785.jpeg

IMG_1808.thumb.jpeg.9027c95edf05c8d8028bdf8314535da9.jpeg

Over the period since she last flew in November, I had done a bit of fine tuning taking out the trims and resetting the working surfaces. Turns out she still needs a bit more right aileron trim, but I will fly here again in less windy weather to be absolutely sure. The rest of the adjustments seemed fine and a good session was enjoyed. It was good to blow the cobwebs off and I vacated the field feeling very satisfied. 

• Like 2

Got another good session in at Epsom Downs Race course yesterday. More blue sky and a breeze right down the strip. Half a dozen turned out, but I didn't think to photograph any models until some had gone home. Took my hoard to fly. Another member put his Freewing Me262 through its paces again. That thing flys on rails. His Bronco flew well too. The Hothands warmers under my toes and in my fingerless gloves are making flying a pleasure on colder days.

IMG_20240212_155212910_HDR.thumb.jpg.2bef6282f901734baed97bfe2b231cc8.jpgIMG_20240212_155128679_HDR.thumb.jpg.9c7644f067f2cde8420f9cb8e5c1c9eb.jpgIMG-20240212-WA0006.thumb.jpg.52433f058dd7e72345ffdc76d616b908.jpg

Edited by Futura57
  • Like 3

Yesterday........

9:15 - packed the car - sunny, warm, calm

9:25 - watched a couple of drives in Superbowl

9:55 - set off for field - cool, breezy, grey

10:00 - arrive at field- cold, windy, grey

10:02 - came home to get warm

Little bit calmer and warmer today, so setting off in 5 mins. Fully expecting to come home quickly!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Well, I was partly right! Weather was similar to yesterday. Unpleasant. 

I left my models in the car, while Kev checked a few things out on his new, yellow, Seagull Chippie. Perfect match to ots DLE20 petrol engine.

Now at home warming up!

Sunny with a strong wind in North West Durham, only one there. Flew my Brian Taylor Corsair but the wond became blustery so after a few flights headed for home. 

Some fly tipper had dumped two sex dolls and a suitcase at the entrance to the field, which I had to move to get to the gate. I did not realise how heavy they were and could only drag them out of the way. Before anyone says it I don't think they were drag Queens. 

IMG-20240213-WA0000.jpg

20240213_122302.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eric Robson said:

Sunny with a strong wind in North West Durham, only one there. Flew my Brian Taylor Corsair but the wond became blustery so after a few flights headed for home. 

Some fly tipper had dumped two sex dolls and a suitcase at the entrance to the field, which I had to move to get to the gate. I did not realise how heavy they were and could only drag them out of the way. Before anyone says it I don't think they were drag Queens. 

IMG-20240213-WA0000.jpg

20240213_122302.jpg

Of those pictures, I can't tell which is which. I find the blue doll sexier myself...

The come already wrapped in immaculate clean towels which did not stay clean when I dragged them through the mud. 

No doubt it will be the top topic at the club meeting tonight. 

The member who first reported them wouldn't  touch them and cleared off . Nothing would deter me from going flying 

I am getting cheesed off now. Live on the Isle of Wight and running a model club, I take virtually every chance I can to fly; fixed wing anything.

We've had constant rain and cannot access our field,

I have flown ONCE since the 7th of October 2023.......

I know lots in the same boat, but its not funny anymore......

Maury

1 hour ago, Maurice Dyer said:

I am getting cheesed off now. Live on the Isle of Wight and running a model club, I take virtually every chance I can to fly; fixed wing anything.

We've had constant rain and cannot access our field,

I have flown ONCE since the 7th of October 2023.......

I know lots in the same boat, but its not funny anymore......

Maury

Cabin fever? Time to build, build, build 🤔

Anywhere to fly indoors? School gym, community centre or church hall, empty aircraft hanger?

Fire up the sim?