Upgrading Windows7 to Win10 for free

kc

Windows 10 does talk to the hard drive quite a bit, which is why you boot from an SSD and not a hard drive. A system i built recently with a £15 SSD boots from button click to desktop in about 8 seconds, with 5 of them being BIOS. My gaming system takes a bit longer, perhaps 20 seconds, but i have shed loads of monitoring and game related things to load when it starts up. 

That said, i recently discovered that W10 seems to work much faster on 2.5'' hard disks than the larger 3.5's. I assume the smaller platter size has an impact on seek times. Not sure, but it was interesting running the same system on the same cloned OS on the two different drives and noticing the difference. 

Not that it matters that much as i dont know why anyone would use a mechanical drive for anything other than mass storage. Even my laptop with its slow (relatively) eMMC flash based hard drive gets on with its life without any slowdown gets on with its life.

In any case, you cant hold the software responsible for slow and outdated hardware

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 28/01/2020 10:20:51

Advert

In fact defragging SSD's is a Very Bad Idea. You're right on life being too short - all of my Win 10 boxes boot in under 10 seconds!

Last time I tried a *nix variant, it couldn't find drivers for a PCI-E wifi card, nor were the graphics card drivers able to be updated to enable the latest features. It's a nice little gimmick to have and boast that your OS is free, but I don't mind paying for quality and ease of use.

I've used Windows boxes since 3.11, and used it professionally day-in and day-out for 25 years in all it's different flavours. Guess how many viruses of caught? None. I always find that those susceptible to them are rather too click-happy, and rarely check sources of emails or veracity of sites visited.

I'll stick with the market leader cool

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 28/01/2020 10:17:31:

In any case, you cant hold the software responsible for slow and outdated hardware

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 28/01/2020 10:20:51

You can when the same machine is infinitely faster on the alternative!

And yes, you are right about SSDs, and I do use them on both my main machine and my wife's. My laptop is stuck with spinning rust at the moment, because I need lots of storage on it (video editing/storage while traveling) and a similar size SSD is too expensive at present (but falling in price rapidly, so maybe an update soon!).

However, for those who really insist on using an old fashioned and clunky system ( cheeky ) for heaven's sake don't pay PC World prices! I see they currently charge £165 for windows 10 pro!!!

This lot

**LINK**

do exactly the same (LEGAL copy) for £20! And occasionally they have a sale and do it for even less!

Its where I got my copy from, and no issues - other than the usual micro$oft ones!

--

Pete

To be fair you should just say 'avoid pc world' for pretty much anything computer related. Their prices are imaginative at best.

As for W10, just use the windows 7 licence key that is stuck on the side of the computer you already have

On the SSD/HDD thing my media pc has all of the my dvd's copied to it and they live on a big old 4tb HDD. The system boots from a 120gb SSD though so everything is nice and speedy

I hope that you computer techies forgive me, what started off as information for helping out a windows 7 problem seems to have ended up as a quantum physic's session to me, and perhaps a couple of others. I am now at a loss what to do, my W7 is performing as before, does what I ask, lets me fiddle about with my Phoenix, and do my emails. My concern was about the security after windows said it will not be supported so I wonder if my option was to upgrade this to 10, Jon kindly pointed out it is a bit dated and would recommend a linked new laptop which was the option I was going for, then Linux reared up, I fear far too technical for me, then Kaspersky came into play, shall I put this on this laptop, decisions, decisions, decisions. I shall probably go for the new one, then possibly try the upgrade on this one. Do I have to copy everything I have on here or will it remain on here during and after the upgrade.

Keep it simple please chaps, I know you are all being helpful but my eyes spin at some of the technical posts, probably born 40 years too early.blush

Edited By fly-navy on 28/01/2020 23:48:35

Posted by fly-navy on 28/01/2020 23:47:26:

I hope that you computer techies forgive me, what started off as information for helping out a windows 7 problem seems to have ended up as a quantum physic's session to me, and perhaps a couple of others. I am now at a loss what to do, my W7 is performing as before, does what I ask, lets me fiddle about with my Phoenix, and do my emails. My concern was about the security after windows said it will not be supported

Microsoft wants your money so they say "End of Life" EOL. It is actually "End of Support" EOS a totally different thing. Your Win7 will keep going as long as the computer continues to work.

If you only read emails and minimal web browsing a free virus checker such as Avast should be all that is needed if needed at all and stay with Win7. Your computer does all you want it to? Then stay with it.

As for age, a suspect I might have been working on computers and such while you were "still in short pants" as they say.

Phoenix? Phoenix computer game, Phoenix RC planes supplier ???

As for copying files from computer to computer, I use a programme called Dukto. It works on everything (Windows, Apple, Linux, Android) and is very simple. Once installed and agreed to terms and conditions (what ever they are???)(click), with it booted up on both computers, each should see the other providing they are both connected to the same router, via wire or WiFi. You could use an old modem/router and not even connect to the outside world.

The computer the files are going from, click on the bottom box which should have the name of the computer files are to go to.

Drag files or folders across to the box and drop them in and wait. It might take some time, a few GB will definitely take time but a bar shows how progress is going.

With Windows they should appear on the desktop of the receiving computer. Then move them to where you actually want them.

Edited By Alex Ferguson 2 on 29/01/2020 06:18:51

Posted by Alex Ferguson 2 on 29/01/2020 06:17:30:....................

As for copying files from computer to computer, I use a programme called Dukto. It works on everything (Windows, Apple, Linux, Android) and is very simple. .......................................

Yes, I use Dukto as well, and agree it is brilliant, BUT from their website:-

Dukto R6

UPDATE: this project is no longer maintained. You can download it and use it if it works on your devices, but I can’t provide any update and support anymore. I won’t provide also any security or bugfix update.

I will continue to use it as long as it keeps working, but perhaps not for "sensitive" data.

Dick

Posted by john stones 1 on 29/01/2020 00:21:04:

Well I'm a P.C numpty, no idea what they're on about, but enjoying it. wink

They've a way to go before they match the drone threads though.

emotion...yes, I'm thinking the same john....the BMFA/CAA bashing threads take some beating......in fact I think that would make a good poll....."which thread do you read to send you to sleep"?

ken anderson....ne.1..thread of threads poll dept.

My main computer and my laptop are on Win7 Pro and that's where they're staying.

Laptop used for nestbox CCTV is on XP + POSReady and that's staying where it's staying.

Son's gaming computer is on Win 10. I hate it even though I've installed "Classic Shell" on it to make it look like older versions. He likes it though and it goes like a rocket (should do for what I paid for it).

Right gents, this could be a long one so make yourself comfortable, and use this as bedtime reading.

Firstly, my thanks to the OP for starting this thread - it has spurred me on to do something about my computer.

I have been on Win7 Pro now for 8-9yrs with no problems and was adamant I was not going to change. Now that support has been stopped it's got me concerned. I have been doing some research these past two weeks and found many who detest Win10 and wish they still had Win7, but because of security I have come to the decision to 'bite the bullet' and relent.

Reading Gary's post above has got me thinking again.. Is there a way around this?

An IT expert informs me that even with a paid Kaspersky anti-virus I'm still leaving myself open to threats. BTW free Avast sell your data. I've read that Win7 is going to be alright for the next 6mths or so as long as you don't go onto dodgy sites. I've only had a few red flag warning come up over the years. Last one was from a Google search page advert banner for Adidas trainers that were much cheaper than elsewhere. Also some high-end ludicrously cheap rc products from the Far East.

My laptop is a high-spec Sony which I paid a lot of money for. Most people would consider it 'old' but it does everything I need and I have no wish to get a new one - even if it was offered free! Only thing I've done was upgrade to 8GB RAM. It has developed a couple of problems now. Firstly, it overheats and shuts down frequently. This is because of dust build-up on the fan. It is easily fixed by opening it up, vacuuming and using compressed air. I have done it once before and it make a big difference. Second problem is sometimes when I close the lid and open it up I get a black screen. The computer is on but cannot get the screen working so I have to remove the battery and boot up again. It's probably a loose connection to the lid, so will have to seen by a professional.

As I am going to Win10 I have decided to replace the old drive to Solid State Drive. I have everything I need now to do the major overhaul. SSD, USB/SATA lead, compressed air, MX-2 Thermal Compound and new battery. The thermal paste is essential for heat transfer from CPU and GPU to the cooling pipes. There's a whole science behind that.. the tech geeks and gamers on youtube help with that.

So, initially, I wanted to do a 'clean install' without any 'bloatware' - but transferring files over was going to be a pain - a task I don't want to undertake. I don't want to loose anything - I want everything working as it is. My laptop is fast enough as it is. So, it's going to have to be a copy and then I'll just trim down Win10 as much as I can. Win10 runs slower than Win7. I will have the Pro version so I can control the 'updates'. Windows do two major updates a year that's when things can go wrong. I'd rather defer them for a couple of months till they get the bugs sorted out.

At the end of the day it's all about 'Control'- I hate any machine having total control. My pet hate is seat belt warning alarms. Glad my car doesn't have it, otherwise I'd be cutting wires!

For me, my computer is just a tool, a very useful one beit.. I've realised my files/folders are quite disorganised. I'm going to have to devote some time and learn how to file properly and make it a habit. Another chore.

Also, Disable Cortana. She listens in and reports everything back to HQ.

Linus Mint was suggested to me and offered on a memory stick. I'll download it for a later date maybe. Also, you can run Win7 as VM (virtual memory) within Linus - way beyond my skills at the moment.

My problem is I have such little patience with computers.. unlike my RC gear. I'm not IT savvy and would not dare mess about with 'registry' and such but I've come to realise I'm not overwhelmed with much of it. It's just tedious and time consuming.

Wish me luck.

Just to add my 2p worth. I have been running Windows 7 since 2011 or so on an Acer laptop. Had no issues so avoided the free Window 10 upgrade from Microsoft.

Now I am a firm believer that there is no such thing as a free lunch. However security is important to me, so on hearing about the demise of W7 I had some soul searching to do. Upgrade or go for a new set up.

My old laptop was running ok so an upgrade seemed a simple way to go...….Finally bought a new HP laptop with SSD and an I5 processor but less storage than I had in my old laptop (which I never used fully anyway). Yes I have spent money. However I was having battery life issues with the old set up.

BIG gain is speed. Switch on and hardly any wait at all. Boot up speed is great, and so much of an improvement. New laptop is lighter, but it remains to be seen if it lasts as long as the Acer.

No Phaff and now I am using the laptop so much more, simply because it is quick. Not quite a fast as using my Phone but you can do a lot more on a laptop especially if you need to use Excell which I do.

All the best

Peter

Hello Peter, glad to know your free upgrade went well.

The difference in speed you see is because of the new SSD. They run up to x5 faster than the old HDD's.

Do remember to uncheck and disable as much as you can - like Cortana and updates. 'britec' on youtube explains it well.

I'm staying with Win7 for now and looking into Linux.

Actually i found that Win 10 speeded up a lot last year after some automatic updates- it starts up much faster than earlier Win 10..

I noticed that one of the Linux magazines in WH Smith yesterday had a disc on the front which seemed to suggest it could be used to try some version of Linux on a Windows machine. Any of the experts care to comment?

Posted by kc on 01/02/2020 12:19:57:

I noticed that one of the Linux magazines in WH Smith yesterday had a disc on the front which seemed to suggest it could be used to try some version of Linux on a Windows machine. Any of the experts care to comment?

"Standard procedure" as one might say. Burn a DVD with the .iso (which is what the magazine has done) and make the DVD the first boot option in the BIOS. The computer will now run that system and you can see how it works, get the feel of it yet not change anything on the computer running it.

If it is a Linux Mint .iso the third icon down is usually "Install". Providing things are set up right going through that will give 3 options - wipe the disk and just install, install alongside the operating system there or "something else", what ever that might be.

Of all the various Linux "flavours" I prefer Mint with the Cinnamon desktop. MATE desktop looks about the same but with fewer options.

During the life of this thread, i upgraded Win7 to 10, then suffered a HDD failure. A SSD replacement sorted that, and then with the resulting "why not" opportunity thus presented, installed Linux Mint after the suggestions in this thread. Very happy with it so far and not planning to change, so to those that suggested it, thanks for the tip.

Posted by Dale Bradly on 04/02/2020 05:11:25:

...opportunity thus presented, installed Linux Mint after the suggestions in this thread. Very happy with it so far and not planning to change, so to those that suggested it, thanks for the tip.

This forum might be of interest, ranging from how to fix things to, well anything in the Chat section -

https://forums.linuxmint.com/

There are numerous comments from users who have a "never going back to Microsoft" attitude.