CAA ID number discussion

SIMON CRAGG

So it's the 23rd February and still no Operator ID #. Personally I thought that it was important to support the BMFA in following their advice and registering through BMFA rather than directly with the CAA, as my opinion was that would strengthen BMFA's position in representing model flyers. It's bad enough that registration is necessary in the first place without it being implemented in such a shoddy manner.

If the mechanics of the supposed batch processing of the BMFA members' registrations were known beforehand it begs the question why the processing of these didn't start in January when they were undoubtedly available, as they had all been processed on the BMFA portal?

Now the goalposts have completely shifted with the exemption in place for all BMFA members until 30th June and the entire interim registration mess is shown up for what it is - a collossal waste of time and effort.

AS one of the first 4000 my "certificate" says I must have a Flyer ID (YES I KNOW WE DON'T)

However it occurs to me that PC Plod will look at the certificate and ask where the flyer ID is.

I am pretty sure, no, totally convinced that verbal explanatons will be ignored.

Therefore I will be printing out the recent article from the BMFA explaining the incompetance of the CAA and stating that we don't need a Flyer ID.

Before long we will need a file an inch thick in our flight boxes just to prove that we are legal.

And "They" control the aircraft flying over your house!!

Posted by Brian Hammond on 23/02/2020 08:58:16:

How about a mass demonstration to demand our £9 back and threaten to go on strike ,that would make the powers that be sit up and take notice 😈😈

Those of us who floated the idea of 'pushing back' on these rules were roundly accused of being reactionary and boring by some others on this site. TBH, where we are now doesn't impact us by much other than being fleeced of nine quid and the minor inconvenience of putting a totally worthless label on your models and having your email inbox filled with updates and afterthoughts. If this makes you feel good and adds to your overall positive experience of our great hobby, then that's just fine. This whole fiasco hardly merits a mention or a disinterested shrug of the shoulders among those club members that attend the meetings of the two clubs that I belong too. So forget any 'popular uprising'. Give it a year or so and Joe Flyer might start asking why he's being charged to jump through hoops for no good reason and for no benefit to the security or safety of the lower airspace or the wider good of aeromodelling............please don't give me all the propaganda about drone delivery, flying taxis, surveillance etc etc and how they'll need to know where we are. It'll never meaningfully reach that stage for a number of reasons, and what we have now is a solution looking for a non existant problem that will go on for many many years until someone wakes up to the futility of it and clearly demonstrates the failings of targetting 'the good guys'.  By then our hobby might well be so badly diminished that no one will care anyway.

I have my number (yipee!) and it'll be attached to my models when I can be asked. Closed season for flying for me at the moment but looking forward to the better weather. Enjoy your flying, all nice and legal for now, but beware of bureaucrats bearing regulations - they haven't finished with us yet and I fear just what sort of regulatory coup de grace they'll dream up in the coming years.

Edited By Cuban8 on 23/02/2020 10:14:59

It seriously saddens me that there are so may moaning, stupid, gretins in this hobby. The law is the law whether we like it or not. The BMFA have done a stirling job in holding back the reins of possible imposed legislation and getting us a better deal and all some can do is whine and winge. If the BMFA (and other model flying organisations) had not stepped in where would we be now.

The more that don't follow the law the more difficult it will be for all of us in the end.

+ another 1 😎

Life's too short to get aeriated about what are in relation to our hobby, generally minor aggravations, inflicted upon us by unelected timeservers. Nine quid and a bit of form-filling is hardly "The end of life (or in our case rc model flying) as we know it".

I've already got my A Cert' - so, after my annual phone call to HQ my insurance & membership is paid up to date - then, earlier this week I received an email with my CAA number. The whole deal was sorted out painlessly with a five minute (might have been less) phone call - where IS the problem?

Posted by cymaz on 21/02/2020 22:40:13:

Here’s a good one

Mrs C and I both fly in the same club. Mrs C has NO A cert and has a flier ID as a result.

I have a B cert and on the portal it clearly show I am CAA registered.

So in who’s name is the operator ID in?? Yep the wife’s............work that one outsurprise

At least some of you have your operator number under the correct name!

Posted by Old Geezer on 23/02/2020 11:01:24:

+ another 1 😎

Life's too short to get aeriated about what are in relation to our hobby, generally minor aggravations, inflicted upon us by unelected timeservers. Nine quid and a bit of form-filling is hardly "The end of life (or in our case rc model flying) as we know it".

I've already got my A Cert' - so, after my annual phone call to HQ my insurance & membership is paid up to date - then, earlier this week I received an email with my CAA number. The whole deal was sorted out painlessly with a five minute (might have been less) phone call - where IS the problem?

The problem is that not everyone has experienced that simple process in the intended manner - as evidenced by the change of tack by the CAA and issue of an amended exception for all association members.

All of this could pale into insignificance of course if (more likely when) so-called "electronic conspicuity" becomes enforced on us. I believe that really WILL see people dropping out of the hobby.

Having just watched the recent "Panorama" programme on the subject of how much Amazon knows about us and their ambitions, I wouldn't be too sure that Amazon drones won't be in the skies before long. It seems that it won't only be deliveries they'll be doing, but surveillance too.

Tim.

I think the criminal element will have a field day with the amazon delivery drones, i had £1500 worth of modelling gear being shipped out to Cyprus when i lived there by UPS, the UPS lorry carrying it was stolen in the uk, so the drones stand no chance

I believe the CAA have a very capable tea lady who earns a small fortune and supplies some of Fortnum's most treasured confectionary and even imports the finest teas from China and Darjeeling. It is served in antique hand gilded porcelain and takes a fair chunk out of their day to serve, consume and relish. Fortunately the cost of this essential aspect of working there is exactly 324,000 Pounds per annum, so whoever worked out the accounts on that one was spot on!

Martin (tongue so far in cheek I've had to tattoo my OP number on it)

Posted by trebor on 23/02/2020 09:35:30:
We could have our own Extinction Rebellion called the CAA Rebellion, go to the head office and dig some turf angry 2 I,ve got my spade in the car yes

Trebor, please reassure me and others who have reported this post as being irresponsible that it was intended as a 'tongue in cheek' comment, rather than a plan for the next wet flying day.....otherwise I'll have to remove itsmile

Pete

Posted by trebor on 23/02/2020 08:45:25:

I want my £9 back if we are exempt for half the year or at least £4.50 face 5

It seems very clear to me from Andy Symons' explanation that the exemption is intended to cover new members and late renewals and has been simplified to cover the situation without the wording getting too complex.

Why not just celebrate that you've had a couple of months advantage over the ordinary punters who've paid from the inception of the Operator registration?

None of us want, or see the need for registration and many of us have voiced their reasoned objections but it's gone through the due process and is now law. We have far worse to worry about than the cost of half a gallon of glow fuel when the European legislators get going in July!

I can’t believe what a dog’s breakfast it’s turned into. The CAA should have left it all to the bmfa ( I include LMA and SAA ).Even to the point of giving Chacksfield some personnel to help, they know the fliers, they know their records.

Just because we’re bizarre men and women sit in fields with an odd pastime doesn’t mean we can’t run a simple licence system........that’s what the bmfa has been doing since Moses was a lad

Edited By cymaz on 23/02/2020 17:41:37

Posted by Cuban8 on 23/02/2020 09:44:00:
Posted by Brian Hammond on 23/02/2020 08:58:16:

How about a mass demonstration to demand our £9 back and threaten to go on strike ,that would make the powers that be sit up and take notice 😈😈

Those of us who floated the idea of 'pushing back' on these rules were roundly accused of being reactionary and boring by some others on this site. TBH, where we are now doesn't impact us by much other than being fleeced of nine quid and the minor inconvenience of putting a totally worthless label on your models and having your email inbox filled with updates and afterthoughts. If this makes you feel good and adds to your overall positive experience of our great hobby, then that's just fine. This whole fiasco hardly merits a mention or a disinterested shrug of the shoulders among those club members that attend the meetings of the two clubs that I belong too. So forget any 'popular uprising'. Give it a year or so and Joe Flyer might start asking why he's being charged to jump through hoops for no good reason and for no benefit to the security or safety of the lower airspace or the wider good of aeromodelling............please don't give me all the propaganda about drone delivery, flying taxis, surveillance etc etc and how they'll need to know where we are. It'll never meaningfully reach that stage for a number of reasons, and what we have now is a solution looking for a non existant problem that will go on for many many years until someone wakes up to the futility of it and clearly demonstrates the failings of targetting 'the good guys'. By then our hobby might well be so badly diminished that no one will care anyway.

I have my number (yipee!) and it'll be attached to my models when I can be asked. Closed season for flying for me at the moment but looking forward to the better weather. Enjoy your flying, all nice and legal for now, but beware of bureaucrats bearing regulations - they haven't finished with us yet and I fear just what sort of regulatory coup de grace they'll dream up in the coming years.

Edited By Cuban8 on 23/02/2020 10:14:59

I will assume I'm one of those you refer to, I don't think you nor anyone else are reactionary, but I do think some talk/moan a lot then do nowt, the Opposite of reactionary. If you're gonna band together and take action, good luck with it, if not, It's just moaning.