Will we continue to get the magazine (RCM&E)?

Brian Dorricott 1

Given the current situation do you think we will still get the RCME magazine in the coming months ? Not sure whether printers etc are essential workers or not . I ask because as this situation goes on things to read and divert oneself may be short supply and workshop builds can only take up so much time . Also beware that Corry\Emmerdale\Eastenders are in short supply soon so the wife may want to be entertained further eating into workshop time.

Happy isolation .

Brian.

With the number of posters and flyers around at the moment I don't thing the printers will be closed down soon, Certainly not those involved with "media". That is unless the raw materials are diverted for alternative production (if you know what I mean wink 2).

I haven't watched soaps since Ena Sharples was alive and Elsie Tanner was still chucking it around, but I think you should be reasonably safe as long as the phones are still working.

Regarding workshop time, eventually your other half will get so fed up of you being "under her feet" that she will be positively pushing you into the shed. So now is the time to put that purchase list together because before too long there won't be any objections !

Think positive and stay safe.

Kevin b (self isolating for the last 20 years)

Morning all. A reply from Kevin (Editor):

The answer is yes, RCM&E will continue to be published, unless printers are told to shut down. But then they were deemed essential during wartime, so fingers crossed they will remain so this time too. Even if that did happen there is now the option to carry on digitally, so unless things get really dire then we should be able to carry on, management willing.

The May issue has just gone to print and work has just started on the June issue. However, steps have already been taken to try to insulate MyTime Media from the worst effects of the crisis and in RCM&E’s case this means a change in pagination to 100 pages and one pull-out plan from June onwards. Publication frequency has also reverted back to 12 issues, so there will no longer be a Special issue later this year.

Kevin.

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 31/03/2020 11:58:11

Time to start submitting photos and texts for those balsa kit and plan builds, there have been enough requests for a return to the old days when every issue included at least one build article. Perhaps Phil G and Pete Christy could be persuaded to compile some electronics articles? You could even drag a few building/covering/painting type articles from the archives, many are as relevant today as they were 30 years ago. For new technologies there's the use of CAD to transfer a model from paper plan or original thought through to cutting or printing files.  How about some autogyro articles covering design and setup principles?

I've just been looking through some 1980's Radio Modellers. Electronics, boats, cars - the whole spectrum was covered back then, why not now? Surely there must be a few among us with a bit of writing talent and a half decent camera?

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 31/03/2020 15:58:16

How about some nice simple explanations around say:

• Why IC engines need to have double nuts on the prop shaft when other engines use a single bolt?
  • Why some ESC manufacturers say you don't need capacitors when extending ESC to battery leads and some do?
  • Do we really need to pin hinges and how do you pin a small Robart hinge?
  • How do you fly a low inverted pass without lawn darting at the end?
  • Which is the best TX/RX combo?
  • Why do some flyers land down wind as if its the only option open to them?

Anyone think of any others wink

Whilst some people subscribe there must be plenty who normally buy at the newsagents but won't whilst isolating. So I looked to see how to just buy 1 issue, and frankly MagsUK will not state what just 1 issue posted would cost - unless you actually buy! A request for estimate of shipping does not work for UK ! I gave up - if they cannot tell me the cost before I put all my info in I won't buy. It's things like this that cause loss of sales in my opinion. Needs sorting.

As an alternative one could subscribe but the info is out of date - it still says you get 13 issue a year which we now know is not correct!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello David (I hope your watching still)

I received an email today from Kate Hall (Subscription Manager) however I can't reply to the email I don't think.

It's a very confusing email saying that the magazine won't be sent out to me (In Australia) for the foreseeable future due to current world issues. It also says that I'll get free access to the archives as to what I guess is compensation for not getting the magazine. I'm confused because I'm already a Print and Digital subscriber and I have always had access to the archives as part of my subscription.

Are you able to find out what's happening and let me know. At the end of the day I'd like the hardcopy in my hands.

Regards Glenn.

Hi all,

I did receive a message yesterday saying that for the time being all overseas subscribers will not receive their printed copy of RCM&E. Instead, they will be able to read the magazine online without extra charge.

The reason given was that due to the present Covid-19 situation a timely receipt cannot be guaranteed

I regret that we did not get the opportunity to choose between late receipt or online reading, I do favour the printed copy. In particular, the absence of the free plans bothers me, I like to study those even when I build only occasionally from them (I have been an occasional contributor myself....).

My first choice would be receipt of the mag in print, even when late, but as compensation I would very much appreciate if these plans can be viewed online in some way, even in a reduced size.

Cheers,

Max.

Edit: I see I'm not the only disappointed customer.....

Edited By Max Z on 14/04/2020 14:12:58

Glenn and Max,

I'm just having a word with the subscriptions manager and will get back with (I hope) some clarity soon.

I wouldn't reply to Kate as although the email has been sent in her name, she's currently furloughed. email replies should go to [email protected].

Back as soon as I have something. 

David.

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 14/04/2020 15:20:03

Same here, I am a digital and print subscriber and would prefer to stay this way.

I have no problems with issues being delayed till the end of the year (nice Xmas present), but not being able to download the magazines (without paying for the individual item) using the app on my tablet means I have nothing new to read from RCM&E.

The webbased reader simply doesn't work as the zoom doesn't work and the text of a full A4 is simply too small to read comfortably.

Ok,

As the email conveyed, basically overseas subscriptions are paused and will pick up again as soon as the international couriers are back on track, subscribers will then go on to receive the correct number of issues they have paid for.

This does mean that some paper issues will be missed completely. The advice is to hang on till your next normal issue is received and then email subscriptions with details of those you've missed if you would still like them, if stock is held then they'll be sent and the subscription length adjusted accordingly (if that makes sense).

I'm just the messenger of course, not an employee, and without access to the subscriber database etc. So please use the email in my post above to convey specific requests to subscriptions.

Sorry I can't give you anything better but I know Kevin would join me in expressing sincere thanks to overseas readers for their patience and forbearance in these difficult times.

David

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 14/04/2020 16:15:45

David, you seem to have contact with the publisher, which I do not. (None of my emails to the publisher have been answered and this lack of feedback from them is not helping matters here).

I would prefer to have the "missing" issues put in storage and sent out, in bulk, when the situation clears. The main reason why I took a subscription is to not loose any issues anymore.

With the subscription itself being put on "suspended", I am now no longer able to even access the digital versions through the app, without paying a much higher price for each issue individually.

David, while I accept that none of this is your fault, your defence of the situation in a previous post does put ypu somewhat in the firing line.
I consider the approach of the publisher to be totally unacceptable. I have been a very long time reader of RCM&E and a subscriber for many years. As a suscriber outside the UK, just, I have come to accept late deliveries as the norm.
However our postal service is still operating as normal, and its just a little hard to accept the decision to just stop posting the hard copies. RCM&E however late is always welcome.
If the hard copies of the magazine stop then I see no reason to renew my subscription,.