If you like engines.........

Cuban8

Those who have even the slightest involvement with the world of motorcycling will almost certainly have heard of engineer Allen Millyard. For those who haven't, take a look at his YouTube videos of some of the most extraordinary feats of engineering that have come out of a home workshop. To take a hacksaw to a engine, cut it in half and graft on a couple of extra cylinders is amazing, but to actually get the motor to run and complete the work to an exceedingly high standard is something else.

We met Allen at last year's National Motorcycle Museum open day where he deafened us with a indoor run of the 'Flying Millyard' (see video of how to graft part of an aircraft radial engine into a bike frame). He is such a nice bloke, totally unassuming and ready to talk to anyone who's interested in his work.

**LINK**

Advert

He is the most amazing bloke....he built a bike for a friend of mine a few years ago....based on a Kawasaki KH250 (a three cylinder two stroke bike in case you were wondering) he grafted on a couple of extra cylinders to make a 400cc FIVE cylinder bike....

Simply amazing......

You'd think he would have a 5 axis CNC machine in his shed at least but no he uses the most basic of tools & works mainly from his head....

Some of his other work....

kh1000.jpg

kh1250.jpg

z2600.jpg

The engineering skill may be fantastic but what is the point? Every motorcycle on the road seems more than capapble of exceeding the speed limits so why bother increasing the size of the engine and just burning more fuel and causing more polution? Be better to put all that skill into making vehicles more efficient or making electric motorbikes more practical.

You could ask the same question of us - why do we fly 'toy' aeroplanes, either causing noise pollution or potentially causing a problem of disposing of some rather nasty chemicals used in our batteries.

The point is to exercise the mind, to see what is possible using skill and ingenuity and in the process make something that looks like it could have come out of the factory.

And don't lets get on to the electric vehicle subject again - we all know where that went last time!!sad

Stay safe

Kim

Ive known Allen a few years now being a fellow Kwak triple owner. Talented chap. He pops up a lot on Henry Coles tv shows such as the Motorbike show and Find it fix it flog it

My 1972 H2 750 is usually good for 15-20 mpg but thats comparable to my turbine Hotspot (2 litres per 5 min flight!).    Having said that, lately its up to 3 weeks per gallon!

20180919_181346.jpg

Edited By dave windymiller on 09/04/2020 20:26:35

• 4 weeks later...
Posted by kc on 09/04/2020 17:18:51:

The engineering skill may be fantastic but what is the point? Every motorcycle on the road seems more than capable of exceeding the speed limits so why bother increasing the size of the engine and just burning more fuel and causing more pollution? Be better to put all that skill into making vehicles more efficient or making electric motorbikes more practical.

You have a point kc, but what if every clever and innovative person adhered to the safe, clean and efficient mantra? What a boring world we'd be living in. As for electric motorcycles, I've seen a few at recent motorcycle shows and I really do have to ask "what is their point"? High performance types, I'm referring to, not commuter scooters which I'm sure do have a roll to fill.

I watched a Harley-Davidson Live Wire being put through its paces at The NEC show last year on a rolling road..........very powerful but its whirring sounded utterly soulless and without character in my book. Others may well disagree of course and I'm not looking to start the old petrol v electric debate.

Have a look at the velocette v twin or his honda 6 replica, utterly marvelous.

As for making economy bikes and cars, let all the sheeple have them and save all the petrol for those of us who want to enjoy it!

Its time to get back out on the field and burn some methanol.

Regards

Glenn

There was a guy who worked at Rolls-Royce in Derby who shoehorned engines into frames. His first was a pair of 500cc Triumph twins (in tandem IIRC) and then he made a V8 with 2 Hillman Imp engines. I never met him but saw the bikes in the sheds near where I parked my pedal cycles. The V8 had a shft drive. Someone told me he was ashed to park it out of sight when Norman Tebbit visited the factory because there quite obvious signs where some of the parts originated ie he was probably 'sponsored' by RR

They weren't super pretty like the ones pictured here but thy were sufficiently practical he used them for commuting.

One of the nicest specials I had a ride on was 250cc Ducati with a unit Triumph 500cc engine. It had a Honda Benly 125cc front wheel with twin leading shoe brakes with drum so big the spokes were tiny. It was made by Ray Petty of Nottingham who was an artist in sheet metal bashing and rode 500cc Ariels in sidecar trials. He did the bodywork for the Mini-powered 3 wheeler that was very successfully raced against sidecars in the 70s.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff S on 09/05/2020 21:25:48

Posted by Geoff S on 09/05/2020 21:25:05:

. He did the bodywork for the Mini-powered 3 wheeler that was very successfully raced against sidecars in the 70s.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff S on 09/05/2020 21:25:48

Was that the machine raced by Owen Greenwood? I remember that it was quite successful, mind he was a very good racer. It caused a lot of controversy at the time, and I think it was eventually banned...…………...Mal

Yes, that was the one. Ray's workshop was a tip - you could hardly see the floor - but the stuff that came out of it was absolutely beautiful. He lent me a 1936 350cc Ariel prepared for trials and I managed to win a trial with it. Not seen him for years but the last time I saw him he told me he'd acquired my old 1953 BSA BB34 Gold Star which he claimed was the very first Goldie with a pivoted fork rear suspension.

Geoff

I used to have a close friend, now sadly passed away at a quite young age of 60, about 15 years ago. Funny enough, he was also an ex motorcycyle racer, and he had an incredibly small shed, which also in a state of chaos.He used to build 3 and 5 cylinder radial engines,using 'seconds quality' cylinder and pistons from Neil Tidey, the 'Laser' manufacturer..Neil Tidey actually attended my friend's funeral. He also used to make incredible retract u/c's for the LMA lads,and did a lot of work for Dr Jeremy Shaw, including fitting self starters to his engines.Another coincidence, my friends name was also Ray (Slack )…………...Mal

Drag bike with 3 tuned H2 engines

imag0819.jpg

My boss and myself took redundancy from the power industry 5 years ago. My boss, a former drag racing champion talked about designing a new drag bike. 5 years later, i have a few model planes made whilst he made this 1700cc triple, completely scratch built monster. !imag0825.jpg

Posted by mal brewer on 09/05/2020 22:17:24:

I used to have a close friend, now sadly passed away at a quite young age of 60, about 15 years ago. Funny enough, he was also an ex motorcycyle racer, and he had an incredibly small shed, which also in a state of chaos.He used to build 3 and 5 cylinder radial engines,using 'seconds quality' cylinder and pistons from Neil Tidey, the 'Laser' manufacturer..Neil Tidey actually attended my friend's funeral. He also used to make incredible retract u/c's for the LMA lads,and did a lot of work for Dr Jeremy Shaw, including fitting self starters to his engines.Another coincidence, my friends name was also Ray (Slack )…………...Mal

Now that name rings a bell! Didn't Alex W or somebody feature his work in the mag many years ago?

Great thread ! I really enjoy going to Santa Pod and watching the drag racing . There are some beautiful feats of engineering there . It’s a great friendly atmosphere too and very interesting chatting to racers and mechanics who produce what are often beautiful works of “engineering art” often from small home workshops . 😊👍