RC IC Engines, you've probably never heard of.

Paul Marsh

Barrie: To avoid hijacking this thread, I've started a fresh one, with details and pix of some of the bits I inherited from Peter Valentine.

I've also got his electric "MayFly" - which didn't due to the nicad battery pack and brushed motor of the time. It might be possible to retro fit it with a brushless setup, although that won't be easy as the brushed motor had a reduction gearbox fitted!

I'm currently building an electric Lark Mk2, and hope to have it ready to run up in the garden in a couple of weeks....

--

Pete

Hi Robin

The ASP Diesel

It is very different. I am not sure the why and what behind. I picked it up in an Auction and it was listed as ASP Diesel. It could easily be ASP or SC. I think probably the Chinese having go at the Irvine 40 Diesel. It’s essentially a glow converted, but not a home conversion. I’m sure of that as the Carb is around the size of a 20/25 Carb and that would be about right for a 40-size diesel. They use much smaller carbs. Also ‘prototype’ rings true as the there is no ASP logo on the Crankcase. The little circle is empty of Logo.

That’s a good crop of ‘different’ engines. The Taipan looks awesome. I completely forgot the Hi Max four stroke. Lovely you have some nice memories. I know what you are saying. I lost my Father a few years ago and I have fond memories of certain engines or aircraft.

Brian. MVVS Fabulous engines. I have a couple of Diesels. Excellent quality engines.

Paul – MDS

Hi I hope you are well? The RMS was the next chapter in MDS history. Because distributors in the UK and Europe had shot themselves in the foot by putting out inferior quality products under the MDS name initially, the Robbe / MDS label was not enough of a move to change minds of modellers – Regard MDS quality. The Robbe MDS was a massive improvement on the early MDS ‘Gold’ tops. It was too late and MDS had become the Lada of the engine world. Jokes such as them only being good for use of a paperweight etc. It was a little unfair as the Robbe MDS’s were very good. Yes I really said that.

Peter - Interesting stuff. experimental Heli’s missed me/passed me by, but its mighty interesting stuff. Pioneering you could say.

Hi Barry,

Hope you are keeping well? Hope everyone else is also.
smiley

I see what you mean regard combat engine comparison. I think your quite correct. Perhaps they took inspiration from that?

The Enya 41 Four Stroke Diesel I have in my collection, but I don’t have the 36 Version. That’s a very rare one. I think we only had 2 or 3 of them in the UK. I am not sure they ever ‘occur’ again. I have no idea why they didn’t just make more 41’s. I made a mistake as if I’d known they were going to be so rare I’d have snazzled one.

The prices would over £400, maybe even £500 - I can’t see them ever being available again. That’s 41D and 36D
Enya Engine 36-4CD DIESEL AL-CHRO TN

Features:

AL-CHROME Cylinder and Piston
Specifications:
Displacement: 5.89 cc
Bore x Stroke: 21.0 x 17.0 mm
Weight: 403g w/muffler, plug
Power: 0.6 HP
Rev. Range: 1,800~9,000 rpm
Suitable prop: 12~14?8~5 in.
Suit. Plane weight: 2.0~3.5 kg

I'll try and find a picture.

Here's a rare and much sought after engine. Its a Beno Schlosser 05 - a 1/2 cc . Its probably more powerful than many 1cc diesels. This is the RC version. Which is Ultra Rare.
Beno Schlosser

I love Schlosser. I purchased this one off the late David Owen in Australia. He was Beno's agent. I think it cost me over £200 by the time I was taxed importing it. It felt like a massive amount of money in 2007. Beno's engineering is second to none. Its up there with the Olivers. But I was always a little Disappointed regard the throttle arm.

Its a JR servo horn cut down. I expect if there was 20 or 30 RC versions , it had to be done that way. Its was already a an expensive engine a bespoke arm manufactured would have cost even more. I expect he did not want to make a metal arm as he would have heard stories of metal to metal noise. For me I would have prefered it.

That's all for now.

Very interesting thread for engine fanciers.

Steve

Posted by Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) on 15/04/2020 23:33:04:

ASP 40 Diesel One I think I will surprise a few with. An ASP ( Acceleration Speed and Performance ) Chinese 40 RC Diesel.

ASP 40 Diesel and Carb

The Info I have is that it was a Prototype or one of a few Diesel 40 's that ASP released. Its the only one I have ever seen. Does any one else have one or any info they could share. I've lost my diesel book at the moment. I have sold some in recent years and bought more. I don't think I sold this one. My memory is terrible.

I doubt I will have as its rare, so I probably still have this.

The wife said do you worry about Burglar's. I said always - but then again I can't find a lot of them myself and so how will they?

That's not a challenge if you are a Burglar!

Any info, would be lovely.

Steve

Did a double take on seeing the pictures, first reaction, what's an Irvine diesel doing in this thread only to read that it's not an Irvine

• 2 months later...

More Diesels. The Blue Tops are Glows that have been converted to Diesel. The West Engine is a currently available RC Diesel Engine 38 size. The West 38 - Only from Weston UK. Alan at Weston UK also has some ED Diesels available again.

Peter Tarn Diesels

There is a Model Engineer I have come to know called Peter Tarn. A grand chap and super model engineer. He set about converting Glows to Diesels. Why? Because he could. He's come up with a system and converted all manner of glow to Diesel.

Like all engines that are custom, his engines are Rare. he sometimes lists conversions for sale on eBay. Last week he had a 15 LA Diesel in auction on eBay. A new condition engine only ran by Peter to check the conversion.. A strong runner as a Diesel and super quiet. The 15 LA engine made it to £188 in auction. His engines are well thought off. I'd put them in the custom , rare and hard to find range of engines. That is not readily available , although Peter has done commision Diesel Builds.Keep an eye on his store on eBay, he lists conversions all the time. Currently 30.06.2020 he has a K&B diesel for sale. It looks awesome. Below We have some SS 50 Enya Diesels and Nova Rossi Rear Exhaust 3.5 cc WC 2008 engine, pictured along side West 38 Diesel Engine. The West 38 is currently available Direct only from, Weston UK. Its a cracker!Peter Tarn SS 40 Dieselwest 38 and Rossi DieselWest Diesel 38 RCWeston UK West 38 Diesel with my Enyas

Lovely looking engines. Weston's route offers an off the shelf way into RC Diesel engines.

Enjoy

Steve

• Like 1

Another Rare Diesel currently available from Red Fin Engines is an 05 Mini Racer Based on the famous and classic 2.49 racer by ED its a jewel of an engine. great for 30 to 40 inch RC assist vintage. The Junior 60 flew with the Original 2.46 Diesel. It was often seen paired with one. Now you can build the half size Junior 30 and have a shrunken down 1/2 cc Replica in it. Just perfect for a 1/2 size Junior 60 or similar.Red Fin Mini Racer 1/2cc

Red Fin engines are by Alex Phin. Hence the name. The Mini Racer is available in Original as pictured or a classic cool blue version or a green version. They all look awesome, but its hard to beat the original Red and Black look. You wont get Red Fin at a store or anywhere else. Its available from Alex Phin Direct.

He has stock at June 2020 - He has a new Millish 061 TBR engine due soon. A modern running engine with a vintage style of looks. He has fixed stunt venturi, but he does offer diesel Carbs for some of his engines. So some can be RC throttle engines. He was a website Red Fin Engines, although its never totally up to date. His contact details are there.

I think Alex is doing aeromodelling a great service designing and manufacturing ( in the Ukraine) diesel engines when i'm sure making such engines is a risky business. Because of modern manufacturing methods, Alex has been able to run limited quantity runs on all manner of small diesel engines including 2 Twins 060 and 99 and a Tether Car Diesel. Once manufactured in The Ukraine they end up with Alex who test runs every engine before dispatch. Once 100,200 or 400 engines of a type have been sold they are usually not made again. It keeps the engine types 'wanted' and scarce and it also keeps the value of the engines at least the buying price if not more. The Twin diesels which have cost £200 to £245 from Alex have been seen selling on eBay for £300 to £450. Instant gain in value on the purchase price. Alex has no 060's leftm, but he does have some 99 size. I think around £240 to £250 or more with RC carb. Yet they are selling for over £400 on eBay sometimes. Once thing is for sure the return on Alex 's engines it better than the Nationwide Building Society high interest account.

Buy to run and sniff, buy to invest and collect or even use them in model planes. Apparently that's what they were for originally. surprise

Red Fin Mini Race 05

Millish 020 by Red Fin

My millish 020 from Alex Phin. Number 10

2 Millish 030 or 020

Even though the Crank Case says 030 , its really the 020 - the 030 was made and then the 020 and to keep costs down they share the crank case right down to them all being marked 030.

13 red fin mills.jpg

Alex Originally started with manufacture in China by CS and after CS closed he went to the Ukraine. It has to be said the Ukraine engines are way ahead regard construction and build quality, but as can be seen by this Navo 1.3 ( Mills 1.3 ) engine the Chinese turned out a nice looking engine most of the time.

I will try and post some more Red Fin as I think they are one of the UK 's best kept secrets.

Steve

• Like 1

I mentioned the Red Fin Twins. These are also from Alex Phin. As far as I am aware he has no 060 Twins available and that's now finished regard new manufacture. He does have some 99 Twins left currently. Very low numbers.

060-.99 twins.jpg

They look so sexy!

Red Fin 99 Flag Ship Twin

The Silencers tend to starve the engines power.

The Twin should only be run by someone experienced in the running of model diesel engines. They must not be ran over rich. if the cylinders flood and one over compresses while the other is still max on power the loads put on the individual conrods can cause failure. NEVER let the rear cylinder over take the from cylinder in revs. It will all go very wrong, very quickly. This is not an unusual trait in Diesel Twins. The Boddo Twin suffered the same issues. The rear cylinder revving harder than the front causing conrod failure and instant engine stop. The OTT 5cc Twin also suffered Conrod Fails if the rear cylinder revved more than the front. The forces on the conrods when the cylinders are compressed or revving differently can lead to catastrophic failure. 

Alex Fin Twin Fin Diesel Engines

Alex Fin Twin Fin Diesel Engines

I've always had a thing for Twins, Diesel Twins - Its heaven. Diesel Heaven.

Steve

Edited By Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) on 30/06/2020 17:23:41

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Comos were indeed a range of engines made by Super-Tigre. I believe they were originally made specially for one of the major US hobby chains, but later became generally available.

Good engines - just like the Super-Tigres! Just be aware that STs were designed to run on little or no nitro! You might get away with 5%, but anything more is likely to have them running hot and horrible! If you must use nitro in one, add some extra head gaskets to reduce the compression!

--

Pete

Posted by Peter Christy on 17/08/2020 16:57:08:

Good engines - just like the Super-Tigres! Just be aware that STs were designed to run on little or no nitro! You might get away with 5%, but anything more is likely to have them running hot and horrible! If you must use nitro in one, add some extra head gaskets to reduce the compression!

--

Pete

The big engines certainly were although I had a few over the years of the ST 29 . A great little engine but hated any fuel with under 10% nitro.

Posted by robert chamberlain on 18/08/2020 02:33:41:

another interesting one is the HP VT which I think is still sold by MERCO.4 stroke but no valves , rocker arms , springs in the traditional sense . A geared rotating shaft uncovers and covers intake and exhaust holes. Small muffler and very quiet

Robert I think that the firm that you are looking for is the Model Engine Company of America, MECOA not Merco! **LINK**

I've had five of these, two 21s, a 25 and two 49s. The 25 was an overbored 21 and I believe that a 61 was also available though I've never seen one. This would have been an overbored 49. They were very quiet and economical but not very powerful and rather heavy. My 21 usually failed to lift my Junior 60 off a tarmac runway. I installed the 25 which cured that problem. Picture of my 25 on the test stand below.

hp25vt (2).jpg

Rossi isn't exactly unknown - but please raise your hand if you have heard about the Rossi 105 Aero engine.

In the late 1990s it was marketed for F3A aerobatics and Rossi was promising 10,000 rpm with a 16X16 prop.

I bought it from Just Engines in 2000 - when I was even more young and foolish, and had some money to spare from Government Temp Jobs abroad. Never ran it (yet?).

Rossi 105 Aero engine

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 30/06/2020 at 18:02, Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) said:

He has a new Millish 061 TBR engine due soon. A modern running engine with a vintage style of looks. He has fixed stunt venturi, but he does offer diesel Carbs for some of his engines. So some can be RC throttle engines. He was a website Red Fin Engines, although its never totally up to date. His contact details are there.

• Like 1