RC IC Engines, you've probably never heard of.

Paul Marsh

The CS engines referred to by Steve seemed to have started off well and produced a good range of repo English diesels Inc some ED and Oliver models. Later offerings it appears were of dubious quality /materials; un-like the ASP range that continually improved over they years.

A couple of years ago I bought a lovely little Boddo  Mills that was made by CS engines. It was as new in its box and so oiled and put away for a project. Roll on a couple of years and the little Boddo Mills was taken out of its packing only to find that the crankcase had split the length of the crank shaft !  It still turned over and had good compression although no crankcase compression due to the split.I have tried unsuccessfully to obtain replacement as CS have also closed down. I have been told that this is a well known problem. I had a go at soldering the case using low temp alloy rods but found that the rubbish CS molded the case from melted at the same temp   !  Hopefully the East European engine makers will continue making engines for RedFinn as they seem of far better quality.

PS. Still looking for a crank case for the Boddo if anyone has one to sell ? ............  Failing that I have an excellent set of spare if anyone is interested.

E.D.

43 minutes ago, Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) said:

yes a mills of some sort. Probably Indian . Does the back plate have ‘India’ on it ? or if not CS or Russian usually. It doesn’t come in a Jar , I think that’s your own receptacle. Mills in a Jar ? maybe worth showing at the Tate. It would sure beat the work ‘ brick in a jar’ for me 

Steve 

Better than anything Tracy Emmins could conjure up?. Certainly looks like an Indian Mills and all parts will fit an English Mills

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 20/07/2021 at 14:05, Engine Doctor said:

The CS engines referred to by Steve seemed to have started off well and produced a good range of repo English diesels Inc some ED and Oliver models. Later offerings it appears were of dubious quality /materials; un-like the ASP range that continually improved over they years.

A couple of years ago I bought a lovely little Boddo  Mills that was made by CS engines. It was as new in its box and so oiled and put away for a project. Roll on a couple of years and the little Boddo Mills was taken out of its packing only to find that the crankcase had split the length of the crank shaft !  It still turned over and had good compression although no crankcase compression due to the split.I have tried unsuccessfully to obtain replacement as CS have also closed down. I have been told that this is a well known problem. I had a go at soldering the case using low temp alloy rods but found that the rubbish CS molded the case from melted at the same temp   !  Hopefully the East European engine makers will continue making engines for RedFinn as they seem of far better quality.

PS. Still looking for a crank case for the Boddo if anyone has one to sell ? ............  Failing that I have an excellent set of spare if anyone is interested.

E.D.

Ive put this engine on another thread previously but just found this resurected thread  so here goes.

Well after trying to move on the internals for the Boddo Mills and getting no interest even at cost to cover postage I decided to buy a mini mill and make a new Crankcase. 

First pic is the new case mounted in my acient lathe a Myford ML2 . Old but still does the job. Pic i made a mount for the case as it would have been al ost impossible to hold.

IMG_20220111_171705929.thumb.jpg.1b784beb1393eeb7329204a6ec6679cc.jpg IMG_20220112_171617957.thumb.jpg.e607bdbb4c5a0b3d7694d6ed141fd888.jpgIMG_20220114_162008894.thumb.jpg.294b18627d8ea192593fc2e8421035b2.jpgIMG_20220126_161825784.thumb.jpg.4fe4037d3d225da8ed192c9027e0341a.jpg

Pic 2 is of the case being fitted to cylinder and tweaked for fits etc. Pic 3 is the case ready for final polshing before being anodised.

Its really quite a pretty little engine but wont win any prizes for power output ! 

As said earlier the CS range were at one time made quite good repos of old ED  and Olivers etc engines but this DB commission was not included in that . The crankcase was some kind of rubbish alloy and the crankshaft was / is made ftom a bit of rebar ! The marks around the web are unmistakable. 

The spinner is also made from some alloy concoctionsimilar to the original crankcase but will have to do for now. The anodising on spinner is flaking on it already but heyho as some alloys are just not suitable for taking anodising.

Happy new year to all on the forum.

Edited by Engine Doctor
  • Like 2

Royal were probably among the first quality engines from Taiwan, any one who's had experience of the flash brand will appreciate that statement, the .40 is almost a direct copy of the fabled OS 4O FSR so should be pretty decent and were fairly popular in the U.S. in the '80's being sold through the Tower hobbies outlets 

• Like 1

Don't know what happened there-lost all of the long post that went with it

Anyway it's a Nordec 10cc out of a rtp racing car as raced by my dad back in the day.

The Nordec was produced in Whyteleafe in Surrey and was a copy of the McCoy of the time.

This is a very rate (possibly unique) Mk2 Team Special which was a serious redesign and had much more power.

I rescued it from my dad's shed after he passed away and hope one day to get it running. 

Kim 

Edited by Kim Taylor
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Paul Marsh said:

thanks. Going to look for a .46. Wonder if they did a .60, etc...

I can't be definitive but it looks like they only did 25-46 aero & 21 car sizes:

image.thumb.png.af3777afbad75741df2c22e79cf7de15.png

The same 1994 mag has half a dozen retailers advertising these engines, eg:

image.thumb.png.1b6e6d7bc1f86430ae6715661325c70b.png

but in the next edition of the magazine that I have dated 1997 I can't find any reference at all to any Royal engines so it looks like it was a fairly short term venture.

• Like 2

dscf0053.jpg

What is known about my Profi (I think that is what is written), I purchased from Roland Scott, bottom right. Now I am surprised how oil/muck covered these IC motors are

It seems to be made extensively from "bar Stock" including the crank case, including the crank case.

As an aside, I miss going to Steve Webbs, having a chat with I assume Steve's dad, seemed to be always in attendance on the first floor, attending to mail order, with a veritable fleet of FF models ( I think he had built), hanging from the ceiling. To far now to go, although one of the few model shops I expect to continue for a long time.

3 hours ago, Erfolg said:

dscf0053.jpg

What is known about my Profi (I think that is what is written), I purchased from Roland Scott, bottom right. Now I am surprised how oil/muck covered these IC motors are

It seems to be made extensively from "bar Stock" including the crank case, including the crank case.

As an aside, I miss going to Steve Webbs, having a chat with I assume Steve's dad, seemed to be always in attendance on the first floor, attending to mail order, with a veritable fleet of FF models ( I think he had built), hanging from the ceiling. To far now to go, although one of the few model shops I expect to continue for a long time.

This is a comprehensive article on Profi Engines.  I have one, but would have to check which one it is, as it was part of my late father's collection.

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, Paul Marsh said:

never heard of a OS46FXi. different like half way between a FX and a LA.

I have never seen one yet. 

Does it still have intact liner plating ?

A couple of signs of OS cutting production costs in a dwindling market  like four bolt head, metal NV bracket instead of cast in on backplate , although thats a sensible move imo. No option to move NV onto carb .

As least OS are still makeing engines and keeping ic alive 🙂.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...