Is it a Lipo?

However A123 cells are 3.3v, and you said 3.7v., which doesn;t add up.

If you are looking for a replacemen 3.7V Lipo there are lots of 200mah 1s lipos that would fit the bill - just weigh and measure the battery to get the dimensions and weight right. If it's a little helicopter then the battery weight may well be critical.

The thing to be aware of with those single cell LiPos that plug straight in (ie no lead out but a connector as part of the cell) as used on, for example V911 micro helicopters thery come in 2 sizes that look identical in photos. The ones in the V911 are bigger than the ones eFlight use or are fitted to (say) Night Vapor indoor fixed wing.

It does seem odd that the name is Fe 123 and yet the voltage is 3.7.

Geoff

Erfolg

LiFe (A123) cells are normally charged to a maximum of 3.6V although it's not unreasonable that this could be pushed to 3.7V so it looks like this one was actually labelled with it's charge voltage. Most lithium cell types are labelled with their average voltage which is somewhere between fully charged and fully discharged and this is a source of confusion. LiPo cells are usually labelled as 3.7V as this is the average between full charge of 4.2V and discharged at 3.0V.

I hope this makes it a bit clearer.

A.

Edited By Andy Stephenson on 26/04/2020 00:18:00

The A123 LiFe cells are 3.3v, 2500mah capacity and cylindrical cells, with or without solder tags.

The 1s 200mah Lipo cells, which would be labelled 3.7v are a small, rectangular package - most typically like this with a built in connector as described by Geoff S - sometimes they might be a bit larger, with a JST connector on a flylead.

Perhaps Erfolg can let us know whether the battery he has is anything like the ones above?

To clarify matters, as best I can. Here are two photos of said cell.

wp_20200426_10_36_30_pro.jpg

wp_20200426_10_36_58_pro.jpg

I will now read the posts that have kindly be made, then seek out a replacement battery. PS, its a great toy.smiley

Patmac, its a Chinook look alike, cost £10 about 10 years back, only now has the battery shown its failing/failed.crying

Edited By Erfolg on 26/04/2020 11:00:05

Erfolg,

Can you check the charge voltage of the charger that went with the model. If it maxes out at 3.7V then the cell is a LiFe type. If on the other hand it maxes out at 4.2V then it's definitely a LiPo type. If you replace the battery with a LiPo and your charger only charges it to 3.7V then no harm done you will just experience a loss of duration.

A.

In response to Patmac's inquiry as to the make.

wp_20200426_11_48_01_pro.jpg

wp_20200426_11_47_52_pro.jpg

There seems to be a anomaly between the packing and the markings on the battery.

The helicopter is charged via a small AC/DC adapter, the output is 4.2v 350ma. An onboard led registers when full.

I am out of depth/knowledge when it comes to this problem. My concern is about setting fire to something as a consequence.Damaging the toy comes second. At £20, it would not be the end of the world.

Although I had not previously noticed, it is made in China, imported via Eire. Everything is CE marked. Although I do wonder is the Eire importation a lower tax route for importers.

I believe that it's a Li-Ion battery - based on recent experience renewing a dash-cam battery. Those were described HERE as both Li-Ion and LiPo - I assume that LiPo is a generic term for all Lithium based batteries?

"552030" as written on yours is the physical size = 5.5mm x 20mm x 30mm, which might help you source another one. The one in the link should therefore physically fit in your heli BUT - you need to be careful about the C rating. The one in the link is only 1C! You'll need much higher.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 26/04/2020 12:43:09

Li-Ion is a generic term for lithium ion batteries which can have a liquid or gel and LiPo is a generic term for Lithium Polymer batteries- which have a solid polymer and organic hydrocarbon based electrolyte. The Li-Ion battery most often has a hard shell a,, whilst the LipO has a soft pouch. IIRC the Li-Ion arrived first in the UK hobby industry with Perkins 700mah 2s1p and 1400mah 2s2p offerings, supplied complete with a charger, before LiPoly batteries really took off, so to speak.

Since Erfolgs charger is charging to 4.2v you can safely assume that it's a LiPo when sourcing a replacement. It certainly isn't any type of LiFe cell, such as the A123.

I am seeking opinions as to the suitability of this. The 30c appeals.

To some extent I take the view if it does not work, it is chaep enough to consign to the bin. I am guessing weight could be an issue, may be other things? Where ever I look, weight is not generally quoted. Plus at present I do not know the weight of what is in it.