Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

Thanks Paul. I have some under-used 5000mah batteries which I was hoping to put to work in the Mustang but, in spite of the extra rear-end weight that my retractable tailwheel must have added, the model is still on the nose-heavy side even with the 3300mah pack. I suspect that the (otherwise excellent) spinner assembly is a bit heavier that whatever Richard used on his prototype. Incidentally, it took me a while to come up with a permutation of spacers and washers to take up the unthreaded part of the case-mounted propshaft whilst not causing the spinner retention screw to bottom out. (That probably means absolutely nothing to anyone who hasn't come across this issue yet!)

Anyway, I'll use the smaller battery for the first flights then see whether it's worth extending the battery box back even further to accommodate the 5000s.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

Different look is fun . Nobody doing a Reno Racer I suppose ?

Variety is the spice of life !

No one is brave enough after your tirade of abuse at anyone finishing a Spitfire in pink or civilian livery. Surprised Glyn did not do one in pink to match his top.

I have an American friend ( a lovely lady called Mary Martinez ) who gets called into all sorts of companies to solve their issues as an independent consultant. 

A few years back she was called to the Harley Davidson factory in Milwaukee. They couldn't understand why they were not more popular in Europe,so they asked Mary ( who speaks fluent French and German and had spent her last fifty years working in Europe) where they were going wrong ?

She explained that they had simply not moved with the times , whereas the whole of Europe had , and that the motorcycle customer was now an entirely different kind of person outside of the USA.

On the same day that she delivered this rather subtle message , which was clearly the tip of the ice berg , one of the production line workers had the audacity to come to work in a ............

cardigan .

He was ribbed mercilessly (The cardy was also ribbed , rather than plain ) , and then had an assortment of spanners and sockets thrown at him till he fled the premises . Needless to say , the other workers were in full "ZZ Top " attire .

When she cited this example of ignorance to the management , they were entirely un moved .

That was ten years ago and they still make an 850 that shakes like nothing else and weighs 8stone more than anyone else's bike.

That's like carrying a passenger even when you're not . 

If you want to paint your Spitfire or Mustang Pink , I say , why not ?

36 minutes ago, Graham Davies 3 said:

I'm going to buy a pink cardigan...

I put on women's' clothing and hang around in bars
(He cuts down trees
He skips and jumps
He likes to press wild flowers
He puts on women's' clothing and hang around in bars?)

I wear high heels
Suspendies' and a bra
I wish I'd been a girly
And fly a pretty pink Spitfire
Just like my dear pa-pa

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All been pushing on with the build in the few spare hours I have.  

I have got the motor mount sorted thanks Richard for the cross mount.  Also cut and drilled the spinner.

Now the question  is how do I assemble it. 

I have re-read Paul's post on the subject but not sure I am any further forward.  This is what I have so far. 

Any help would be great. 

thx

20210707_212817.jpg

20210707_212803.jpg

Edited by Jonathan S

You’ll need to grind down the hex section of the prop driver and/or ream out the hole in the spinner backplate. You’ll also need to find/make a spacer to take up the unthreaded portion of the prop driver. All pretty normal aggravation when marrying together a prop, spinner and motor from different sources, I’m afraid.

On a brighter (but very serious!) note, I’m contemplating a maiden flight tomorrow! What is the consensus on the cg position on the plan (4in back from the le)? Is it:

a) on the safe side

b) spot on

or

c) go back from here at your peril!

please cast your votes.

Trevor

9D79B10C-9F08-43E6-A65B-5E6D83BBC385.jpeg

Thanks chaps. First couple of flights safely negotiated today and I’m delighted to report that the model handles very well. The recommended power setup is just about perfect. There’s enough power for loops from level flight, there was 54% left in the 4s x 3300mah LiPo after 4 minutes and the whole motor/prop/spinner setup runs very smoothly and is eerily quiet, even by electric standards.

I had the cg slightly forward of the plan position and, although I didn’t do a proper in-flight check, it was comfortable to fly and had no difficulty flaring out on landing, even with the lower rate control throws (which I recommend as a starting point).

I’ve attached a few pics (thanks Mike!) and hope that this positive experience will encourage those still in mid-build to press on to completion.

So, thanks again to Richard for the kit and for everyone on this forum for all the help and encouragement along the way.

Trevor

862E0326-CF9A-4890-8C85-990579944CE2.jpeg

6D134079-5859-4413-AA7E-E042C8195860.jpeg

40644226-93B6-41C1-8A7A-1760ADED72F1.jpeg

07EB39D6-EE8F-483C-9B9F-77F9893376E1.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jonathon, Looking at the pictures I would say NO they are not ready for joining.Glue is only used for joining material together. There is absolutely no strength in glue the way your thinking of using it. You need to look at why there is such a large gap. If it is because the ribs are set at different angles there is probably not a lot you can do.

What you may be able to do is to add a facing of balsa to the end of the rib  and carefully sand it so that the top is almost sanded away and the bottom where there was once a gap is now filled with the facing balsa. when the faces of both wings meet it can then be glued. You can either use PVA or epoxy. 

I hope that helps. If not come back on here.

• Thanks 1