Rx !!!!!!!!!!!

...or is it a general enquiry about the terminology? If so, backward compatibility means that an older receiver will still work with a newer version (or software release) of the transmitter.

Forward compatibility? Seems a slightly nebulous term but it probably refers to a manufacturer's philosophy for forthcoming products...

Looking back, Trevor has a DX7 DSM2 Transmitter

But this will not bind with NEW DSMX receivers

Though a New DSMX transmitter can sometimes bind with a DSM2 receiver.

Am second guessing the problem is something to do with this

The DX7 is compatible with DSM2

Some DX6i Tx will bind with either old DSM2 and new DSMX Receivers

Edited By Denis Watkins on 26/07/2020 12:35:32

Just check the manual of the receiver you are interested in. They are all available on the Spektrum website & you will find a compatibility paragraph such as:

'The Spektrum AR620 receiver is a full range telemetry receiver featuring DSM® technology and is compatible with all Spektrum and JR® aircraft radios that support DSM2® and DSMX® technology.'

so in this case the answer to you last question is 'yes' for this receiver (AR620)

As Denis W points out Orange and Lemon do still make (or have in stock on their web site) DSM2 compatible receivers. These will work on any DSM2 Tx or a TX with both DSM2 & DSMX.

The backward compatibility between DSMX and DSM2 is due to the capability of the TX not the DSMX protocol.

Any DSMX Tx made in the last few years will not work with a DSM2 receiver.

Posted by Steve J on 26/07/2020 16:10:45:

I just tried binding my '09 vintage DSX9 (22ms, 1024 bit DSM2) with an AR6260 bought in '14 and an AR8010T bought in '17. No problems with the 6260. After a few goes I managed to get solid orange LEDs on the 8010 and its remote, but there is no life on the outputs.

Are the servos not 11 ms Steve, it just sticks in me head that we set 11ms

re backwards compatibity dsm2 and dsmx . Reading my manual for dx6 (well it is a wet day) on page 20 under modulation quote "when dsmx is active , the transmitter operates in DMSX with DSMX receivers and DSM2 with DSM2 receivers. The transmitter automatically detects DSM2 or DSMX during binding and changes the mode automatically to match the receiver type you are using. if you select DSM2 , the transmitter operates in DSM2regardless whether it is bound to a DSm2 or DSMXreceiver"

I have never manage to bind a DSMX tranny to a DSM2 receiver , has frame rate on page 20any bearing on this?

Edited By john davidson 1 on 27/07/2020 15:47:35