Which would you choose and why?

I was about to get a Valiant 10 cc.
Then I came across this pretty semi scale Cessna 150 by Sebart.

Both around the same price, very similar size. Both trainer type high wingers but capable of aerobatics. Valiant has flaps, Cessna no flaps but leading edge slats, Cessna up to 1Kg lighter.

Have everything suitable for Valiant apart from motor. Have everything suitable for Cessna apart from servos. So would be more or less equal financially.

Now I have a dilemma.

So, if it were you, which would you choose and why?

valiant 10cc.jpg

sebart-cessna.jpg

Advert

Paved runway or grass?

Trikes, (especially typical 'thin/weak'n'wobbly ARTF u/c ones), fair better on paved or smooth surfaces.

If your field has short grass, ground is hard, then trikes can work with a little care.

Having said that, even taildragger u/c wire assemblies, as supplied in many (not all), kits can be 'wobbly' and bend in anything but the lightest arrival.

My choice as you're asking - The Sebart.

A 2 each draw at the moment and some interesting posts which I thank you for.

Peter, I prefer tail draggers too !

Colin, I have a Shark so very familiar with it's flying abilities. I also have an Angel too. The only decent video of the Cessna shows it to be equally impressive as all Sebart designs.

Capt Kremen, flying field has 2 tarmac runways so no problem.

And, finally Geoff. No I haven't made a decision yet and I really can't decide. In an ideal world I would have both in a shot but that's just not possible unfortunately.

Posted by Colin Carpenter on 08/08/2020 18:22:55:

Sebart. If it flies as well as all his other designs then it will be superb ! The Shark with slats will hover , motor off , in a12 mph wind ! Colin

Colin is correct - the Sebart range fly wonderfully as pattern aerobats and/or 3D models. They have no vices and are light/strong. Set them up with minimum throws and a less experienced pilot can fly them well - usually land slowly too if set up correctly. Out of the entire range the Wind S 50 would be my recommended favourite .

Jon

IMHO,

Location of wheels makes no difference (for you)

Not flown either so I would go with the Valiant as it has flaps that you can deploy when you want (I assume the slats are fixed) and thus extends the flight performance range (for me a bit more interesting long term).

….One question, please do let us know what you choose and why + how you get on with it. smiley

I did some empirical research of a sort this morning using the 3 models in the photo.

7 copy.jpg

Whilst not exactly scientific the result is that "The flaps have it"

Many thanks to all that contributed. Now, I'll have to sell a couple of models to fund the purchase of my new Valiant.

Unless of course, I come across something else .......................................

Edited By Steve Colman on 11/08/2020 17:05:38

Edited By Steve Colman on 11/08/2020 17:07:18