Return of the SMA

Doug Campbell

Advert

Fun Gus

Fun Gus.

My SMA type model built twenty four years ago. Fuselage is based on Peter Miller's Peanuts design. . Something of a bitsa with tail from Mercury Monarch C/L model and 42 inch wing from my second RC model of long ago.sam_1766.jpg

Has been powered by several OS 15.'s Built for rough field flying and cope with windy conditions. I made the wing seat area extra strong and the nose some what sacrificial [ It is on its third nose the rest having survived an impact with the trunk of a large tree that sent the LA 15's crank out the backplate.]

I wanted it to be as aerobatic as possible on 3ch and it will do multiple flick roll type manoeuvres [ Hairybatics I call them ] and end over end tumbles. Fun Gus is a bit more than 2lbs these days but still does its thing.

We have the ideal SMA flying field.

About 4 acres of field with a high security MOD base behind us. In front a water treatment plant and stone walls at either side approximately 120 metres apart.

Plenty to concentrate the mind when taking off / landing !

nidderdalemodelflyingclub.com

The website needs some more work !

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 24/09/2020 16:43:43:

I must be ahead of the curve for once, I bought this Ministick lazer cut kit from Kits123123 (Wayne) off Ebay a couple of weeks ago.

Bob, I did a search on that seller ID but nothing came up, could you give me a link, please?

Thanks Bert

Posted by Bert on 28/09/2020 10:02:05:
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 24/09/2020 16:43:43:

I must be ahead of the curve for once, I bought this Ministick lazer cut kit from Kits123123 (Wayne) off Ebay a couple of weeks ago.

Bob, I did a search on that seller ID but nothing came up, could you give me a link, please?

Thanks Bert

Bob / Bert, is this it? Mini Stick on Aliexpress

Not bad for £19.09 inc P&P!  Other suppliers have it at a range of prices with film and decal packs, and motor and motor/ESC + servos packs.

Is the wood used balsa ply?  The reason I ask is there seem to be a lot of places where the lightening holes result in the grain going  the wrong way.

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 28/09/2020 12:27:56

My mistype Bert, it's kits12313, here.

He doesn't hold a regular stock inventory, he looks to be running a genuine artisan cottage industry so it's a case of seeing what he has on offer at any particular time. Might be worth contacting him to see what he has available or is willing to custom make for you.

Robin, that is a different kit, only 22" with the usual fashionable excess of lightening holes against mine's 30" span and plain sheet sides.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 28/09/2020 12:43:38

Posted by Doug Campbell on 28/09/2020 12:32:39:

You would have more street cred in the SMA if you went for something like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/radio-control-model-aircraft-Little-Stik-020/293670516958?hash=item44602078de:g:cJ0AAOSw-0xYZ-RC

Smaller is better

Hmm, is that kit for a model or a lapel badge?

I've just had another look at that, I think I had one of these pre-built (RTC - ready to cover!) Sticks a couple of years ago.  If it is the one I had it is not lightly built having a 3/16" sheet box fuselage and tail surfaces.  Flies ok but would have been better if it contained less tree.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 28/09/2020 12:55:09