Super Glue Puzzle

Can any of our chemical experts among us explain what magic ingredient(s) go into expensive 'Super Glues'? I have recently been using a pound-shop variety, 3 bottles in a pack for £1 !) with equal satisfactory results. Are we just paying for a name or are there real advantages in using the expensive stuff? What does a £6 or £8 pound 'model company' bottle do that the £1 DIY (same size) one, doesn't?

Capt K,

I was told that the difference between expensive cyno and the cheap stuff is how many times it's distilled. This determines its shelf life as the more contaminants that can be removed the lower the chance of it beginning to set in the bottle.

I keep mine in the fridge to ensure a long shelf life.

A.

Edited By Andy Stephenson on 31/12/2020 12:25:33

I use the bottles of cyno from Tool Station. 1.19 for a 20g bottle of med. viscosity. 50g bottles are 2.63 Last well and works fine for all my jobs.

Flight1  you beat me to it. You type faster than me obviously

Edited By David Ovenden on 31/12/2020 14:53:40

Edited By David Ovenden on 31/12/2020 14:54:12

Edited By David Ovenden on 31/12/2020 14:54:24

Posted by David Ovenden on 31/12/2020 14:52:52:

I use the bottles of cyno from Tool Station. 1.19 for a 20g bottle of med. viscosity. 50g bottles are 2.63 Last well and works fine for all my jobs.

Flight1 you beat me to it. You type faster than me obviously

Edited By David Ovenden on 31/12/2020 14:53:40

Edited By David Ovenden on 31/12/2020 14:54:12

Edited By David Ovenden on 31/12/2020 14:54:24

ZOOOOMMMM.... and i type with one fingersmiley

• 1 month later...

The Poundland super glue is fine but just not as thin as the more expensive zap cyano for use on light weight structures. I always try to keep a pack in the glue box as a reserve. That way if it gets left for too long and goes off its no big deal. Its also ok for thinning the thick cyano when it gets too thick. I have bought some other brand cyano from LMS that was very thin soaked / wicked in very well but didn't stick ! That went straight in the bin.

If Poundland glue works for you , use it .