Buyer Beware

Richard Acland

OS 40FSRI have a passion for OS 40 FSR engines. I spend a bit of time buying and refurbing them. I recently bought a nice looking example on a well known auction site. I stripped it down and was amazed to see the state of the cylinder liner. I have rebuilt several ABC 40 FSR models, some of which had seen a lot of use and have never come across a liner that had peeled like this one. Fortunately I have some spares so it wasn't a real problem. It goes to show you never know what is lurking underneath. Another thing with this engine is the prop driver is machined opposite to all my other engines. The engine on the right is what I call normal the one on the left is different. I wonder why.

RichardOS 40 FSR drive washer

Advert

I lost patience with OS because I had stripped liners on OS46FX and OS61RF twice on each.

OS thought nickel plating would be a good replacement for chrome due to the pollution chrome plating causes but it seems they never got it quite right.

A.

Edited By Andy Stephenson on 11/01/2021 22:12:42

Edited By Andy Stephenson on 11/01/2021 22:13:20

I have spent the majority of my working life overhauling aircraft landing gear and hydraulic components. Any repairs involving plating of any kind in bores was always problematic. Difficult to jig the component to be plated and awkward to get the pre-cleaning of the area to be plated right. Chrome plate does not take to steel very well and should have an 'undercoat' of copper to aid adhesion. Nickel, if anything is worse.

I too became thoroughly disenchanted with OS engines and the "peel-o-matic" chrome plating on their liners. . The engines failed with monotonous regularity.

To be fair, it was several decades ago when their engines were going through this disastrous era, but the damage to confidence was done. . . . This was a time when I discovered superb MVVS engines, and never looked back.

We all go on about the OS quality but I have never had a liner peel on a SC/ASP etc engine , they really got that right.

Even the AAC engines from Bluebird back inc the 1980's with chrome plated aluminium cylinders never peeled and aluminium is notoriously difficult to plate successfully 

OS seem better with other parts like crankshafts etc especially on the four-strokes but the peeling cylinders really let them down .

Edited By Engine Doctor on 12/01/2021 14:25:06

Posted by Michael Kulagin on 11/01/2021 23:15:11:

I have spent the majority of my working life overhauling aircraft landing gear and hydraulic components. Any repairs involving plating of any kind in bores was always problematic. Difficult to jig the component to be plated and awkward to get the pre-cleaning of the area to be plated right. Chrome plate does not take to steel very well and should have an 'undercoat' of copper to aid adhesion. Nickel, if anything is worse.

The plating in question here is being applied to a brass liner. Hence the "ABC" term used in several posts above.

It represents "Aluminium piston running in a Brass, Chromed liner". The OS company developed or licensed (can't remember which) a proprietary Nickel based plating know as "Nikasil". However, it seemed rather more fragile when compared to a true chrome plated brass liner as used by other manufacturers.

Hi Engine Doctor and DaveyP, I followed this tutorial that I found on the internet. I have always loved diesel engines and when I got myself a lathe decided to have a go at one, found I needed to sleeve the carb down for good transition. Have also done a OS35FP for a friend and he flew his regularly until lockdown.

http://www.flyrc.com/make-your-own-diesel-conversion-head/

OS had to stop using chrome because Japanese law forbids stocking over a certain amount.

I still have a couple of 25FXs which used to get a lot of use and were regularly sent back to Ripmax for new liners, they even replaced the bearings for free and I got them back almost by return post with no charge at all. Anyone know if this service is still available because OS stated that because of the problem it would continue for the life of the rest of the engine?

I bought an OS 40 or 46 FX in the early 90's, at that time they were distributed by Irvine. It suffered from the peely liner problem so as I worked in London at the time I took it to Irvine Engines. Firstly they disputed there was a problem and claimed some foreign body must have got into the engine then they agreed to replace the piston and liner however they said the bearings were damaged and this was unrelated to the liner problem - After a long and meaningful discussion it was agreed the bearings would be replaced FOC. However due to the problem with the liners they had no spares and could not say when they were expecting any. Fortunately it was only a couple of days wait before my motor was fixed.