Great oaks ...

Geoff S

Earlier in the year during lockdown 1 we walked past an oak tree standing slightly isolated in a field. In the autumn, before everywhere got really wet again I picked up an acorn and planted it in a Christmas pudding container where I'd already sown a couple of date stones which were growing well.

It's flourished. So I transplanted it into another recycled pud basin (with a few holes drilled in the bottom for water uptake. It's growing well though I think it'll be a few years before it'll be big enough to replace any of the oak beams holding up our ceilings.

dscf0197.jpg

dscf0201.jpg

My gardener supplied the potting compounnd as I have zero growing talent - until now.

Here's the parent;

img_0195.jpg

Now where can I get some balsa seed?

Geoff

Advert

We have an oak tree in our garden. It's quite a big one, though nothing like the size of the one in your photo.

Every year it drops acorns on the lawn beneath it, but this year (well, last year really!) it produced a huge number of them, way more acorns than I've ever seen from it - and we've lived here for almost 20 years.

For the past few months almost every time I look out into the garden I've seen squirrels and pigeons (now, rather fat pigeons) on the lawn, obviously gathering up those acorns. I assume the squirrels are hiding them away somewhere, the evidence seems to suggest that the pigeons are simply eating them!

squirrelwithacorn.jpg

No balsa trees here though!

We were passing a lot of oaks on our walks and there were huge numbers of acorns. A lot more than I recall seeing before.. That's what prompted me to try planting one. Perhaps the very dry spring had something to do with it - you kow the spring with great flying weather we couldn't take advantage of.

Some of the fields we walked through were mown 3 times for hay. Unfortunately they were so-called 'improved' grass with zero flowers except for a few buttercups near the edge. There are more horses than cattle near us though sheep outnumber tham both - a lot of Jacob's.

Geoff

I think they must be. There's 100s of 'em but there are fewer now so I suppose the meat eaters are having lots of lamb chops.. Richard (who owns them) bred most of the ewes with a black ram so there were lots of coal black lambs last spring. He used to be our postman and started with them after he retired a few years back. He doesn't own the land I don't think. One of the fields is where I fly occasionally if there are no sheep as it's about a 5 minute walk from our back door.

Apparently Jacob's are good mothers and can cope with triplets.

Geoff

I am no gardener (to put it very politely) but I do have one good laugh.

Outside the back door I have three rose bushes. Occasionaly I prune them and once in a blue moon I feed them.

My next door nieghbour used to be a keen gardener. Many years ago she bought 5 rose bushes for a pound from a newspaper. She gave me one of these.

Her all died. Mine still produces a huge crop of roses every year.

My other two also produce roses every year.rose.jpeg

In my Dad's garden are a few flowers.

img_20140908_152404802.jpg

I particularly liked this one.

img_20140908_152415253 (2).jpg

Taking advice from my Dad, as he is a keen gardener I took a seed head and grew them.

This is the result.

img_20170823_074636986.jpg

I now have dozens and they self set every year but none are like the one I wanted even though that was the plant from which the seeds were taken.

I guess that proves I am not a very good gardener.

Give it a few hundred years and your sapling will match the photo of the parent Geoff. wink

Rose react well to semi neglect, I watched an experiment where a bed of roses was divided in two with one half being meticulously pruned whilst the others where just randomly butchered using a hedge trimmer, the result being that there was no noticable diffference in flowering between the two, the pruned bed looked neater but the flowers were unaffected.

Posted by EarlyBird on 01/02/2021 09:10:54:

In my Dad's garden are a few flowers.

img_20140908_152404802.jpg

I particularly liked this one.

img_20140908_152415253 (2).jpg

Taking advice from my Dad, as he is a keen gardener I took a seed head and grew them.

This is the result.

img_20170823_074636986.jpg

I now have dozens and they self set every year but none are like the one I wanted even though that was the plant from which the seeds were taken.

I guess that proves I am not a very good gardener.

If the plant is an Hybrid the seed can throw up something different, so not down to your skill maybe. wink