Laser 200 in line twin - retro fit

Ron Gray

Well - we now have a baffled engine - better than a baffled pilot, eh??

The starboard inlet has a baffle to direct air to the top (cold) side of the engine.

There is a baffle (2) to tunnel the air past the cold side. The air must then pass down through the cylinders to the exhaust side.

Then a baffle (3) is there to redirect air that has come down through the cylinders to the outside.

The exit hole in the cowl is baffled over the cold side of the cylinders to force the air down through the cylinders.

All comments (even rude ones) very much appreciated, this is new territory for me...

AWXL1.thumb.jpg.ddefa7c683796cd859fee637f321885a.jpg

AWXL2.thumb.jpg.fab29e79ac700ca6206dd72f9a7d478f.jpg

AWXL3.thumb.jpg.c55852bea2dd3050f079a39f12103b04.jpg

AWXL4.thumb.jpg.4025ad945560e903cd15c5f92372c052.jpg

AWXL5.thumb.jpg.c84b245196b13d6a724fe5652d0f1929.jpg

AWXL6.thumb.jpg.81d38e8a853b84b065d5577718820dbc.jpg

AWXL7.thumb.jpg.564b4c24a39f37c71f48179c91483315.jpgAh well - we now

Steve.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Think you need to fit some proper filters like the RC 4x4 buggy's use. 

I younger days I was a grass track racer [ not much grass about after the track had some use, just mud or dust ] One new chap joined the club with an old Ford Anglia, it would go well for the first couple of laps and then the power would drop right off and the rest of us would lap him before the race ended. In next race same again, it was was a right puzzle.

We decided to see if we could help our clubmate. On opening the bonnet the answer was there to see, his air filter was just an old sock fixed over the carb much like your little filters.  What happened was as the race progressed dust particles would cover the sock restricting the air into the engine and upsetting the mixture. As soon as he stopped the dust fell off and engine was happy again.

Not saying your motor would be so affected but the bits of cloth themselves could upset the motor.

We also had one chap who's motor ran well at the start of the season but was soon smoking badly.   We soon found the problem, I recon the inside of his motor would have been much like your 240v. His filter was just a wire mesh kitchen strainer!  The stone trap we called it!  A well designed filter will keep the crud out without quickly clogging

Cheers, John.

Back in the day I used to fit nylon stocking filters onto the bell mouths of my Bonny engines but only during dry summer runs, enough to keep the dust out. It would be really good to find some RC car air filters that would fit a Laser but unless you know the exact dimensions it's almost an impossible task. Plus then you have to think about how much they protrude from the carb as the carb intake on a Laser usually ends up close to the firewall (not so the front pot on the in-line twin!). I will probably set about designing my own and 3D printing it but for now the 'stocking' filter will do, as, unlike grass tracking there is far less muck to worry about (pits, taxi out, take off and landing) so I don't think clogging will be an issue, I'm mainly trying to keep the larger particles from being eaten.

it was at my request Ron give filters a try. The debris we are talking about is quite chunky grains of very sharp sandy material and they are not the recommended diet for anything mechanical. Also as we are trying to test this engine for reliability, external damage will not help us! 

Beyond that though i have been thinking of recommending filters for some time as the two most common types of damage we see are bearing corrosion/failure and debris ingestion. Both of these are more common than crash damage when it comes to engines on the bench for rebuild. 

The reason is simple enough. How often do we clean out the engine bays? not often i would wager, and certainly not after every nose over/trip into the weeds at the edge of the strip. All of that sort of thing accumulates dust and grit in the cowl and eventually it will find its way into the carb area. My poor Hurricane needs its face cleaned up after a belly landing last weekend. Its a chore, but i dont want to have to pay the boss for new engine parts! 

And to reiterate, our site has a tarmac / concrete pits and runway over which farm vehicles travel so there is a layer of dust and grit that is difficult to get rid of. We do have a self propelled walk behind sweeper but that only gets rid of the larger lumps of detritus and really needs to be used on an almost daily basis, which isn't going to happen!

5 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

it was at my request Ron give filters a try. The debris we are talking about is quite chunky grains of very sharp sandy material and they are not the recommended diet for anything mechanical. Also as we are trying to test this engine for reliability, external damage will not help us! 

Beyond that though i have been thinking of recommending filters for some time as the two most common types of damage we see are bearing corrosion/failure and debris ingestion. Both of these are more common than crash damage when it comes to engines on the bench for rebuild. 

The reason is simple enough. How often do we clean out the engine bays? not often i would wager, and certainly not after every nose over/trip into the weeds at the edge of the strip. All of that sort of thing accumulates dust and grit in the cowl and eventually it will find its way into the carb area. My poor Hurricane needs its face cleaned up after a belly landing last weekend. Its a chore, but i dont want to have to pay the boss for new engine parts! 

What effect will that stocking cover have on the effective air intake area and performance of the engine? Not just for this particular engine but in general?  

You need to get the inlet out side the cowl, like I did on my 26 cc Zenoah , in my cap 232. Also you can get calm air from inside the fuselage, with a tube from the carb. (petrol tho)

D.D.

Can't find the 26 but here is the 45. I know yours is Glo but the principles of cowl turbulence must be the same. ?? with out this on she would cut in a roll.

232trumpet003.thumb.jpg.5173400369cfa87b51d82b0b261d04eb.jpg

Edited by Dwain Dibley.

Yes, something like that D.D. but a couple of inlets set further back in the fuse to allow for the tube to rear facing carbs to go straight back then curve out. The one for the rear carb will have to go through the firewall and I need to make sure that both tubes are the same length. Goodness knows if it will work, I can’t really try it before cutting as the inlet to the rear carb is too close to the firewall to allow the tube to curve, so an evening of humming and haaing!

• Like 1

Ron, for interest, I had air feed problems at first, the rear carb going very rich, dragging the revs down, then rising back again, cycling over a 1½ - 2 second cycle.

This was apparently due to turbulence around the rear carb, very close to the firewall.

I gouged out a 5mm deep, 20mm wide depression in the firewall directly behind the rear cowl, and used silicon caulk to sculpt a bit of shape around the area.

The problem did not recur.

Steve.

No, it is donkey's years since I flew any aircraft without the cowl.

Most warbird and other big cowls are quite heavy, so affect the balance, and can change the aerodynamics as well as the engine performance.

I prefer to go with the cowl from the start, even though it can be a nuisance at times having to remove it to fiddle between flights!

YMMV ?

Steve

On 25/04/2021 at 18:00, Ron Gray said:

My 240v sucked up some grit and was rather expensive to fix so I don’t want it happening again!

image.jpeg.aac3960d0e52e87aaa80f8c399781d4b.jpeg
image.jpeg.6eac696bb6313e299ff160d5e15e9ab2.jpeg

I have some various grades of phosphor bronze mesh Ron,

fine and very very fine, can be cut with scissors and fit in an envelope,

which I gladly donate to your quest

just PM me as to where you want this delivered

To make filters I meant to say

Edited by Denis Watkins

I was looking at the engine bay today and noticed that it was quite possible for the crankcase oil breather pipe to get caught in the mouth of the rear carb and wondered if this was the cause of my slight irregular running. So I’ve clamped it back to the firewall and plan to take the model out again tomorrow to check it.