New site dislikes

Phil McCavity

I would 'like' your post... but... well...

I agree on the reputation thing.

Don't dislike the like button per se.

Not sure all activity is a thing I'll use either. Do we need to watch someone rearrange their photo albums in real time?

Edited by Nigel R

11 minutes ago, Nigel R said:

Not sure all activity is a thing I'll use either. Do we need to watch someone rearrange their photo albums in real time?

You have no choice when you're logged out but to use it, anyone passing by for a cursory look can see precisely who is watching, following rearranging photos or dusting the TV!

No view latest threads button.

Do not have the patience or time to go through the instructions others have pasted to create one. why not just put one on the site for everyone to use.

New look does nothing for me, everything looks to large to get on a page so you have no inclination to scroll through it all. The one thing with the old site was it was different to the others so looked better,

Liked the fact you could see most of the content on the opening page of the old site but not this one.

Just my say, but going forward we will have to live with it.

Darryl

• Like 2

All the new threads show in the unread content section do they not? 

The new GUI is..unremarkable? It wont set the world alight, but its not supposed to. It looks clean, modern, easy to read (colour contrast and the like) and completely inoffensive. The old site did look rather dated so its an improvement as far as i can see. The old site also had some scale issues on occasion so its possible your browser is set to compensate and is making the new site look odd. 

Ultimately though, if you are not prepared to help yourself by reading the instructions on how to adjust things more to your liking then i am not sure what you expect. Any new thing will always be different in its operation to an older thing and so will always take getting used to. After nearly a day of tinkering im feeling at home enough to blindly click at buttons and find what i want. 

Im also itching to try out the drag and drop picture attachment as uploading one photo for a post was a right performance before and the new setup looks easy!

• Like 2

aaarrrrggghhhhhh.  I disappear for a couple of weeks and this happens.  Unfortunately we have joined a myriad of other forums where we spend more time looking at white empty space and scrolling more.  I know I know, I need to catch up with the times and sites need to be read on all different platforms but it is always at the expense of a good old fashion view on a laptop screen!!!  Did the old site really have this much wasted space at the top of a thread?,..,....

image.thumb.png.60b32c89d89dad71fb52d0b480c7766f.png

On the other hand, thanks to Dave and others involved in running this site.  It will continue to be a success I am sure.

• Like 1

The new site definitely works better on my main PC computer than it does on my mobile devices........ which is slightly unfortunate as the new site was supposed to be more user-friendly to mobile devices. 

Navigating still feels a bit like the steering wheel isn't connected to the road wheels..... ? 

Also, some features are absent when using a mobile device.  EG: in the bottom right-hand corner where it says "Unread content" and "Mark site read".  . . The smilies work on the main computer ? ? (plus there is a lot more of them...) but they make a mobile device freeze for about 4 minutes. ☠️  Battery consumption is also high on the mobiles when navigating the new site. . Other Websites are less demanding on computing power. 

I am sure we will get used to it, but my days of casually looking in whilst the adverts are running on the TV are now over as my mobile devices (Tablet and a modern phone) are not equal to the task. 

Hey ho, that's progress. 

37 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Im also itching to try out the drag and drop picture attachment as uploading one photo for a post was a right performance before and the new setup looks easy!

That, for me is the biggest thing in the new forum's favour, although I haven't yet found a way to make some pictures private, until I decide otherwise. Yes you could say 'well don't upload them in the first place' but there are occasions when I want to upload a range of photos and then 'release' them to a thread as I go. A minor criticism.

I also agree that the space given to the ads at the top (at the moment Ninja) is far too much and I would dearly love to be able to block the ads out.

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Like 1

I think a slight adjustment of the display parameters could give a tighter display / less whitespace. This would be nice. I prefer less blank screen too.

Mobile access needs sorting. Personally I post from a PC when I'm skiving having a coffee, and a phone the rest of the time. Seems like many are also accessing from a mobile of some sort. I could force the phone to access in desktop mode...

Add the aforementioned 'latest posts' as a a default view for every user might stop the lack of it being the number one moan!

Drag and drop is a welcome step into the 21st century ?

9 minutes ago, Phil McCavity said:

Another dislike from me.

The "Leaderboard". What's the competition?

I don't know but that's exactly the direction I don't think the site should go. I liked the lack of such things on the old place. Others may disagree.

I see no option to get a reply email alert after posting or a way of looking at my recent posts.

The search feature still needs full and correct punctuation and is still case sensitive, fine if you know the exact title of a thread.

So far, I find a lot (most) of this a backward step other than if I were a youngster and could fathom it out. It is rather like a new Windows format when instead of changing things in stages they do it in a drastic way all at once.

You may be pleased to know that I doubt very much if I shall be contributing anything in the foreseeable future. 

15 minutes ago, Martin McIntosh said:

I see no option to get a reply email alert after posting or a way of looking at my recent posts.

Click on your name (top right), then Account Settings from dropdown menu, then on right side of page in 'Other settings', click on 'Notification Settings' and choose between site notifications, email or both?

Stick with it, it's a learning process for us all?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Martin McIntosh said:

The search feature still needs full and correct punctuation and is still case sensitive, fine if you know the exact title of a thread.

So far, I find a lot (most) of this a backward step other than if I were a youngster and could fathom it out. It is rather like a new Windows format when instead of changing things in stages they do it in a drastic way all at once.

You may be pleased to know that I doubt very much if I shall be contributing anything in the foreseeable future. 

Martin it's a three click process to look at your own posts but isn't too hard. (Or there's a way to make yor own link to them but I won't cover that here)

1) Click on your name to bring up your profile. 
image.thumb.png.d329318d2f02c485bf7108759da7b3a8.png

2) At the right hand side click See my activity

3)
In the left hand column click Topics (Or Images if you want to find those)

image.png

I think that just about sums up,the reason for the frustration that some members are finding, you have to go and adjust / setup quite a bit of things to get it working. I personally don’t mind this but out of all of the forums I belong to (quite a few!) this one is requiring by far the most amount of work to get it configured, it’s not very intuitive.

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Like 1