New site dislikes

Phil McCavity

5 minutes ago, Tim Ballinger said:

I actually posted yesterday that I thought the search facility was really good. I had tried a few simple searches and all seemed good. I tried searching for a specific string I knew existed in an old post of mine. I typed in “Longest scarf” and it duly returned the correct post. I should have tested further , it was not finding the exact phrase, it just so happened that was the only post where longest and scarf occurred in the same post. I can not now work out if there exists some syntax that allows an exact phrase to be matched. It looks like quoting should do the job but it doesn’t.

Hopefully this can be elaborated on in due course.

Tim

There's a choice in the dropdowns to choose between "all" of my search term words or "any" of my search term words. Of course "all" still doesn't need to find them in the correct order or even together. So, try putting your search phrase within inverted commas. e.g. "longest scarf"

3 minutes ago, Mike Blandford said:

Ace: When needing a new line, hold the shift key down while hitting return.
Then you get single line spacing.

Mike

Thanks Mike
Yep that works. I am no IT wizard and shouldn't need to know a technique to save space. Double space double return much simpler?

Appreciate any ideas on how to reduce the pictures from filling my screen - well the bit that's not a border? 
Thanks.

Chris tried all that and it does not make any difference. HOWEVER...

When I tried yesterday and thought it worked I was on my  iMac. Just gone back to my iMac and tried again. It works perfectly . You can search for any exact string by using quotes as indicated in the search dialogue and per most normal search engines. Same search on my iPad and it does not work. I actually tried the BARCS site as well which uses the same software. Same result. Works on my iMac but not my iPad.

Conclusion : There is a platform specific gremlin in the search software that is not specific to this instance of the new software.

Hope that is some use to someone.

Tim

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chris Bott - Moderator said:

Ace, have a look at the sandbox Gary has done some very interesting picture size tests posting the same photo in many different sizes.

Chris, as I understand it that may work if I were posting. However every existing and probably most future pictures will be 1/2 screen unless the software can reduce/thumbnail with click enlargement?

I know and understand. I hate my android phone...too many stupid symbols?

I think we should just keep going. There are plenty of helpers out there who have worked something out by accident. Spreading the word should make it easier for all.

Edited by cymaz
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Ace said:

I am no IT wizard and shouldn't need to know a technique to save space. Double space double return much simpler?

I concur. The old forum's double paragraph break with one press of the return key wound me up as well, surely most people are used to using a word processor and in the interests of intuitive usage these techniques would be useful.

I have now spent many hours trying to get my head round how to use the site and I am beginning to make friends with it but it took far too long. I think that without the help forums I would have struggled badly. This tells me it is not very intuitive. My thoughts are:-

1. The image uploading is infinitely better and more flexible.
  2. The site is much better on mobiles tablets and different sizes of device.
  3. I mourn the loss of albums and forums which you follow. I am finding it very time consuming to follow a lot of forums which were on my bookmarks list on the old site. If they are my forums they are easily identified through the Profile page, but not other people's forums.
  4. The notifications are much better, and a big improvement over just email.
  5. It is regrettable that the image moving and amendment function is still not working when I last looked. I have 59 pages of photographs and trying to find what I want, say for an article will be an absolute nightmare. I intentionally did not keep my photos on my phone because it runs out of memory too quickly, so just keep them on the site. I just used camera to upload to the site which function is thankfully preserved.
  6. I am finding it difficult to find the forums I used to follow because that has all disappeared. They are all in one big long list and the only way to find them (I think) is to scroll down. Am I doing something wrong?
  7. I think the navigation through your profile and then selecting an activity button and then choosing images is convoluted and could be a lot more intuitive/easier. There should be a menu option under Gallery to choose your own images. That would make far more sense navigation structure wise. This is where I first went but reached a dead end.

3 hours ago, EarlyBird said:

After a bit more thought.

Probably a Custom Activity Stream will suit.

This is in My Activity Streams.

Select Create New Stream.

The selection below will list all topics that you have posted in and only content you follow, just as an example. 

image.thumb.png.a9c01c34411521395a2e2346e49237f5.png

Very helpful thank you.

I have one complaint.

On the old site there was a "thing" on the top of the page marked "My Posts" so that if I wanted to add something to a post I had previously written, I simply had to click on it and the thread would come up.

A few days ago someone wanted suggestions for models which could be powered by his SC 20. I suggested some for his consideration but can I find it now? No I can't.

On the new site there is something called "My Activity Streams" which I would have thought would have lead me to my previous posts but when I click on it I am baffled by a lot of jargon which I don't understand.

So please Mr Moderator, one question for you. "How do I recover my previous posts without having to scroll through several days worth of "Latest Posts?"

Apologies for not knowing the correct name for the "thing," I hate computers, they never seem to work properly for me and I dislike jargon generally.

On 11/02/2021 at 21:33, Ron Gray said:

Been mentioned by others but should we really be able to see when members upload photos to their own albums, that's not for general consumption and should be 'private'.

I would agree as one maybe uploading pictures to a album in preparation for a build log and seeing the pictures before hand would be like letting the cat out of the bag.

Steve

I thought a bit about this when it was first raised but decided I did not feel strongly enough either way. 
However, I think there is a point to be made that as soon as you post either words or pictures to a forum like this then actually should you really have any expectation of privacy. It is not as if it is a private data store; it is a public domain. Certainly to be protected in so much as no one else can edit content . That’s certainly the way I use/view the forum.

I see Steve’s point but not sure too many folks would orchestrate their content in such a way. I know I don’t and the new found ability to upload direct to a blog probably does all I need as it misses out the uploading to the album loop.

No big issue for me either way just thought that the alternative thought should be out there.

Tim

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tim Ballinger said:

I thought a bit about this when it was first raised but decided I did not feel strongly enough either way. 
However, I think there is a point to be madea store; it is a public domain. Certainly to be protected in so much as no one else can edit content . That’s content in such a way. I know’t and the new found abilita blog probably does all I need as it misses out the uploading to the album loop.

A big issue for me either way just thought that the alternative thought should be out there.

Fish Trousers Elephant. 

Tim

Unfortunately, our content can be edited when quoted, as above.

For the record,apart from that, I totally agree with your post Tim.

D.D.

I think the point being made is that the old forum didn't display what you was doing with your images in real time on an open activity log which was viewable by non members, you had to log in then go to albums to view any new uploads. As it is now a member could upload a few images which include their wife, young son or daughter and decide later that they'd rather not have them showing on the net with the risk of being lifted and added to some deviants "Private" gallery to be shared amongst their sickening and illegal groups. Taking away those extra steps increases that risk.

I'm acutely conscious of this and take obsessive care if uploading images to anywhere on the net.

Wayne, never occurred to me you could edit a quote. You certainly managed to turn my words into amusing gobbledegook without much hassle ! ?
Not sure there would be an easy fix for that so I think you just have to trust forum members or loose the ability to quote. Think I would go with trust on that one. ?

Tim