DB Sport and Scale Auster J1 Autocrat

Danny Fenton

33 minutes ago, cymaz said:

Of course you’ll fit a beer glass in his right hand?

LOL

Fighter jocks will fly with their right hand on the stick, left hand on the throttle as this guy is. However the Auster and many side-by-side aircraft are flown with the stick in the left and the throttle in the right, the throttle being central in the panel so both seats can reach if needed. So a bit of a control column will be in his grasp. They are very nice figures, and being scalable I am sure will be the source for my future models ?

I have always tried to hunch my pilots forwards, much more realistic, a rigid pilot is a pet hate for my friend Andy Sephton, who has often been that hunched forward pilot in reference pics from Old warden.

Cheers

Danny

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
57 minutes ago, Chris Stevenson said:

Welcome back Danny, you have been sorely missed! Really looking forward to the maiden of your Auster. Mine still hangs from my garage roof waiting, after I completed it 15 months ago. I think it will be next year before it reaches the field now as I am a warm weather flyer only!

I am with you on that Chris, i not keen on the cold either.

Thanks for the welcome back, i am looking forward to doing some detail to get me back in the swing

Cheers

Danny

23 minutes ago, Basil said:

Hi Danny, Hope you enjoyed Italy.Missed this build ,when are we going to see some pics on the construction.

Bas

Italy was hard work, Bologna beautiful place but at times 40 degrees was a bit much, though in fairness I did acclimatise.

Not sure what you mean by build pics Bas, I have been posting the build pics? 

Most of the covering is now done, and I think I have found the best way to use this polyester "DiaTex" I think balsaloc is the easiest way, then dope it all down around the edges before using heat to shrink it. I have increased the temp to 140 degrees for shrinking.

Anyway I have covered the wings over a week's hols ?

Cheers

Danny 

336.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Maurice Dyer said:

Hi, I have just inherited an Auster. No plans or instructions but a completed model. I will post a couple of questions if that's alright ?.

Maury

Of course ask away!

The instructions are available to download from the DB Sport & Scale website, if that helps?

Cheers

Danny

Spent some time making the instrument faces. I have used commercial dials before but the price has increased, and the quality dropped dramatically, add to that the shipping costs to the UK. I will do my own.

I was a bit rusty with Illustrator but got back into the groove, and actually picked up some new tricks.

353.thumb.JPG.3b58370c30c9bd47e4a59631565f6390.JPG

1402757.thumb.jpg.afac8e912978fff49a75cb76c603cf41.jpg

And the panel I am aiming to recreate

Cheers

Danny

• Like 2

Danny  at al.

thanks for the help offer. I need to make new jury struts, I don't have them. The struts between the wing and the main struts. I don't know what they are  made of or how they are made.

Also, the wing retention: the end ribs have holes and some sort of retainer tab in the wings (?). The fuse has two piano wire s exiting the cabin. I presume that works but ???.

I will post pictures, thanks for the he lp.

Maurice

359.thumb.jpg.4ea63b797f5914c584b59aadb5545f73.jpg

360.thumb.jpg.f18ca85f88e8e84a6b8bce5001139eb8.jpg

361.thumb.jpg.baf03e1638c1884b34132203c93340c5.jpg

The piano wire studs from the fuselage centre section pass through sprung steel plates bolted to R1

The wings should slide on, and to remove bend the steel tabs to release them.

I didn't like this and when I tried to remove the wings they refused to release, so I removed the steel plates and made some clamps.

362.thumb.jpg.55d46126f2178db9dd8d23c14e986f30.jpg

Cheers

Danny

On 16/10/2021 at 16:50, Maurice Dyer said:

Thanks Danny, I shall download the instructions from DB sport. Hopefully it will have movements and cg. That piano wire wing retainer thing looks iffy to me, but I presume it is safe. ??.

Maurice

Yes it seems to have been used by many modellers, must just me that couldn't get it to release reliably...

046.thumb.JPG.cd49c143123633a5ec1f0fff614be439.JPG

Cheers

Danny

• 4 weeks later...

Hi chaps, need a bit of advice from you petrol heads. sorry, I cannot recall who advised me on making my own scale exhaust.

Just engines do a Saito exhaust extension flexi pipe with the 12mm x 1mm end fittings for £29 Mick Reeves does the flexi pipe but without the end fittings, is £29 a good price?

I will probably buy a 120mm extension and cut the pipe and attach it (silver solder) to some blanked copper pipe as a manifold, with 4 smaller exit pipes silver soldered to the manifold, if that makes sense?

Cheers

Danny