DB Sport and Scale Auster J1 Autocrat

Danny Fenton

What I did was check the cockpit width was 1/5 which it is, (170mm internal) then divided the width in half, Chris printed a pilot to fit that width, so the two occupants would just touch shoulders. But at that size, the figure is way too small.

Trouble is these prints take many many hours to print.

I am sure we will get there.

Cheers

Danny

13 hours ago, Danny Fenton said:

Thanks Colin, that's the sort of info I need. Unfortunately the STL file gives multipliers for the scale you need. This should be 1/5th But it clearly is too big.

Cheers

Danny

I had a similar problem with one of Max’s pilots, when I printed it using his rescaling figures it came out too big. Using my slicing software I am able to adjust, by % or measurement, each of the XYZ axis which is what I did to get the correct, for me, size. I know that I also used different scaling for the body to that for the head!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dwain Dibley. said:

small.836414.jpg.1b8a42f2fada29305c30a60

Dwain, that looks like some kind of tape that is used at the junction of the canopy 'Glass' and the fuse. can you please enlighten me .Added after painting/covering. Do you leave it as it is? Or paint it. Thanks.

Bas

Interested in you comments on the metal coatings Danny. 
I will have the cowl of my Fury to cover in some aluminium type foil and spoke to Phil about Flite Metal. He told me that it isn’t that good at being worked around compound curves. So I contacted Jim Reeves and enquired about their Metalcoat. He told me it can be worked fairly easily around gentle compound curves as per the Fury cowl. How strong is the adhesive? 

image.jpeg

That looks great Danny. Think I will get some Metalcoat for the Fury cowl having seen how you sanded down the joins. Some  v cuts to help bring it in and around could work nicely. Flite metal looks good but the cost of shipping small items from the States is horrible. I contacted VicRC who makes a nice grp canopy frame for my Fury. Frame $37 shipping $57 ?. Pity but will have to make my own.

3 minutes ago, Nick Somerville said:

That looks great Danny. Think I will get some Metalcoat for the Fury cowl having seen how you sanded down the joins. Some  v cuts to help bring it in and around could work nicely. Flite metal looks good but the cost of shipping small items from the States is horrible. I contacted VicRC who makes a nice grp canopy frame for my Fury. Frame $37 shipping $57 ?. Pity but will have to make my own.

I bought a full spitty cockpit kit from Vic and as you say the shipping was lots more than the parts ?

Edited by Danny Fenton

31 minutes ago, cymaz said:

I’ve used THIS firm. Excellent stuff

I used them before they were called that ?

The 3d printed stuff I got from Chad before 3d became a "thing" got to be 12 years ago, cost a fortune + shipping!

I know Phil Clark was having words with Ed, but don't think it came to anything.

Almost worth a trip to the States just to get "stuff"

Cheers

Danny

Cymaz I think postage and tax are the same no matter who sends it, though I might be mistaken.....

Friend Chris printed another pilot for me over the last few days, this time we used Ron's suggestion of altering x,y,z in different amounts.

If you look at the pilot as drawn he is built like a Russian weightlifter.

So we took the 1/6 figure and stretched him in x and y (I think it was) by 117 percent, but left the width z at 100 percent.

This produced a much leaner chappie. We miscalculated the amount of back side to lose, so he needs to be lowered in the seat a little, but otherwise he is good to go I reckon ?

323.thumb.jpg.301bc42f3dba217734536195a7e410d5.jpg

324.thumb.jpg.e1e7d325c00422c9afce25f15a2447ab.jpg

Thanks Chris and Ron, we got there in the end.

This is possibly the last post until Autumn, as work has me in Italy for a while.

Keep the faith and see you soon.

Cheers

Danny

Edited by Danny Fenton
  • Like 5