Hobbyking covering film

I bought a roll of transparent red covering film from Hobbyking. Excellent price and all reviews I’ve seen have been pretty good. However I am struggling to get the backing film off. There is no overlap and have spent 20 minutes so far and getting very frustrated. Used a scalpel, pin, small file to fry ans get some grip. Does anyone have any secret tips. 
thanks

Martin

I use their coverings including the transparent ones, currently covering my Leprechaun XL with the ‘purple’ one. I use the point of a scalpel at one corner of the film, stick the point through the backing then rotate the blade which pulls it off, works every time. Tried other methods including pins and sticky tape but all failed on the transparent film.

Be careful when applying the film as it really does shrink, a lot, and can bend and twist balsa frames. I use a lot lower temperature than I do for their solid films, just over 100 degrees and spend more time slowly get rid of the wrinkles.

When I covered the rudder on the Leprechaun it ended up looking like a crisp, re-did it twice, each time lowering the temperature until it stayed straight.

At the other end of the spectrum it will take 150 degrees without melting, so a bit like lam film.

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Like 1

A bit of masking tape on either side of a corner, then peel apart always works for me, although sometimes you have to have a couple of tries.

Interestingly (well I think it is) I've recently been re-covering my Gangster 63 Lite with some film which I've had for two or three years and it's MUCH easier to separate - the cut edge always seems to have a couple of 'pockets' which let you get  a scalpel blade in. Sorry that doesn't help in this case, though.? 

Kim

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Kim Taylor said:

A bit of masking tape on either side of a corner, then peel apart always works for me, although sometimes you have to have a couple of tries.

Interestingly (well I think it is) I've recently been re-covering my Gangster 63 Lite with some film which I've had for two or three years and it's MUCH easier to separate - the cut edge always seems to have a couple of 'pockets' which let you get  a scalpel blade in. Sorry that doesn't help in this case, though.? 

Kim

I have found that solid film is OK using this method but not the transparent stuff!

Now, I use the term surely, with trepidation.

But, if you apply tape, to both faces, if necessary, with increasingly sticky tapes, it will part. 
Given the cost, if you loose a corner, an inch, of tape?
This game involves expensive motivation units, electronics, batteries, ad infinitum, hitting the ground.

The above advice does not apply to prospective brain surgeons, Keep practicing with that blade people..

I have been using Hobbyking film for a while now and never had a problem removing the backing, solarfilm was always a problem for me that and the price led me to hobbyking. When I had my first of many rolls of hobbyking film (solid colours only) I started using a disc cutter rather than scissors and I am wondering if this I why I have escaped the backing problem may be the disc helps separate the film as it cuts can't think of any other reason.

Paul.

9 hours ago, Martin Levy said:

I bought a roll of transparent red covering film from Hobbyking. Excellent price and all reviews I’ve seen have been pretty good. However I am struggling to get the backing film off. There is no overlap and have spent 20 minutes so far and getting very frustrated. Used a scalpel, pin, small file to fry ans get some grip. Does anyone have any secret tips. 
thanks

Martin

Very fine T pin under a corner works for me, but I  agree that it can be tricky.

1 hour ago, Don Fry said:

Pushing here, is anyone seriously telling me, tape, both faces, will not part a film from its backing.

Depends on the tape being used! As I said above, using reinforced tape works but only because it is really sticky, masking taper, insulating tape, Sellotape don't work, they peel off the backing before it peels off the film! For me, like others, it is far easier to use the point of the scalpel, near a corner as that works every time.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comment about the excessive shrinking/tightening properties of the transparent film Ron. I have been given an old partially completed DB Richthofen kit which I am going to finish and was thinking the open framework would look good in transparent red. I was disappointed that Hobbyking have sold out at the moment but I think I will be happier to stay with the solid red now. The wings are open frame work with no full depth spar or leading edge sheeting to form a D tube so they would warp pretty easily.

Hobbyking covering seems to sell out in about five minutes... always on back order. Need to be pretty quick when the email arrives telling you it is in stock.

I get the feeling there are a few folks buying bulk quantities as soon as it arrives in HK and then reselling over fleabay.

Edited by Nigel R

7 hours ago, Nigel Grant 1 said:

Thanks for the comment about the excessive shrinking/tightening properties of the transparent film Ron. I have been given an old partially completed DB Richthofen kit which I am going to finish and was thinking the open framework would look good in transparent red. I was disappointed that Hobbyking have sold out at the moment but I think I will be happier to stay with the solid red now. The wings are open frame work with no full depth spar or leading edge sheeting to form a D tube so they would warp pretty easily.

Just apply it with a low temp on the iron and you'll be OK.

1 hour ago, David Ovenden said:

I tried multiple times with tape and it just didn't separate the backing film at all. Scalpel blade was the only thing that worked for me. 

I quite often use a pin to scratch the backing film to lift it or just a scalpel on the edge

• Like 1