Farewell to the 'Nats?

Given the MOD refusal to permit the Nationals permission to run at BH this year, does this herald the end of the Nats as we know it? 

We know the MOD can be very risk averse and it seems that is likely to continue for as long as C19 remains an issue (to whatever extent), bearing in mind that it is highly unlikely to disappear completely. 

Perhaps it is time to take our leave of the MOD and find an alternative venue/s where we the BMFA might be able to make its own decisions?

I can, sadly, foresee the Nats being split into smaller discipline specific events with little value to the spectator or trade stands etc. 

Am I being unnecessarily pessimistic? 

Edited by Matt Carlton

Advert

17 minutes ago, Lima Hotel Foxtrot said:

If only there was some sort of purpose built BMFA centre where national flying events could take place.

I've visited and flown at Buckminster as well as camped there and it's a great venue but it's nowhere near capable of hosting an event like the Nats as we've known them at Barkston Heath.  Individual events would work well but certainly not ones that would attract a big trade presence;  Buckminster is simply not big enough and unless members are prepared to support financially a huge facility never likely to be.  We need the support of the RAF or the Nats won't happen.  Hopefully, 2022 we see their return.

Geoff

• Like 1

I think the relevant part there is "...as we've known them..." Things have changed, and maybe national-level competitions and events need to change to ease their likelyhood of going ahead. A big trade presence would not be needed at the NFC as it has been paid for (as far as I know); there are fewer overheads for the organisers to cover by getting income from the traders.

Edited by Lima Hotel Foxtrot
  • Like 3

While I agree that many things will change in the coming months/years, for me the traders are a large part of the incentive to attend the NATS and, certainly, seeing all the diverse branches of the hobby in one place is a huge attraction (I need my annual fix of the C/L Team Race circle) and, as much as I applaud the NFC, I don't think it could ever be a substitute for somewhere like Barkston Heath.

David

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lima Hotel Foxtrot said:

I think the relevant part there is "...as we've known them..." Things have changed, and maybe national-level competitions and events need to change to ease their likelyhood of going ahead. A big trade presence would not be needed at the NFC as it has been paid for (as far as I know); there are fewer overheads for the organisers to cover by getting income from the traders.

LHF - Buckminster has not been paid for, it is leased for 30+ years.  There is an annual rental payment that has to be found by charging for the use of the facility either by model flying or other events.  Leasing somewhere the size of Barkston Heath would be prohibitive as it would only be fully utilised once per year.  So, I hope that next year it will be back to normal with the RAF feeling able to allow the BMFA to use Barkston for the Nats.

I've not been to the nats since 2005 so I won't either miss it or wring my hands over it, MOG that I am.

If the FF one is on I'll make the trip up.

I suspect that the relative ease with which we can obtain hard to come by items cancels out the need to make the trip to buy (or over buy) the supplies we think we need.

I'll miss the bring and buy but it's a hell of a way to go just for that.

• Like 2

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I think that the Nats lost something when the airshow line stopped 'showcasing' the kind of model that 90% of us fly, and which you could buy at a discount from the trade stands. 

I get the airshow, and its brilliant, but what is displayed is a different world of the hobby than I inhabit. 

I mostly went to the Nats for Scale, FF and the camaraderie of being in a crowd of like minded folk. 

• Like 1

On 11/05/2021 at 19:02, Matt Carlton said:

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I think that the Nats lost something when the airshow line stopped 'showcasing' the kind of model that 90% of us fly, and which you could buy at a discount from the trade stands. 

I get the airshow, and its brilliant, but what is displayed is a different world of the hobby than I inhabit. 

I mostly went to the Nats for Scale, FF and the camaraderie of being in a crowd of like minded folk. 

Things change and depending on one's point of view, not always for the better. A big spoiler for me is the loss of the indoor flying in the hangar, but it is what it is. I'm sure those that organise the Nats and liaise with the MOD on our behalf will do their best to have it continue, but I think we should be prepared for changes and a different offering in the coming years. Just speculation, but  perhaps a move away from the competitive aspect in the future and more of the airshow spectacular and festival side of things. Probably not so attractive to those more set in their ways but something that might be of interest to others. I'd be happy to support smaller meetings that follow a theme that interests me on the lines of the meetings at Bucky and Old Warden.  I'm just grateful that I witnessed the Nats and other huge model shows such as Sandown in their heyday-  similar feeling about large full size airshows that have undergone their own transformation and now face a number of problems because of increasing costs and safety concerns even before Covid.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

I suspect some shows will remain and maybe comps will be split into their various disciplines and held at assorted venues and dates giving their followers an opportunity to continue. That said when the disciplines are mixed and held together it presents people to see what others do and gives the potential for them to question the 'experts' before maybe commiting themselves to a new type of flying.

I have always thought that Manston aerodrome would make a good venue, downside being its location.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/05/2021 at 19:02, Matt Carlton said:

I couldn't agree more. All very nice seeing the big models and jets etc but models available for the average modeller that he/she can fly at their club being showcased is , I feel sadly missed . When this type of showcasing stopped in favour of the cheque book type modelling the cottage industries who produced many excellent kits died off. 

I flew at the Paddock Wood show for many years giving the youngsters( tomorrow's modellers) a taste of rc flying. They loved it . When the show moved to Headcorn aerodrome  the new organisers were not interested in the have ago slot ,usually run in the flyers lunch break. The show took a big hit IMO. All I hear colleagues and friends say about the show it jets , jets and more jets. Organisers  of   shows should take a long hard look at their program and cater for all tastes and not just their favorite discipline as it has killed off the shows that us modeller loved to attend.

• Like 3

Personally, I would rather watch a selection of demonstration slots of 'normal' models with some commentary/Q&A over the PA. Think of all the kit manufacturers and distributors who could use a big showcase for their products rather than, dare I say, the showline being dominated by the same few people every year.

Imagine what a few 30 minute slots would do for any of the companies in the 'british kit manufacturers' thread, especially if the BMFA got on board with technology and live streamed the event on Instagram or YouTube, and made those clips available for kit manufacturers to embed on their websites. 

Have a go slots with buddy boxes? 

A return to indoor flying, especially the BMFA Dart building tables etc? 

A Raffle? 

Toffee Bomber? 

Some interpretative material at each 'event' like a sign board describing each event?

Live drone aerial footage? 

A club level 'bring and fly' competition, judged like aerobatics but for artistry rather than precision and a concours static element? 

If we are serious about promoting our hobby, we need to make that promotion relevant to the club flyer and particularly the novice. 

• Like 1

Matt, I dont think you are wrong. When Woodvale was going ( and i mean at Woodvale) the flying was dominated by the big names and the kit manufacturers had been more or less banned from flying. I am unable to get to what shows still exist due to living abroad but still like to keep up to date.

the nationals is suffering like most things at the minute due to the CV-19,but all been well i imagine it will re-surface in due course(i hope) anyway...will it be the same,i doubt it as during the course of CV-19 i think a lot of peoples habits and way of life have changed and i doubt they will go back to what we had previous.

as to the shows,they went from been a showcase/meet up of of hobbyists to large commercial(ker-ching) affairs..with models been flown which mere mortals could never aspire to or afford.......all well and good watching someone flying the "nearly full size" model under radio control but a lot of people want to also see something they can afford and master themselves.

and of course costs come into shows now.....cost of fuel to get there and entrance fee's and dosh for some food.....bacon sandwiches at caviar prices....

ken anderson...ne..1...my view dept.

• Like 2

I think my favourite show, or one of them, was when the Sandown Park expo was on. A nice mix of flying slots, a good trade presence and a really good atmosphere. 

The Nats round about 1990-1995 seemed to be a bit of a golden time in my memory. 

I just think that there is a danger of the general club flyer being a bit isolated. There's a wonderful sense of camaraderie watching a demo slot and everyone wincing at the same time, being able to be a 'plane nerd' openly and talk about the hobby without the blank faces one normally gets! 

That seems more vital to the hobby than watching the BMFA's favoured few flying 75% scale jets around at 300mph.

• Like 1