Triangular stock balsa

barryt

Advert

3 hours ago, Matt Carlton said:

"A far, far greater chance of that for lots of people than just popping to their nearest model shop for that piece of triangular stock" 

Then wonder why the nearest model shop closes down?

Now, if the nearest model shop grabbed the idea and bought a 3D printer, customers could email print files to them and pay to have them printed. A whole world opens up for aftermarket details and parts for existing kits in the same vein as in static modelling.

Control horns, hinges, wheel hubs, instrument panels, servo mounts, switch mounts, wing bolts, spats, dowels etc etc. 

With 3D scanning, old, out of production spares can be reproduced. Plugs for moulding other parts etc.

Please do not use 3D printed control horns, hinges, servo mounts etc..... 3D printed parts do not possess the same strength as injection moulded plastics.  3D printing opens up a whole new sphere for making stuff.... but it does have its limitations.   Wing bolts.....  eek!

48 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

No model shop ever closed because folks were not buying the occasional length of triangular balsa stock. Nor due to the invention and use of 3D printers.

True, my comment was a bit tongue in cheek and aimed rather at the naysayers. That probably didn't come across well. Apologies. 

Also, 

In relation to the strength of 3D printed items, I wasn't aware that the strength was insufficient, that is interesting, thank you. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Strength of 3D parts will also depend on the material being used.

....and the temperature....and the moisture content.......and the layer height........and the printing speed....  My point is I wouldn't trust a 3D printed part in an important  structural role....Too many variables and an unforgiving application, but hey...... it's your model! ?

Alternative blade Gary, plain single or double sided (razor) type can be better on thinner sections. 

You may find that the rear guide dies are not necessary, give it a try and bin them if not.

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

I’ll run another couple off tonight Ken, £4.20 inc P&P. 

if anyone is setting up to print some off and sell them,add me to your customer list please.....

ken anderson...ne..1..3D stripper.

morning Ron,i've sent off a pm to you,thank you.

ken anderson....ne..1...stripper dept.

I received my cutter from Ron ( thanks Ron )  and it has changed my mind about the practicality of 3D printing!   Very accurately made which surprised me with the fit and finish.    One thing which I suppose everyone would encounter - what size nut and bolt is it made for?   M3.5 seems just a fraction tight ( no problem to ream it out a bit of course )while M3 is OK but  a loose fit.   So I guess the original design used some other thread - maybe 5BA?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes..well done Ron. Really nice to see when people take on a chore for others with no reward, it almost restores my faith in humanity.... almost!

As a note on the side you really don't need to print all the clamp pieces, you just need the one with the Stanley blade recess, it can be turned over and swapped side to side to clamp an old fashioned razor blade... now if I could only work out how to make a leading and trailing edge stripper....... ?

• Like 1