Triangular stock balsa

barryt

Advert

35 minutes ago, kc said:

--but using the hands and brain seems better to me.

Don't want to stray off topic but gee, I thought I had used my brain!

I asked the forum for advice and quickly received it. Thank you very much. I can now go back to building my home made (not ARTF) balsa planes with better quality and cheaper triangular stock fillets, made without any waste. That's a result. I appreciate I don't live in the UK, but the cost was less than 2GBP. Should I own up to using 3D printed pilots too? 

As much as I enjoy using tissue and dope, I also use the other modern developments commonly found in our hobby. And of course, so does everyone else. So why should 3D printed accessories, and in this case tools, be frowned upon?

1 hour ago, kc said:

10A scalpel blades and PVA !

Of course I could take full advantage of modern technology and get my credit card out and have a plane completely built ready to fly and delivered by the postman --but using the hands and brain seems better to me.

Designing interior detail for my Tempest's cockpit and printing it out did much the same for me though.  Plenty of hands on fettling once the basic prints were done.  Used sympathetically, doesn't it just add another facet to aeromodelling?

t725.png?rev=1576346459253000000&s=&v=1

...and the landing light?

...again, plenty of measuring, designing, fitting and head-scratching along the way to design a mechanism that would fit inside the wing.

(bit of woodwork involved too!)

Edited by Martin Harris - Moderator
Added video
  • Like 3

I find that almost every time I want to use triangular strip it doesn't have to be all that accurate. With this in mind & set my bandsaw table to 45 degrees, cut the first strip from the required thickness sheet then the second strip is cut using a (fixed 90 degree) Proxon table saw & repeat for the desired number of strips. Quick, with acceptable results for most purposes.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, kc said:

........    I hate to plagerise someone else's designs ..........

Don't worry about that!   as soon as you post it up on thingiverse it becomes public domain (with their usual license). I re-mixed it from someone else's design - I can't find that design now so unfortunately cannot credit them. 

Wow Ron.... you used the new remix too!  I hope they are OK ?.. There is no place to store the second set of dies for the rear guide - if you find you don't need the rear dies just throw them away.

Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

This is a human-readable summary of (and not a substitute for) the license. Disclaimer.

You are free to:

• Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
  • Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
  • for any purpose, even commercially.
  •  
This license is acceptable for Free Cultural Works.
  •  
  • The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

Edited by FlyinFlynn
To add comment from a later post

Yep, decided to give it a go and it works well. Only thing is the rear guides are a tight fit in the holder so will have to give them a once over with the sanding block. My own print that I did of the original design doesn't have the rear guides so not sure if they help but am including them anyway!

I had a look and, taking the risk of complicating things, the Mk1 version without the second guide can accommodate a slight angling of the Stanley blade - although you could just use the plain holders and rest the blade at an angle against the securing screws.... anyhow.. I have added the holders to the download  here . The MK1 is without the second guide and the MK2 is the one Ron has printed with the second guide.

For anyone toying with the idea of getting a 3D printer I can only ask how have you made it this far without one?  By being a modeller you are, by definition, a maker ... So many things to make.

No... that isn't me.

angled holders.jpg

tools.jpg

737diysim.jpg

Great update @FlyinFlynn, I will add to the file! (I'm working at the moment, on line training for 6 customers, so I keep getting distracted by things like you post coming through!)

I bought my 3D printer a couple of years ago and don't know how I managed before! I'm no expert but must have printed literally hundreds of things with it and not just for modelling, my son's father in law needed a special clip for his conservatory blinds which are no longer made, my son in law lost the bottom bracket plugs for his expensive road 'bike, an Ender Dragon for my grandson who has designed his own Minecraft board game, and so it goes on and on. Absolutely brilliant!

If it was just for producing the tools to cut the balsa the, yes, I would agree, although the software costs nothing and the gaining knowledge is good fun! But of course its not just for that, at the moment I'm designing and then will be printing the MG81Z machine guns for my BF110, a couple of lengths of dowel could have been used but I prefer the 3D printed versions. Likewise the gunsights and dashboards I've printed, could have been done with bits of balsa and foam but would I have got the same results?

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Martin McIntosh said:

Given that you need to buy a 3D printer, the appropriate s/w and need to gain the knowledge to use it, would it not be rather simpler and cheaper to just go and buy the stock off the shelf?

That given is far from universal and you don;y have to have a 3D printer, you just need to have a pal who does. A far, far greater chance of that for lots of people than just popping to their nearest model shop for that piece of triangular stock.

Thanks to the guys who have provided the 3D printer files to help everyone out. ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martin McIntosh said:

Given that you need to buy a 3D printer, the appropriate s/w and need to gain the knowledge to use it, would it not be rather simpler and cheaper to just go and buy the stock off the shelf?

ARTF's can be (used to be) cheaper than scratch built models, but people still build them. Why? Because it's their hobby and they get enjoyment out of it. Same could be applied to buying a 3D printer.

You can buy music off the shelf, so why do people learn to play an instrument?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

If it was just for producing the tools to cut the balsa the, yes, I would agree, although the software costs nothing and the gaining knowledge is good fun! But of course its not just for that, at the moment I'm designing and then will be printing the MG81Z machine guns for my BF110, a couple of lengths of dowel could have been used but I prefer the 3D printed versions. Likewise the gunsights and dashboards I've printed, could have been done with bits of balsa and foam but would I have got the same results?

You are convincing me to get one too Ron.. It adds another dimension to the hobby..

• Like 1

On 24/05/2021 at 17:13, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Designing interior detail for my Tempest's cockpit and printing it out did much the same for me though.  Plenty of hands on fettling once the basic prints were done.  Used sympathetically, doesn't it just add another facet to aeromodelling?

t725.png?rev=1576346459253000000&s=&v=1

...and the landing light?

...again, plenty of measuring, designing, fitting and head-scratching along the way to design a mechanism that would fit inside the wing.

(bit of woodwork involved too!)

That is awesome Martin.. Lovely..

"A far, far greater chance of that for lots of people than just popping to their nearest model shop for that piece of triangular stock" 

Then wonder why the nearest model shop closes down?

Now, if the nearest model shop grabbed the idea and bought a 3D printer, customers could email print files to them and pay to have them printed. A whole world opens up for aftermarket details and parts for existing kits in the same vein as in static modelling.

Control horns, hinges, wheel hubs, instrument panels, servo mounts, switch mounts, wing bolts, spats, dowels etc etc. 

With 3D scanning, old, out of production spares can be reproduced. Plugs for moulding other parts etc.