Euros 2020 ? Football.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Brits will be using the famous Maradona goal to justify dodgy refereeing decisions for years to come. 

Not knocking the England team. They played brilliantly and deserved the win.

Edited by Gary Manuel

7 hours ago, Gary Manuel said:

Yep. Fingers crossed.

And everything else, England will need need all the luck they can get against Italy. 

I'm not a football fan as such but it gives the country a boost when we do well at any sport so - GOOD LUCK Lads

Then and now, the officials declared them to be a goal.  VAR wasn't available then but it was last night and it didn't overrule the referree = must be a goal.  You can argue about the what ifs till the cows come home but it remains a fact that in the referee's mind a foul was committed.

Only a couple of years ago, Frank Lampard’s one against Germany was literally a yard over the line but ruled not to have crossed it so mistakes are made. I’m no fan of VAR but it was used correctly in this case. While video footage can show clear and obvious errors, the referee was a few yards from the incident and had a good view of the actions of both Danish players. 

Good point John - yes, the Kane “foul” was dubious at best and decisions go both ways. I suspect that if the balance had swung the other way we’d be moaning over the standard of refereeing but, trying to take a balanced view, I think the result was a fair reflection of the match - and Southgate’s game management in particular. 

That free kick was a thing of beauty to anyone but an England player or supporter - one to be savoured after the game had finished!

How on earth can you ask a teenager to take the final penalty? Surely one of the senior players ought to have taken that.

Over the 120 minutes Italy were the better side - England had the best of the first 20 minutes, but the rest of the game was Italy's.

That was the switch than Manchini made - he recognised that it was going against them and he changed it around, the game changed then and Italy started to boss the midfield.

Don't agree with these silly shuffles and gamesmanship on a penalty. Just hit the ball and put it in a corner. Maguire's was perfect.

Have to agree there John, Italy changed their approach, great management, and we just couldn't get the ball and when we did get it we didn't seem to be able to keep it or create attacking chances like we did in the first half. Not one attempt on goal from Kane throughout the whole match (apart from his penalty), that says a lot.

There was a chance to re-set during half time and Gareth should have brought Grealish and Rashford on then to keep the pressure on Italy.  I thought that Kane was not used in his proper role, the quality of the crosses was poor apart from the one that led to the goal.  Ah well, World Cup up next.

The inevitable racist abuse directed at the three young players who failed to convert their penalties, after the event. The FA/Police/Social media providers need to collaborate to identify the perpetrators and take the appropriate actions, with regards to bans and prosecutions.

As for the MP opining that Marcus Rashford ought to concentrate on his penalty technique, rather than getting involved with politics, words fail me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3