BMFA Classifieds ???????

Hi Guys

Trying to message a member selling in item on the BMFA classifieds. Tried to log in to the BMFA  but somewhere my username and password have fallen off the perch.

Finally logged in using an out of date e-mail as my username, and managed to reset my password.

Ok, good to go, oh no I'm not.

Apparently I need to register separately to use the classifieds.

Tried using both my old and new e-mail addresses and my newly reset password, with no result.

Why do things have to be so complicated. I can just about understand if I wanted to use the classifieds to sell something but all I want to do is contact a member about something he is selling.

Anybody shed any light?

jeff Cottrell

Advert

I am having the same problem with the BMFA classifieds. I can log in to the member portal but when I go to classifieds I can't get on, it wold not accept my password so I requested a new password and then it would not accept my user name I have not been able to change this so I gave up after many attempts.

Saved money on not being able to contact the sellers.

Hi Guys

Eric

Not surprised you gave up, me too.

Wonder if anyone on the forum does have authorisation to use the classifieds. If so, could they have a look at item number 113586, listed by Alastair Strang.

Any chance of getting a message to him asking to contact me either on [email protected] or through this forum.

Thanks

Jeff

4 hours ago, Mike T said:

Colin Chapman (Lotus) coined an old adage which has been widely adopted by aeromodellers; maybe the BMFA could adopt it too: "Simplify and add lightness..."

There is nothing to stop sellers putting their e-mail and phone number on the ad, but then they run the risk of the scammers, so you have the option to only allow registered members to contact you. But yes I have contacted sellers on behalf of clubmates you have either forgotten their login details or hadn't/couldn't register.

5 hours ago, Mike T said:

Colin Chapman (Lotus) coined an old adage which has been widely adopted by aeromodellers; maybe the BMFA could adopt it too: "Simplify and add lightness..."

The issue here is that the Azolve membership portal (which was launched a long time after the current iteration of the BMFA website) is hosted elsewhere, probably on Azolve’s own infrastructure or one of the major cloud providers such as AWS or Msoft Azure. As a result they do not share the same access control system - with enough engineering effort they probably could, but given how old the current BMFA website is they will be reticent to go that route. 

I am pretty sure the BMFA have stated previously that a new website is on the way based on the platform used for the membership portal. If that is the case it will solve this issue, though I am not sure whether a members only classifieds will be well used in the future; the rise of eBay, FB groups and FB marketplace etc means a lot of people will use those as well as/instead of the BMFA classifieds. Due to the login challenges for buyers with the BMFA I did that for my last two sales and was successful very quickly using FB Marketplace.

Despite the occasional scammer, I think the BMFA classified are well trusted in the aeromodelling community and remain the preferred option for a great many.  I buy more than I sell, but either way I've (touch wood) never had a bad experience.  Complexities such as those described will likely kill it unless addressed, which would be A Bad Thing (but hey, what's one more amongst the myriad others?..)

• Like 1

Hi Guys

While I agree with everything said here, still can't see why I shouldn't be able to use the same log in details for Azolve and Classifieds.

I do hope the classifieds are retained when they finally migrate to the new host.

I find e-bay to be full of overpriced rubbish, and I am not a Facebook member, and don't intend to be.

BMFA is a modelers only site so the things advertised are directly related to what we do.

Meanwhile, got a couple of replies to my e-mails.

First was a link to reset my password. Don't know if this refers to the classifieds, but probably not. To be on the safe side I reset my password to the same one I had used all along.

It gave my username as my current e-mail address, and I can now log in to classifieds using that e-mail and password.

However if I want to sign in to Azolve, I still have to use a 2 year out of date e-mail as my username, even with the same password.

Wonder if BMFA will let me change my username, so I can have the same log in details on both sites.

The other e-mail has just got me confused:

'Your user account at The British Model Flying Association has been recently updated to include access to the following Security Role:'
Role: Senior

Apparently I now have a senior security role, eh???? Wonder if I'm getting paid for it!

Right hand, left hand, say hello to each other.

Cheers

Jeff

Jeffrey,

You can get your Azolve username changed if you ask the BMFA directly. Andy Symons changed mine for me on request some time back when I had to change my e-mail account.

I find the people in the BMFA office are always helpful (I am a club administrator so do have the occasional query for them).

As far as I know there is no reason why you can't have the same username and password for both Azolve and the BMFA Classifieds.

One aspect of the BMFA Classifieds that I do find annoying is sometimes not receiving responses to questions sent via the BMFA messaging system. I initially thought that the sellers were just not replying but it appears that on some occasions replies never get forwarded to my e-mail for some reason, although the responses do usually appear in the 'User Control Panel'.

Brian.

Hi RottenRow

Got an e-mail into BMFA asking that same thing. The ideal solution would be able to sign in to Azolve and be automatically signed in to classifieds as well, but since that won't be happening any time soon, having the same sign in details for both is a good compromise.

Meanwhile, changing the subject.

Anyone know why a listing should disappear from the classifieds? Looking at them yesterday I saw an advert headed 'Balsa, balsa, balsa from a guy selling of his stock of balsa.

Couldn't message him then, now I can this advert seems to have gone from the site.

Any ideas?

Jeff

18 minutes ago, cymaz said:

The “search by location” tab doesn’t work.

several pages seem to be not working. It looks like a hack or breakdown.....or me perhaps???

Search by location is working, you do need to select a location with some ads posted though. ?

No hack or breakdown, although a recent DNN update changed the appearance of all the pages but I'm working through it. Hoping to launch the new website and classifieds service around the time of the BMFA AGM.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1