Heating your build space..

I'm sure I'm not the only one relegated to an outbuilding, garage or a shed to carry out our dirty deeds and with the rising costs of energy I'm curious as to how others heat their spaces now the colder weather is drawing in? Any tips or ideas for keeping more ££ for essential models..

How do models during building fair if we only heat the space when we are working?

Advert

I build in my garage, which is poorly insulated. For the last couple of years I have used a 3kW fan heater, but given the situation I was trying to think of a cheaper simple alternative. I decided to try one of the small ceramic heaters that are built onto a mains plug, plugged into the socket above my workbench so it blows directly at me from a couple of feet away. Good results so far, a gentle warm waft on the lower setting has kept me cosy, although winter hasn't really taken hold yet. Of course, at 700W it's not going to heat the room much, but looks like a cost-effective compromise. 

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8736637

Edited by Trevor Crook
Added information.

For me the key thing is proper insulation and, with that in place, the battle is nearly won, since the amount of energy that you need to input to achieve a nice working temperature is very much reduced. My recent workshop conversion uses thick insulation (100mm Kingspan) to isolate the very cold stone walls from the plywood clad internal structure. As a result the air source heat pump on the outside wall and the distribution system inside only needs the wet radiators to be on the first notch on the thermostat most of the year, only going up to a slightly higher output on the coldest of days. I've been delighted with the system, which has exceeded my expectations.

• Like 3

Insulation is the right answer as it means dry, good storage conditions as well. My timber shed is insulated using cheap polystyrene bead panels in the walls. It's plenty effective for a shed.

For me, minimal application of a fan heater does the rest. 

Having to retrofit insulation is obviously not as easy as a heater though. 

2 hours ago, Allan Bennett said:

I work in my garage and just put on extra clothing, and rely on my car engine to give me some heat.  If it's been out in the morning it's surprising how warm it stays through the best part of the afternoon.

I suppose I must post a warning -- don't run you car engine in the garage 😒

And also don't drink the battery acid it is not cheap Whisky,,,🤣

Pluss one for a diesel heater. Cheap to run on red diesel (or it was year). Yet to buy more fuel for this winter so it will be interesting to see how much the cost has increased by.

For those in Bedfordshire the garage on the A6 by Clophill sells red diesel. Their petrol price also beats many in our area.

Would also agree with leccyflyer that good insulation is the key to a warm workshop. I used 50mm on the floor and roof and find it very effective.