Which Cub to build?

Mr Ficky

I'd like to build a cub for my next project. I'm not vastly experienced at modelling but I'd like a challenge, and something not too big. I'll also be flying electric. 

I'm tempted to get the plan from Sarik for the clipped wing Piper J3 Cub, (56") designed by Phil Kent.

Has anyone got any experience with this plan?  What power set up did you use? Any difficulties building it?

How does this plan compare to the other cub plans?

Any advice greatly appreciated. 

p-4064-0015091_clipped-wing-piper-j-3-cub.jpeg

Advert

The DB Sport and Scale is a good one, 84inch (1/5 scale), very “traditional” kit. Looks good and flys well though it is worth repeating that a Cub looks like a trainer but does have some quirks where handling is concerned. I’ve had one (electrified) for donkey’s years and it gets flown quite regularly.

David

Hi Mr Flicky, Can you find a flair cub? There are two versions, one with a built up wing, and one with a foam/obechi  job.

I learned to fly on one, and then built a second one, it was that good. Unlike a true scale cub, the flair one is really a trainer. It's not exact scale, but can be made to look pretty good, as long as you don't want the 'grasshopper' version with all the glazing.

I did strengthen the fuselage structure under the wing, mainly because it broke on version 1

ernie

10 hours ago, Mr Ficky said:

Thanks for your suggestions and comments. I did think of the DB S & S, but I think it's a bit too big for me.

I'll check out the Flair Cub.

😃

84 inch sounds big but its really not when it comes to a cub. A bit like a glider the wings are pretty long/thin and the fuselage relatively dinky. 

I had a goldberg cub many years ago with a 48 4 stroke i it. They were 76 inch if memory serves and it was not a big model at all. 

Even if the DB is still a bit big i would recommend at least 70 inch as 56 is really tiny when it comes to cub. My Nieuport 17 is 52 inch and it fits in my vw golf/ford focus size car without taking it apart. 

The flair cub is a good shout if you can find one

If the Philip Kent 56 inch Cub suits you then build that - it's from a very reputable designer and laser cut parts are available from Sarik.    It's for a 40 four stroke so a something like a 500 watt electric motor with a 4S 3000 and 40 amp ESC should suit - depending on the actual weight when built.   Making a hatch for access to change the Lipo is something you will need to work out for yourself - probably moving the engine bulkhead forward a bit would help and also help get the Lipo forward to help CG.

Until recently Philip Kent sold his plans himself ( as well as thro Sarik ) via his club website (Brighouse MAC )which gave his phone number but it's disappeared now.   Maybe someone knows the current contact details?

The Flair Cub has been unavailable for years now  unless you find an old  kit on Ebay or someone restarts production.

Edited by kc

Jack Headley, a prolific designer in the 70s & 80s, did this Cub with an all sheet balsa fuselage, which was originally a full-size pull out plan in Aeromodeller.  At 52" span it should fly on a fairly cheap & cheerful motor and battery combination.

Jack Headley's Piper Cub on Outerzone

1536889657_JackHeadleyCubPlan.jpg.b133a9d05b534105ebbf7d0a67160b76.jpg1239026145_JackHeadleyCubImage.jpg.a581a7011a7ae11f1fd86ad10abaac60.jpg

Edited by Robin Colbourne

Cubs are great, and can be really good fun. 

From experience of having flown several - I currently have three - the slightly larger ones (80" to 100") are the most rewarding to fly. 

They have wonderfully cheeky flight characteristics which will put a smile on the face seasoned flyers.  

However, don't make the mistake of thinking they are trainers. . . They need to be "flown" and require the application of rudder in the turns. 

Without it (rudder) the model will wallow around when making turns and the tail will hang down... Basically, it will look and handle like it's bored and "drunk".  🥴

Get it right, and the model will come alive. 👍

Have fun. 

• Like 1