Visiting a flying Field/Club

tiny-james

So I contacted a club near me.

After some facebook messages I'm now going to visit this club on Sunday. I would like your help please.

What questions should I be asking the Club I already know when the date when club fees are due So that's sorted but what should I be asking and why.

BMFA and CAA are required this is a given 

I have CAA but it will need renewing (yearly I think)

Advert

If you are new to flying find out about what training and assistance they can give you. 

If anybody is looking to join our club we always ask them to come and fly with us first before we take any money off them, if they are new to flying we make sure there is a buddy box for them to have a go on. We have had a few potential members who decided our trees weren't to their liking.....................................

• Like 1

Well ask about anything you don't understand.....but don't ask questions when someone is flying or starting their engines or even when preparing their models.  Nobody wants distractions then which might cause a crash.  The time to ask is when the pilot has completed a flight and is relaxing.

Ask particularly what is the safe way to start an engine or connect up an electric motor to the Lipo.   Ask what safety rules the club has.   Ask what the flying area is and the no-fly areas.

Ask the owner to show you any parts of his model you don't understand and perhaps point out the correct way to connect up servos, clevices etc.   Ask what items should be checked in a pre flight check.    All things to get the conversation going and learn the way the club does things.

One obvious thing to NOT do is to touch anyones model and especially the Tx -unless you have been given permission.  ( electric models could start up instantly by touching a Tx )

Things I'd ask:

Where are the 'rules' re flying areas - if they are not in a web site, you should ask for a copy

What are the safety rules - ditto

What are flying restrictions, e.g, no i.c. before 10:00, no turbines between June and September - ditto

Who usually flies when

Who are the instructors

Who do you contact if you have a query, and how do you contact them

What social/non flying events are there

Do members let each other know when they are visiting the field; if so, how

Then, feel free to ask specific things about specific models - whatever you want to know.  Usual etiquette applies - e.g. don't monopolise anyone so they get no flying time, don't distract anyone flying/starting engines, only touch what you own (unless invited), don't ask multiple people the same questions (tricky one this!)

• Like 1

i had my first visit yesterday to PANDAS field at pontefract. Loaded with wanting to find answers. The members and trainers I met answered most that I needed to know and put it in some kind of order what I needed to do. Introduced me to their trainer plane and allowed me to actually do a little buddy flight. I had a wonderful time that left me with direction. So by today I have now got my flyer id, operator ID, club membership and I'm taking my plane on wednesday for an experienced pilot to check it out for me. Way more than I had ever imagined just Happened! If thats the normal Club spirit youre in for a fun day.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Phil Brunt said:

Way more than I had ever imagined just Happened! If that's the normal Club spirit you're in for a fun day.

This was exactly what happened to me, the emphasis being to get me in the air on my first visit. Not PANDAS BTW, so I wonder if all clubs are the same, it would be nice to think they are.

I was told that I did not need BMFA membership for the first three trial days as the instructor, with the Tx on the other end of the buddy lead, was the responsible person. My club now has two club trainers, Electric and IC, two Txs and buddy leads. The idea being if anyone turns up for a trial they can be in the air in minutes. All obstacles have been removed along with all negativities that first timers can be burdened with. Once back on the ground the joy of that first flight is written all over every first timers face. I like seeing people having fun.  

• Like 6

What mode do they fly?  If everyone is mode 2 (throttle on the left) and you buy a mode 1 transmitter, you may have trouble finding an instructor to help you.
What are the main flying days? 
Is there a waiting list to join?  If you were able to commit to only flying on the quieter days, they may make an exception for you.  I joined a club to fly at when working away in the week, and as I wouldn't be flying there at weekends, their busy time, they let me in.
Expect a good grilling yourself.  A club that has gone to great lengths to secure a place to fly will be looking for responsible people who care about the club and the site as much as they do.  Not all modellers are the epitomy of tact and diplomacy, so if some of the questions appear rude or unnecessarily intrusive, then cut them a bit of slack and just be polite.

Find out what they expect from you. Clubs don't run themselves, and working parties fixing the access track, gates, fences etc. or a spell on the committee may be expected in due course.

4 hours ago, Phil Brunt said:

i had my first visit yesterday to PANDAS field at pontefract. Loaded with wanting to find answers. The members and trainers I met answered most that I needed to know and put it in some kind of order what I needed to do. Introduced me to their trainer plane and allowed me to actually do a little buddy flight. I had a wonderful time that left me with direction. So by today I have now got my flyer id, operator ID, club membership and I'm taking my plane on wednesday for an experienced pilot to check it out for me. Way more than I had ever imagined just Happened! If thats the normal Club spirit youre in for a fun day.

Excellent!  Onwards and upwards.....

• Like 2

Well I've had my walk about with one of the club members today.

The member I saw was proud of his part in the club and what a great club it is. I was greeted with a warm and welcome embrace and after a coffee we when back outside where I was shown the flying area and also two other flying areas one for line and one for hel’s I was also shown the limits of the flying area and where to look out for the public as there is a public footpath at the very bottom of the flying area (good news, not used very often). I was shown the workshop/den separate building toilets both men and female very important for me as I’m on water-tables. A well-fitted kitchen area with all that’s needed. So after all that we went through a check list (yep they had a form for visitors) to make sure he hadn’t miss anything of which I had to sign and date he also did the same. He was so friendly and answered all my questions.

I’m so impressed with what I have see and can’t wait to join and only 30 minuets from home which is good and means I can just pop over and fly if I want too at anytime club fee’s are also not to bad and it’s also very family friendly with BBQ’s in the warmer day’s

I have found my forever flying field lol

• Like 9

19 hours ago, Robin Colbourne said:

What mode do they fly?  If everyone is mode 2 (throttle on the left) and you buy a mode 1 transmitter, you may have trouble finding an instructor to help you...

Point of information, of the thirty-three members of my club here in France, only two of us are Mode 2, me and another bloke who lives in Germany and works in Belgium so we rarely see him. I have helped with the instruction of three Mode 1 club members after they have had a few flights with the Chief Flying Instructor. It's not as easy to teach a Mode 1 trainee when you're Mode 2 but it can be done. Basic training is about increasing a beginner's self confidence by giving him plenty of time in the air.

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/12/2022 at 18:53, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

Personally I'd just find out what days I can get instruction, then I'd just socialize and enjoy the day.

I would completely agree with this. focus on finding the individuals who enjoy doing instruction they will make you feel welcome. 

We always advise a newbie to purchase two TX & suitable lead, once they have decided to join the club / purchase a suitable mode etc.

Most of us are on Mode 2, but we have several club trainers on both modes.

Newbies just want to get stick time, so turning up with two TX set up to the model, cuts the hanging about time to minimum. 

With the advent of electric flight, it is MUCH easier to get newbies in the air. Turn up with everything charged. Plug everything in. Do pre flight check. Fly and have fun.

Over the years, I have lost count of the hours I have spent trying to coax a worn out ic motor (bought cheap on e.bay), attached to an equally battered trainer (bought cheap on e.bay) etc. etc. Newbie goes away suitably downhearted in the worst case.

We never seem to have a problem selling on trainers / TX etc. to other newbies, so gear does get re-cycled!. 

• Like 1