Phil Kent Cub

Flying Squirrel

Hi All, maybe I've bitten off more than I can chew here but I bought the Phillip Kent clipped wing cub from Sarik thinking it shouldn't be too hard to build given given I'm best part through a Seagull P47 kit and I thought it should make a good stepping stone before flying the P47.

However, I've studied the plans for quite some and although I can decipher most of it the aileron hinges have me baffled, I'll put the picture below but it looks like some kind of robart hinge installed at an angle which leaves quite a sizeable gap? It also looks like some kind of pull system? Also it doens't detail any of the servo mounting so any guidance would be welcomed with open arms!!

I'm sure I'll have more questions 

20230115_133548.jpg

Advert

It looks like a frese aileron (not sure of correct spelling) .When up aileron is used the bit at the bottom sticks out adding drag to counter the drag effect of the other aileron going down .It’s supposed to eliminate adverse aileron yaw .The way its drawn with a bent robart hinge won’t allow any upward travel .If I was building the model I wouldn’t bother with that method I’m not much concerned with scale detail I prefer a practical model 

• Thanks 1

I believe it necessary to have a clearance slot where each hinge is to allow the upward travel Alan noted.   Same as Peter Millers 58 inch Turbulent for RCMW decades ago.

I expect Phillip Kent wanted a true scale model for competition so included this detail.   Easier  to do it a simple way though.

• Like 1

It would help with a top or bottom view of the hinge. As shown it does look as if the hinge won't allow upward movement. There needs to be a slot above the hinge to allow upwards movement.

To me the top gap will close a bit as the aileron moves down with hinge pivot point where it is,

Frise aileron:-

Edited by John Wagg
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kc said:

I believe it necessary to have a clearance slot where each hinge is to allow the upward travel Alan noted.   Same as Peter Millers 58 inch Turbulent for RCMW decades ago.

I expect Phillip Kent wanted a true scale model for competition so included this detail.   Easier  to do it a simple way though.

That's interesting as the plan actually has Peter Millers name on, I'll research the turbulent and see if it helps guide me. Thanks for the steer.

2 hours ago, david tilbury said:

Below is an L4....but aileron the same as a Cub.....hope it helps

2006-03-31_222456_blister_1_350_x_256_jpg.jpg

2006-03-31_222523_blister_2_350_x_523_jpg.jpg

2006-04-01_135620_horn_460_x_338.jpg

L4J97.jpg

Thanks, Yes, that looks identical, I don't suppose you have an image of the actual servo connection??

Although I'm not actuially that concerned about 'scale appearance' It's a great learning curve for me and somehow I feel I'd be doing the designer an injustice just to bail out and do some kind of 'conventional' setup so all this help is much appreciated 👍

The plan for Peter Miller's Turbulent that is on Outerzone seems to be the same design as his RCMW one but printed differently and does not show the hinge detail that I recall is on his RCMW Traplet plan.  It used a horn ( normal type used on elevator or rudder etc)  as a pivot at end and another pin as pivot at inner rib.  The horn is supposed to have a square U shaped piano wire piece to fit aileron onto pivot horn (hinge).  An L shape rather than U might be easier to fit.

So Peter's idea might suit the Cub too.

Edited by kc

Aileron 1

A couple of quick photos of the aileron setup on the Turbulent.   The red is a plastic tube which goes onto the piano wire pin extreme right ( to avoid metal to metal which was thought a problem when this model was started 25 years ago!) which is one pivot.

The other pivot is the  L shaped pin shown partly inserted at the horn used as a pivot.

All Peter Miller's invention of course.

1-IMG_2331.JPG

1-IMG_2329.JPG

.picasa.ini .picasa.ini

• Thanks 1

Having looked again at the Turbulent I think Phil Kent's use of Robart type hinges might be better.   It might be a good idea to make a mock up of the aileron and TE in scrap wood to see if the thing works and most important can be assembled after covering etc.  Getting 2 hinges inserted might be tricky but 3 or more in a dead straight hinge line might be near impossible!    It needs a bit of thought before starting I reckon.

Note my photos shows the underside of course - wing was inverted to show detail.  It's all hidden away under the wing when finished.

• Like 1

When you are building your own model, its entirely up to you how you deal with these things.  You could fit the simplest hinge - you might need to adjust the mating faces of the wing / aileron to square / bevelled, or you can go forthe most accurate scale representation of the real thing.  One will soak up way more time than the other.  The important thing (IMHO) is to press on and finish the model in a resonable time scale and in a way that satisfies you.

Phil Kent's plans will be heavily weighted towards scale accuracy but it will make no difference to the way it flies and little difference to the way it looks if you simplify it. 

Get it finished and get it flown.  The next build will always be better

• Like 1

OK, so next obviously newbie  builder type question..

The plan has a 3/16 box section fusalage which is fine but it also says '1/8 Balsa stringers' down each side but only an indicative line, is this some form of 'shorthand' for installing opposing diaganals between each box?  The text from one of the articals I've found reads..."There are two 1/8 stringersthat run to the tail each side of the fusalage. These should be glued in place and then faired to the shape indicated on the drawing" - I can't see anywere else on the drawing that shows these 'stringers'

The section in question 

image.thumb.png.6a82300a1c5d472c01a07c0129a5c0bc.png

Any ideas to help a relative new builder trying to keep the building side of the hobby alive, there's no real builders in my club 😞

Quite often these stringers etc are shown on the cross sections ( the formers ) which helps a lot.  Is the stringer shown on F4 ?   Often drawn on one side only or shaped ( tapered perhaps ) on one side but not the other.

13 minutes ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

Think they're to add shape rather than a slab sided box.

So on the outside? And how do they 'cross'. Also they are not drawn lik ethe the other components,, just a dashed line that extends beyond the fus, mor elike I'd expect a control rod to look but that makes no sense either.

I know folks will be thinking "just go build a wot 4 or something" but I'm pretty determind to crack this!  And before I finish the P47..there's only so much space on the dining room table!

20221226_220318.thumb.jpg.b943ad0a4c00da8ec88f19e34e9b9990.jpg

6 minutes ago, kc said:

Quite often these stringers etc are shown on the cross sections ( the formers ) which helps a lot.  Is the stringer shown on F4 ?   Often drawn on one side only or shaped ( tapered perhaps ) on one side but not the other.

I think I understand what you're saying but there's only a cross section of f2 and that just shows the box and former