How NOT to hand start a full size plane!!!!

martin collins 1

Advert

Try going to the main page it was hosted on, it is the first video at the top of the page, let me know if you still see it there?

Video was uploaded yesterday so may be slightly further down for you, it shows at the top for me as it says recently viewed.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/270967650217273/?hoisted_section_header_type=recently_seen&multi_permalinks=1199851013995594

Edited by martin collins 1

Ok, that may explain it, i did look for it on Youtube but drew a blank. Basically a guy swings the prop to start his Piper Cherokee, brakes are not on and no chocks, he tries running round the wing to get in but by this time it is moving and he is desperately grabbing the wing to try and slow it. The plane is on tarmac and the wing hits a parked car halfway along it`s length taking the skin back to the main spar and this swings it round the far side of the car where the prop rips into the side of it before stopping the engine. I know it loses it`s impact (excuse the pun) if you can`t watch it!

Yes probably private all I get is this,,

A local at Montpellier was starting his Longeez and that went bowling across the aerodrome and into the marshes, and I remember when I was doing my PPL at Washington ( Sunderland) a Tipsy junior was turning when he got it started and the pilot was hitching a ride on the wing, luckily we managed to stop the plane.

Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 17-25-42 Old Airlines Aircraft and Airports of the past Facebook.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martin collins 1 said:

Ok, that may explain it, i did look for it on Youtube but drew a blank. Basically a guy swings the prop to start his Piper Cherokee, brakes are not on and no chocks, he tries running round the wing to get in but by this time it is moving and he is desperately grabbing the wing to try and slow it. The plane is on tarmac and the wing hits a parked car halfway along it`s length taking the skin back to the main spar and this swings it round the far side of the car where the prop rips into the side of it before stopping the engine. I know it loses it`s impact (excuse the pun) if you can`t watch it!

Probably a good outcome considering what the alternative could have been..

• Like 1

Yep worked for me.

That pilot has got to be the dumbest sob I've ever seen.  Why didn't he put the parking brakes on?  Even Cherry Trees have parking brakes!  Well, my very old Cessna 150 had parking brakes but it also had an electric starter and I never had to hand swing it to start it!  Some mothers eh?

I’ve hand swung a C150 a couple of times but it was  chocked or tied down with a pilot sitting in it. I had to swing the prop on my Turbulent as there wasn’t an electric start fitted but I carried a pair of portable chocks, plus I had my ‘patented’ homemade device for pinning the tail skid to the ground. I also used the harness to strap the stick fully back. Belt and braces - safety is no accident!

I’m led to believe that this wasn’t a pilot preparing for flight but a mechanic called out to deal with a starter fault. It seems that he was attempting to unjam the bendix by turning the propeller and it fired unexpectedly. 

Yes, he should have checked the mags were off, brakes should have been set and the wheels chocked (magnetos are turned off by being grounded via a switch in order to fail “safe” in flight so should always be regarded as potentially live) but it puts a slightly different complexion on the incident.