Bolt sizes for engine mounting

Tim Donald

I'm assembling a Ripmax Bolero and have the Ripmax IC installation pack but the supplied bolts for engine mounting are M4.  I am using a Saito 82 and the maximum size of bolt that would fit through the lugs is 3.5mm (same on the recommended OS 55Ax).  I have some M3 nuts / bolts but they seem quite thin compared to the supplied M4.  Will M3 stainless steel hex cap bolts be strong enough for the Saito?  Otherwise I could drill out the lugs on the engine for M4 but don't want to do that in case it weakens it.   I could source some M3.5 bolts / nuts but I can't understand why Ripmax would supply bolts that don't fit the engine that they recommend?  Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help !

1 hour ago, Tim Donald said:

Thanks John / Denis.  Yes the M4 for the mount to bulkhead is fine.  OK I will try to get some M3.5 - they don't seem very common though - most places seem to only have M3 and M4.  Thanks for your help.

I think that’s an Imperial/ Metric clash, as KC says, that’s a UNC ( measured in inches hole, converted to an unpopular metric bolt.)
Use the smaller 3 mm metric, washer needed, or buy some UNF. But either will work. The motor won’t fall off.
Stress is reserved, I note you have no tomatoes, to important stuff. I ate the first of the spring asparagus up from Spain this weekend. If you don’t get any, don’t worry, I will oblige. Honest. 

• Like 1

According to Model Fixings the 6 UNC bolt is just 1/5th of a thou bigger than M3.5.

I note that many electrical fittings have M3.5 bolts so there might be some spare in electrical stuff.   Might have Phillips heads though.

Many electric fliers would willingly swop four M3.5 for the M3 that are often needed for electric motors.  I would!  Worth asking clubmates? 

• Like 1

I've always used m3 cap heads for mounting my Saito 82's and recently put a Hurricane in vertical after the flight battery failed, the engine had to be dug out of the ground which was soft fortunately and the 3mm bolts had sheared off, thicker bolts may have broken the engine lugs. After a good clean up and check the engine was started up and run fine. It is now mounted in an old but good Acrowot to flight test it.

• Like 1

3m Nuts and bolts are more than adequate for a Saito 82 assuming you use washers  . 0.5 mil clearance on the lugs is fine provided the mount is the correct size for the engine and the Crank case fits snugly between the mounting arms . If you want to use  3.5 mil bolts and are having trouble then give Rapid RC a ring , they have plenty in stock but 3mil m will be ok . Typical of  Ripmax to supply 4mm nuts and bolts for a recommended AS 55 engine. If it was a 180 FS then ok . No wonder we see so many engines with drilled out lugs . Like a lot of hardware provided with ARTF's its either rubbish or just not up to the job .

• Like 1

Thanks Engine Doctor,  3mm now installed.  I must say the Bolero so far has been disappointing.  Shipped with snapped servo tray / former just glued back together,  very poorly fitting canopy / hatch (big gap at the back  where they meet but are made at different angles).  It's taken me longer to assemble and sort out the problems then building a kit would have done.  Also lots of mods needed to use a 4 stroke as no provision for throttle / servo on the opposite side etc.  Hope it flys well to make up for the effort.  

I stand to be corrected by a qualified mechanical engineer but as far as I'm aware, bolts are designed to pass through holes with clearance and retain components by their clamping force.  Other than tensile strength, the main benefit of using the "correct" size is less potential for misalignment during assembly - often, critical alignments will employ accurately ground locating pins.

• Like 3