First taste of the sky

toto

Advert

25 minutes ago, toto said:

Well another couple of steps closer to having the Frankinstar ready for Saturday.

All physical repairs are now done as of today and the NX8 and NX6 transmitter have been bound and are both working fine. A bit more to be done on ensuring the dual rates have been set up correct and working on both transmitters. Once I have them set on the NX8 which I have been trying to do .... they should automatically flood through to the NX6 when the pupil ( me ) is given control.

There seems to be something I'm doing wrong with programming the NX8 at the moment with regards to the transmitter accepting my dual rate inputs ...... but I will get this .... confidence is high.

cheers

toto 

Which mode are you using, Pilot link Master or Programmable Master?

1 hour ago, toto said:

You ought to see the sparks when I hit the switch ..... is that normal ..... or is that another task ....😄

toto

As long as you have plenty of thunder and lightning Toto and with Frankenstar layed out on the bench and all wired up, that should provide enough volts to see the monster arise and give life back into its body again.  

I'm confident enough has been done to ensure that she is fit to fly. Ok ..... I am still relying on " at the field assistance " with regards to the engine performing but I'm sure that will happen.

My plan is ..... if that fails ..... and any issue is clearly an engine one ...... then I will be grasping the nettle and spending the following weekend investigating that based on my ... growing .... understanding of all things engines. I've put myself through quite an intense learning curve on everything else .... engines will be no different.

I have limited resource in terms of where I can indulge myself in conducting engine set ups so it really gas to be the field for how.

All going ok this weekend ..... hopefully ..... then I will be looking at setting up the second Force engine which is earmarked for the moon Walker at the club field facilities by myself either on a test bench or in the finished model. 

The challenge will be on me in order to skip reliance of others going forward as much as possible.

We'll see ..... I could be eating my words.

Toto

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, toto said:

I'm confident enough has been done to ensure that she is fit to fly. Ok ..... I am still relying on " at the field assistance " with regards to the engine performing but I'm sure that will happen.

My plan is ..... if that fails ..... and any issue is clearly an engine one ...... then I will be grasping the nettle and spending the following weekend investigating that based on my ... growing .... understanding of all things engines. I've put myself through quite an intense learning curve on everything else .... engines will be no different.

I have limited resource in terms of where I can indulge myself in conducting engine set ups so it really gas to be the field for how.

All going ok this weekend ..... hopefully ..... then I will be looking at setting up the second Force engine which is earmarked for the moon Walker at the club field facilities by myself either on a test bench or in the finished model. 

The challenge will be on me in order to skip reliance of others going forward as much as possible.

We'll see ..... I could be eating my words.

Toto

You mean the Space Walker Toto.  I'm sure you are excited about this weekend .  I wish you all the best luck in the  world for you deserve it.  The work and research that you have put in has been nothing short of monumental and you will enevitably reap the rewards of all your hard earned labour.  I know ive said all this before, but it's worth repeating.   Determination and perseverence will get you over the finish line and when the time comes that you crack this nut ie solo the Frankenstar,  and make a good landing, it will be better than winning lottery as the feeling it will give you will have you walking on air.  

• Like 1

Yes Aidan ... we are on the Eve of glory here.....:classic_biggrin:

I'll have another crack at checking my dual rates out tonight and also be checking transmitter batteries, receiver batteries, glow starter and a final going over prior to tomorrow.

The club gas sent an email around for volunteers for help on the final grass cut of the season, programmed at 1.00 PM tomorrow so I'll need to be up early to rake advantage of a 3 hour flying window. Hopefully I can still get a couple of flights in after the tests / checks are carried out.

Apparently we are expecting some storm conditions on Sunday ... :classic_sad:

Fingers crossed.

Toto

• Like 1

In the shed tonight getting everything tip top for tomorrow.

P1110713.thumb.JPG.4ada3b4c33652b7718e7b3bd3cfff910.JPG

started of with getting the charge on these transmitters topped up.

P1110717.thumb.JPG.ea810b9d6b5776af149c3867a608e04a.JPG

Glow starts and receiver batteries on the go.

P1110715.thumb.JPG.c7d0e56738a5ed7e527d77b7a10514fe.JPG

took the advice on turning the exhaust round to face downwards away from the model. Awaiting an exhaust port extension tube ordered earlier but it will probably be next week before that arrives. It may come tomorrow but I think that's wishful thinking on my behalf.

I still have to revisit the dual rates again but I'll leave that until I have refreshed my mind again on the subject from a combination of Utube and the manuals.

Not really much left on the tick list that I can do prior to tomorrow now ..... Ahhhhh ..... that means a talk with my mate John Smith might now be the order of the day. ..... just rewards.

cheers

toto

• Like 1

Hazzaaaaaaaaar 

Dual rates mastered and set for tomorrow. Not only dual rates ...... Ohhhhhhh no .... but a basic level of expo set as well.

Now before I explain what I have set them at ........... this is not up for debate ... 😄 I appreciate that what I am about to type in shall draw ... gasps .... exclamations of willful madness etc but I have to start with something and shall confer with my Instructor tomorrow and be guided ( with a good dollop of meaningful conversation ) by him for the time being. I do appreciate and respect the various suggestions that I am sure that I will get back on this but ..... I have a starting position ..... unless it is just crazy bonkers mad.

Set on the 3 position B switch

High Rate

Rate ..... 100 % ( Furthest away switch position )

Expo ..... 30 % 

Mid Rate

Rate ..... 80 % ( Mid switch position )

Expo ..... 20 %

Low Rate

Rate ..... 60 % ( Nearest switch position )

Expo ..... 0 %

delighted to have eventually worked it out and to have had a flick through the switch to test that the inputs are working as planned.

I may ..... fire up the model once the RX battery has fully charged and try flicking through the rates with the servo's doing their bit.

cheers

toto

• Like 2

1 hour ago, toto said:

In the shed tonight getting everything tip top for tomorrow.

P1110713.thumb.JPG.4ada3b4c33652b7718e7b3bd3cfff910.JPG

started of with getting the charge on these transmitters topped up.

P1110717.thumb.JPG.ea810b9d6b5776af149c3867a608e04a.JPG

Glow starts and receiver batteries on the go.

P1110715.thumb.JPG.c7d0e56738a5ed7e527d77b7a10514fe.JPG

took the advice on turning the exhaust round to face downwards away from the model. Awaiting an exhaust port extension tube ordered earlier but it will probably be next week before that arrives. It may come tomorrow but I think that's wishful thinking on my behalf.

I still have to revisit the dual rates again but I'll leave that until I have refreshed my mind again on the subject from a combination of Utube and the manuals.

Not really much left on the tick list that I can do prior to tomorrow now ..... Ahhhhh ..... that means a talk with my mate John Smith might now be the order of the day. ..... just rewards.

cheers

toto

All sorted and well organised for tomorrow Toto.  You've left nothing out.  On the stroke of midnight, a jubilant cry will heard coming from the Barons Castle, "Its Alive" "Its Alive"   The Frankenstar has been raised from the dead and will once more take to the skies .   

• Haha 1

So ....... my day at the field today.

Up at the field sharp at about 9.45. We can't fly until 10.00 am. Got the Frankinstar fuel up, wings on in the Pitts ready for 10.00am.

We have a short flight window today until 13.00pm as the clubs plans are to get the last grass cut before the weather turns.

The field was quiet with only a couple of folks there at the start if play. My Instructor was away collecting the grass cutting machinery and did n't get there until about 11.20.  All hands on rock to unload the trailer of the ride on mower and other petrol mowers.

Time eventually came to get the Frankinstar onto the starters bench and get the engine set up .... this took a bit of time.... then moving on to test the control surfaces and throttle cut etc. A few adjustments made to the dual rate. 

We were under pressure to get a move on to ensure that we could get a flight in so ... zero range check 

Due to the fact that the engine took so long to get going and the tweaks / maintainence that had been carried out over the past two weeks, my instructor decided that he would perform the take off in case any immediate trimming etc was needing done. ( happy with that ).

Sue took of fine and as suspected a bit trimming required. The engine sounded fine. The plane was handed over to me and she was flying pretty well. I was a little rusty as expected with my usual tendency to " over throw " but I soon got that a bit more in check. 

Just towards the end of the flight my instructor was asking me to take a left turn, so as requested ..... threw the aileron for a left ..... take a left he said ....... I am I said showing him my transmitter. He had to jump back on the sticks and performed a left.

So .... a few seconds later, I've been giving control back and all us well again.

The bottom line is ...... plane and general control surfaces work as required. Engine seems to be doing ok with no cut outs but there still seems to be intermittent issues with the transmitter/ receiver ..... and only when under the control of the NX6 ( student transmitter. So .... a little work still to be done but I feel there has been a step in the right direction.

So ..... one flight achieved and no plans for flying tomorrow as Hurricane Nigel is widely anticipated. ..... that's my weekend.

The plan ahead.

I will be in the shed tonight and will have a look at the flight log data again to see what that reports I  terms of holds etc. It may help clarify the lack of the transmitted surface throw from the student transmitter. 

Regardless, I think I am going to be forced into installing a different type of receiver with separate antennae just to rule in or rule out the AR620 type as being the issue if that's the case.

However, as well as that, I am going to bring my electric trainer ( the domino) into play and get that tested ready for bringing into play because if the receiver for the Frankinstar turns out not to be the issue, I cant spend any more time on it for now. I need to establish a reliable trainer with which to achieve regular flight time.

I'll start revising where I left off with the domino before and get back up to speed with it.

The above sounds a little grim again but I do think things have went forward a bit with it. It was a very short period of direction failure ( again, only on the student TX ). 

Now ....... a coffee ..... I need one.

Toto

• Like 5

1 hour ago, toto said:

So ....... my day at the field today.

Up at the field sharp at about 9.45. We can't fly until 10.00 am. Got the Frankinstar fuel up, wings on in the Pitts ready for 10.00am.

We have a short flight window today until 13.00pm as the clubs plans are to get the last grass cut before the weather turns.

The field was quiet with only a couple of folks there at the start if play. My Instructor was away collecting the grass cutting machinery and did n't get there until about 11.20.  All hands on rock to unload the trailer of the ride on mower and other petrol mowers.

Time eventually came to get the Frankinstar onto the starters bench and get the engine set up .... this took a bit of time.... then moving on to test the control surfaces and throttle cut etc. A few adjustments made to the dual rate. 

We were under pressure to get a move on to ensure that we could get a flight in so ... zero range check 

Due to the fact that the engine took so long to get going and the tweaks / maintainence that had been carried out over the past two weeks, my instructor decided that he would perform the take off in case any immediate trimming etc was needing done. ( happy with that ).

Sue took of fine and as suspected a bit trimming required. The engine sounded fine. The plane was handed over to me and she was flying pretty well. I was a little rusty as expected with my usual tendency to " over throw " but I soon got that a bit more in check. 

Just towards the end of the flight my instructor was asking me to take a left turn, so as requested ..... threw the aileron for a left ..... take a left he said ....... I am I said showing him my transmitter. He had to jump back on the sticks and performed a left.

So .... a few seconds later, I've been giving control back and all us well again.

The bottom line is ...... plane and general control surfaces work as required. Engine seems to be doing ok with no cut outs but there still seems to be intermittent issues with the transmitter/ receiver ..... and only when under the control of the NX6 ( student transmitter. So .... a little work still to be done but I feel there has been a step in the right direction.

So ..... one flight achieved and no plans for flying tomorrow as Hurricane Nigel is widely anticipated. ..... that's my weekend.

The plan ahead.

I will be in the shed tonight and will have a look at the flight log data again to see what that reports I  terms of holds etc. It may help clarify the lack of the transmitted surface throw from the student transmitter. 

Regardless, I think I am going to be forced into installing a different type of receiver with separate antennae just to rule in or rule out the AR620 type as being the issue if that's the case.

However, as well as that, I am going to bring my electric trainer ( the domino) into play and get that tested ready for bringing into play because if the receiver for the Frankinstar turns out not to be the issue, I cant spend any more time on it for now. I need to establish a reliable trainer with which to achieve regular flight time.

I'll start revising where I left off with the domino before and get back up to speed with it.

The above sounds a little grim again but I do think things have went forward a bit with it. It was a very short period of direction failure ( again, only on the student TX ). 

Now ....... a coffee ..... I need one.

Toto

Well done Toto, another small step forward in your quest for model aviation glory.   I am sitting reading this flight report of yours as I tuck into Cod and Chips here in Portrush looking out over the sea from the East Strand.   The Dolphin is the finest chippy in Portrush and will celebrate 40 years in business in 2024.  I have to say that reading your report is good for the digestive system as you are heading the right direction and as each weekend of flying passes by, your confidence will get that bit more pronounced.   With the electric Domino, it's flight characteristics will be slightly different than that of the glow engined power Frankenstar.    But all in all just another learning curve for you to conquer.   I personally like both electric and glow and you also will fall in love with what both have to offer.  It will keep your interest going and you will be learning more and more as the time goes on.  Anyway Toto it's back to the Fish and Chips here at the seaside , just watching the lifeguards pack up their equipment.   I think it's time now for a nice fruit trifle to round things off.  

• Like 1

Good to hear that you managed to get some flight time in Toto and made some progress. The forecast bad weather for tomorrow might not materialise until the afternoon, with any luck - depends who's forecast you believe. I'm at a loss as to a likely explanation for your apparent lack of response on just one particular instance on the pupil transmitter, but no doubt you will investigate in due course.

I’m again amazed that your instuctor would fly a mode so comprehensively reconfigured without a range check, but moving on…

Glad to hear it all went pretty well. Re the transient control issue, it doesn’t sound to me like the problem is between the master TX and the model, but the master and the slave. The important check is the master TX telemetry - if there’s no holds and an only the expected # of fades recorded, you can be comfortable that the RF issues are behind you and it was just a transient issue with the buddyng (or a instructor error as suggested above). Based on your description I’m 95% confident it’s a buddy issue, but the telemetry will confirm for sure. 

• Like 1

The flight lasted for around 8 minutes. I've not taken the model in from the car to the shed yet to either check the log data or how much fuel was used. Caught up in a couple of domestic chores. Hopefully I'll still have time to do that tonight before it gets too late.

The buddy system is operated to change control from the big black binding switch which the instructor holding. So maybe a bit of merit in what John suggests. The buddy system is set up wireless.

I know the system can be set up so the instructor can take back control by utilising his transmitter stuck movements rather than holding down the black bind button and releasing to take back control.

TBH I was convinced that was the way that I set it up in order to take the reliance in the instructor having to hold down the switch for extensive periods of time. ..... it must get uncomfortable.

He did make a few changes but I thought that was only to the dual rates that I had set. I'll maybe give him a call tomorrow and ask if he changed anything else. 

Tommorow I'll spend the first wee while just checking the model out again. I cleaned it straight after the flight but it was a bit of a rushed effort due to the rush to assist in the grass cutting. 

If I dont get as far as checking the data log tonight, I'll do that tomorrow as well and check the fuel level remaining in the tank.

After that ..... it's back onto the Domino.

I may he back later on some of the above.

Cheers

Toto

• Like 1